Become a Patron!

help starting to build an entire mod

what dose the 15k 1/4w resistor dew an how can I figure out how many watts two 18650 battiries will produce thanks ahead of time

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the 15k oohm resistor is put on the mosfet chip and it keeps the circut closed untill you hit your fire button.unless you get a mechanical switch you will need a mosfet chip. the mosfet diverts the amp load away from the switch, pulling 40 amps on a little switch could cause it to weld shut

generally if you are going to build a non regulated box mod with dual battery's, you are going to put the battery's in parallel. battery's in parallel keep the same overall voltage but increase the max amp load. the amount of watts you get from them will depend on what type of coil you build. check out the ohms law calculator app. you imput the max voltage which is 4.2 volts and then put in the ohms of your coil. it will tell you the amp draw and wattage

Example:
if your two battery's can withstand 30 amps then we can assume in parallel they can withstand between 40 and 50 amps safely so if you wanted to build a .1 coil it would draw a max of 42 amps and that would be vaping at 176.4 watts. sounds pretty damn awesome to me

on the other hand batterys in series doubles the 4.2 volts to 8.4 but this isnt genneraly what people do for un regulated mods it is better when you have a chip like one of those sx350's I believe. and it does not inicrease the max safe amp load

to add the sigelli 150watt box mod uses 2 18650 battery's in series and im assuming that's about all you can get out of them safely

hope the info was helpfull!

Last edited:

ghh3rd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would like to respectively step in here, although I am new to mods, but just read a thread something like this. The prospect of using a .1 ohm coil alarmed me ... that is nearly a dead short, and on some meters would actually register as a dead short. A .1 ohm coil would be a recipe for disaster, and plastic surgery.

Please see this web site that shed light on this.... http://onvaping.com/battery-safety-and-ohms-law/ that includes the following:

"Safety PSA: Resistance in coils can have a variance of 0.2 Ohms in either direction, or +/- .2 Ohms. This means that if you build a 0.2 Ohm coil, you have to account for that +/- 0.2 Ohm variance. The coil in the above example at .2 Ohms is an incredibly unsafe coil, and I would not use nor suggest that anyone use such a coil. Because of this, I would not recommend anything lower than a 0.4 Ohm coil for 18650 1600mAh battery."

Thanks

Randy

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I would like to respectively step in here, although I am new to mods, but just read a thread something like this. The prospect of using a .1 ohm coil alarmed me ... that is nearly a dead short, and on some meters would actually register as a dead short. A .1 ohm coil would be a recipe for disaster, and plastic surgery.

Please see this web site that shed light on this.... http://onvaping.com/battery-safety-and-ohms-law/ that includes the following:

"Safety PSA: Resistance in coils can have a variance of 0.2 Ohms in either direction, or +/- .2 Ohms. This means that if you build a 0.2 Ohm coil, you have to account for that +/- 0.2 Ohm variance. The coil in the above example at .2 Ohms is an incredibly unsafe coil, and I would not use nor suggest that anyone use such a coil. Because of this, I would not recommend anything lower than a 0.4 Ohm coil for 18650 1600mAh battery."

Thanks

Randy
When you have two 18650 30a batteries and connect them in parallel, you can savely use a 0.1 Ohm coil.

VU Sponsors