Become a Patron!

Help needed

Debbie J

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First off hello! I bought a smok tfv4 and am using IPV5 200 watt mod. I ma struggling with this. I am getting to much a of throat hit that's is making me choke. I'm not sure if its me not setting the mod right or is this tank too much for me. I like a cool smooth hit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What have you got on it for coils and what wattage is it set at?

Debbie J

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am using TF CLP2 I have had it 30 Watts up to 90Watts.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
if youre using the 3mg at 90w I would suggest cutting it down to 1.5mg,
I don't have the coil, but it looks like that is dual nickle?
is that right? If so I hope you are using it in tc.
additionally you may wanna try cutting the power back on it, maybe even back it off a bit

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's simply too much wattage. I've never gone over 12w, and rarely that high, because IT'S JUST TOO MUCH... I usually vape at 10w.

Just because those high-watt mods are out there, doesn't mean you have to vape that way.

Andria

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
if youre using the 3mg at 90w I would suggest cutting it down to 1.5mg,
I don't have the coil, but it looks like that is dual nickle?
is that right? If so I hope you are using it in tc.
additionally you may wanna try cutting the power back on it, maybe even back it off a bit
The coil is a dual Clapton.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It's simply too much wattage. I've never gone over 12w, and rarely that high, because IT'S JUST TOO MUCH... I usually vape at 10w.

Just because those high-watt mods are out there, doesn't mean you have to vape that way.

Andria
12w on that coil is way too low- you could order a pizza and dominos will deliver before the coil gets hot
The coil is a dual Clapton.
yeah I looked it up ... I would start around 50w and adjust from there.... would that be about right, bro?

TF-CLP2.png
SMOK TF-CLP2 Coils

These patented dual coil replacements for the TFV4 tank give e juice more coil to cover; a bigger surface supplying more heat to your liquid, but faster. Clapton coils are difficult to master, so it’s easiest to buy pre-wrapped coil heads.

The addition of extra surface area is efficient and produces huge clouds. If you want flavor that is bold and rich, the TF-CLP2 is the coil for you. Whenever you see “CL” in the code for a type of TFV4 coil that means it is a Clapton style.

You can get these rated 0.35 ohms. The SMOK website shows customers how to detach the old coil and replace it with a new one or you can follow vendor tutorials online and in shops

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Andria
Obviously, you don't know the TFV4 tanks, they need more power, in order to deliver flavor and clouds.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
12w on that coil is way too low

yeah I looked it up ... I would start around 50w and adjust from there.... would that be about right, bro?

TF-CLP2.png
SMOK TF-CLP2 Coils

These patented dual coil replacements for the TFV4 tank give e juice more coil to cover; a bigger surface supplying more heat to your liquid, but faster. Clapton coils are difficult to master, so it’s easiest to buy pre-wrapped coil heads.

The addition of extra surface area is efficient and produces huge clouds. If you want flavor that is bold and rich, the TF-CLP2 is the coil for you. Whenever you see “CL” in the code for a type of TFV4 coil that means it is a Clapton style.

You can get these rated 0.35 ohms. The SMOK website shows customers how to detach the old coil and replace it with a new one or you can follow vendor tutorials online and in shops
I had good results at 47.5W with these coils. However, a sweet spot for the eJuice has to be found.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First off hello! I bought a smok tfv4 and am using IPV5 200 watt mod. I ma struggling with this. I am getting to much a of throat hit that's is making me choke. I'm not sure if its me not setting the mod right or is this tank too much for me. I like a cool smooth hit. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Did you prime the coil? If yes, how did you prime it?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Obviously, you don't know the TFV4 tanks, they need more power, in order to deliver flavor and clouds.

You're right, I would never use such a monstrous atty as that. 1 coil, 2 ohms, 10 watts = great vape. A newbie should not be sold something so monstrous as that tank. It doesn't do them a bit of good when they can't vape it.

Andria

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You're right, I would never use such a monstrous atty as that. 1 coil, 2 ohms, 10 watts = great vape. A newbie should not be sold something so monstrous as that tank. It doesn't do them a bit of good when they can't vape it.

Andria
everyone vapes differently
there is nothing wrong with vaping this way, if it is what gets them off cigarettes.
there is nothing vaping your way either
right now, I just want to make sure we can help this person figure out how to use the gear they have, so that they can get back to vaping.

thank you

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Andria
Agreed! Even here on the forum some recommend those kind of tanks to a newbie, without asking if they do MTL, or DL drags. That can get newbies off e-cigs as well, due to the disappointing experience.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Agreed! Even here on the forum some recommend those kind of tanks to a newbie, without asking if the do MTL, or DL drags. That can get newbies off e-cigs as well, due to the disappointing experience.
some noobies like it.... i just had a woman trying to quit and the only thing that she liked was a triton2 with a 0.4 ohm coil.....
the 1.8 didn't work, 1.2 on a subtank...
different strokes, thankfully the gear is available for them .

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
some noobies like it.... i just had a woman trying to quit and the only thing that she liked was a triton2 with a 0.4 ohm coil.....
the 1.8 didn't work, 1.2 on a subtank...
different strokes, thankfully the gear is available for them .
I was thinking more of the TFV4, Crown, Griffin, Boreas, etc. when commenting on Adria's post. The Triton 2 is a good tank, and due to AFC, you can adjust to the proper airflow. Then of course, the coil's resistance has to be considered as well.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm not sure if its me not setting the mod right or is this tank too much for me.

I won't add any more numbers here, because you have enough feedback on that. Just know that my wife currently has her TFV4 on an IPV, and it did take a few tries to get the wattage and airflow exactly right. (She's quite particular regarding vape settings.)

Just know that the tank isn't too much for you. You're good.

Debbie J

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Agreed! Even here on the forum some recommend those kind of tanks to a newbie, without asking if they do MTL, or DL drags. That can get newbies off e-cigs as well, due to the disappointing experience.
I prefer DL and I think that's why I am choking.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I think that is your problem, 50/50. High PG means harsh throat hit. Being that your using a high W and just the coil your using, if it were me I would be using 20PG/80VG. The higher the VG the smoother the vape, dial yourself in, less PG is a tradeoff on flavor, but if your getting throat bite, it would be worth it.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO, there's no noticeable change of flavor with higher VG. As @Vapin4Joy mentioned, you should increase the VG level of your juice for a smoother throat hit.

Debbie J

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally I think that is your problem, 50/50. High PG means harsh throat hit. Being that your using a high W and just the coil your using, if it were me I would be using 20PG/80VG. The higher the VG the smoother the vape, dial yourself in, less PG is a tradeoff on flavor, but if your getting throat bite, it would be worth it.
Thank you I will try that next.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO, there's no noticeable change of flavor with higher VG. As @Vapin4Joy mentioned, you should increase the VG level of your juice for a smoother throat hit.
The flavor resins are carried by PG, I guess it depends on what and whose juice you use, for me defiantly less PG equals less flavor.

Timmerz

Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
i would recommend an 80/20 or higher (more VG the better) on that tank, wide open airflow (else its going to be hot), and by all means if you want to vape it at as cranked up as you wish; do so... That tank with any available smok coil is going to perform poorly under the minimum recommended wattage for said coil. I dual used ecigs and cigarettes for the better of 8 years. I was not able to give up tobacco products until sub-ohm massive vapor producing "look at me im a friggin dragon" devices came into existance. If a person is satisfied with less, thats fine. if you love huffing VG like it aint a thing, thats fine too :)

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ok so, if I may?
I have a question a bit off forum subject but not really.lol
I am looking into a lipo box mod! I am not sure of a good balance between the thousands of different types of batteries.
Does it really matter what one i get as long as it dont exceed the parameters of the pmw of 18v's? I ask this question only because I have been so diligent when looking that i found a high level mah battery with 14.8. Will it work? Or maybe stacking a few from a tablet? Please help?

VU Sponsors