Become a Patron!

help with a custard recipe

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have done some DIY and have made some ok juice but the trial and error can take alot of time so I thought I would ask here and see if the more experienced can give some suggestions or recipes.

I am wanting to make a buttery vanilla filled custard but just dont know which brands of flavoring are best. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's SO personal with this stuff man... There's really no "best," and custard is one of those flavorings that any singular company might make 2 or 3 different kinds of... so there's LOTS to choose from!

I've used Nicotine River... Flavor West and The Flavor Apprentice are good places to start with regards to brand, since they make inexpensive flavorings compared to some others. best of luck!

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's SO personal with this stuff man... There's really no "best," and custard is one of those flavorings that any singular company might make 2 or 3 different kinds of... so there's LOTS to choose from!

I've used Nicotine River... Flavor West and The Flavor Apprentice are good places to start with regards to brand, since they make inexpensive flavorings compared to some others. best of luck!
I get that taste are subjective I just dont want to buy 4 or 5 different brands if I dont have to. I was just hoping that maybe a few Diy er's that have made some recipes could recommend some flavorings that have worked out for them. I seen a recipe on another thread that I am going to try. I have learned the hard way that not all brands of flavoring work the same in a recipe, I made the mistake of not recording the brand along with the flavor and % in a recipe and never could get it right again.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am wanting to make a buttery vanilla filled custard but just dont know which brands of flavoring are best. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

CAP Vanilla Custard v1 is still "top dog" IMO, and used in many Custard recipes.
But some recipes using higher amounts I didn't care for.
Still like it but just use less than most.
You'll have to experiment some to find your own "sweet spot".

CAP has some good Butter flavors to help with the "buttery" part
CAP Sweet Cream may help with more creaminess.
or CAP Vanilla Whipped Cream even

Many choices for more Vanilla-ish add-ons.
CAP/TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
INW Shisha Vanilla
INW Vanilla Bourbon
TFA Vanilla Swirl

Pretty much all good useful flavors for other recipes besides.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All of my purely just Vanilla Custards contain at least a CAP Vanilla Custard @ 3-6% and usually a combination of at least 3-4 of the below. Pecentages are dependant on how flavor forward I want my CAP VC to be and the other flavors slide to the higher % to fill in the gaps and in the direction I'm wanting.

More "milky"? drop the CAP VC % and raise FA's VC, FC & TFA DX Milk.
More sweet & decadent? Drop the CAP VC % and raise TFA's VBG, Cheesecake & CAP GB.
More Caramel & darker notes? Drop the CAP VC % and raise TFA BC, CAP SC & FA VB.
More eggy notes? Drop the CAP VC % and raise TFA's FV, FVC and FA VC.

FA Vienna Cream ................. 1-2%
FA Fresh Cream .................. 1-2%
TFA French Vanilla Creme ... 1-2%
TFA DX Bavarian Cream ..... 1-2%
TFA Cheesecake (GC) ........ 2-3%
TFA Vanilla Bean Gelato ..... 2-4%
TFA Vanilla Swirl ................. 2-3%
TFA DX Milk ......................... (.5-1%)
CAP Sugar Cookie ............... 2-3%
CAP Golden Butter ............... (.25-.5%)
NN Patchiouli Vanilla ............. (.25-.5%)
FA Almond.............................. (.5-1%)
FA Vanilla Bourbon................. (.5-1%)

Hope this helps

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Flavorah Vanilla Custard is my favorite custard because I like the flavor and it doesn't need steeping like most custards/deserts do.
Molinberry Custard is also good but more difficult to find in the US (if you're in Europe, it's easier) It's less vanilla than Flavorah. May need slight steeping but not as much as Capella's or Flavour Art.
Flavour Art's custard is good, lighter in vanilla than Flavorah and has a slight lemon note. It does need steeping, IMO.
Capella's Vanilla custard v1 or 2... I'm in the minority (and I plan to revisit this soon) but I hate these.

(I also have One on One's custard and Inawera's Custard but I haven't mixed with them yet)

For buttery vanilla, you may want to try Capella's v1 (be prepared for a long steep time) or Molinberry's

VU Sponsors