Become a Patron!

HELP! ss316l coil issue's

allanworks

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guy's and gal's. i'm new to building coils i started a week ago and i'm having issues with gunk build up and muted flavor . the gunk build up is quick less then 5ml liquid before needing cleaned. i'm running a basic twisted two strand 26 guage stainless steel 316l with 6 wraps popping out at .14ohms in duel coil mode. i'm running these coils at temp control set at 0.00075 temperature at 450f and 40w set at standard speed mode. i'm using a tesla touch 150w and a geek vape griffin 25 plus. whats causing this fast gunk build up and the muted flavor? i never had these issue's with kanthal. i love ss it's quick to heat up and ability for tc but cant seem to get that big flavor every body talks about.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi guy's and gal's. i'm new to building coils i started a week ago and i'm having issues with gunk build up and muted flavor . the gunk build up is quick less then 5ml liquid before needing cleaned. i'm running a basic twisted two strand 26 guage stainless steel 316l with 6 wraps popping out at .14ohms in duel coil mode. i'm running these coils at temp control set at 0.00075 temperature at 450f and 40w set at standard speed mode. i'm using a tesla touch 150w and a geek vape griffin 25 plus. whats causing this fast gunk build up and the muted flavor? i never had these issue's with kanthal. i love ss it's quick to heat up and ability for tc but cant seem to get that big flavor every body talks about.
for TC the TCR is SS316 is 00092 not 00075. It shouldn't be gunking up that fast though unless its your juice or you are chain vaping too hard. You aren't getting flavor cause your TCR is too low

allanworks

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i changed my tcr from 00086 to 00075 because a youtube vapor guy said that was the proper setting for ss316l. i tried yours seems a little better in vaping but flavor is still muted. i take 2-4 big hits about every 10-15 minutes i dont know if thats chain vaping.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
i changed my tcr from 00086 to 00075 because a youtube vapor guy said that was the proper setting for ss316l. i tried yours seems a little better in vaping but flavor is still muted. i take 2-4 big hits about every 10-15 minutes i dont know if thats chain vaping.
nope thats not chain vaping at all. use the .00092 that is the correct TCR for SS316L
TCR-Chart-Vaping.jpg

also raise your wattage, that will lower ramp up time and then TC will kick in and limit it anyway.
The griffin 25 plus is supposed to be really good. I have one but haven't used it yet

allanworks

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
still no change. is it possible vaping at to low a watt can cause build up. i think ill try cleaning the coil and rewicking then bumping up the watts i'll be back.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
still no change. is it possible vaping at to low a watt can cause build up. i think ill try cleaning the coil and rewicking then bumping up the watts i'll be back.
low wattage can cause flooding which could lead to gunking up the coils faster. the wattage has to match the wicking. if you have a lot of juice coming in and the wattage can't burn it off fast enough it'll flood the coil and give you spitback and gunk it up

allanworks

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i cleaned and rewicked my coils. i tried low and high cant seem to find the sweet spot for ss316l. i dont know what i'm doing wrong. is ss316l better i'm close on giving up on it and sticking with kanthal. i might be bias this is a whole new setup for me i used to use a kanger dripbox 160 with kanthal that produced massive flavor and clouds but it broke so i bought what i thought was the best setup i could get from reviews. i love the tesla touch and griffin but maybe the squanker mod spoiled me to much.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If your juice has a high flavor percentage, is super sweet, or a bakery type, you can easily get build up.
As for lacking flavor, what cotton are you using?
For me personally different wicking materials work best with different wire types.
98% of the time I just use Cotton Bacon.

allanworks

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i'm vaping berry pomegranate 80vg/20pg and i use japanese cotton but i tried cotton bacon and it comes out the same. is it possible i dont have enough wraps of wire i'm running 6 wraps at .14ohms right now maybe i need to up it to .30ohms. do i add more wraps to raise ohms.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Changing the amount of wraps more than likely will not have as much effect on flavor as changing the wattage/temperature.
Finding the matching point between those two allows you to hit that temp at the best time.
Finding a temp that suites your preference as well as flavor production is simply trial and error.
If you just can't find that spot, it is either the medium you're using or juice.
Since the juice is great in other tanks I have to assume the medium you're using just isn't getting it.
Outside of that, I'm tapping out because I haven't spent enough time using temp control on self made coils to be beneficial in this one.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
i'm vaping berry pomegranate 80vg/20pg and i use japanese cotton but i tried cotton bacon and it comes out the same. is it possible i dont have enough wraps of wire i'm running 6 wraps at .14ohms right now maybe i need to up it to .30ohms. do i add more wraps to raise ohms.
for a regulated mod resistance isn't really important. it's surface area

allanworks

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
raising the surface area will raise ohms if i'm using the same wire thickness right? i'll try that next time i build a coil and let you guys know.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
raising the surface area will raise ohms if i'm using the same wire thickness right? i'll try that next time i build a coil and let you guys know.
thicker wire = more surface area less resistance, same wire more wraps = more surface area, more resistance. just play around until you find what you like

VU Sponsors