Become a Patron!

help me understand micro coils..

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
OK.. so I am looking at a coil the other day.. and it is a fairly fat coil.. with a fair amount of cotton through it.. and it works fine.. but I started to think.. the inside of this coil.. is larger than a "micro" coil.. thus has more cotton running through it.. so my logical brain says.. more juice soaked cotton touching more wire.. why would I want a tiny coil (micro coil).. also when you build a micro coil would it not be more likely to burn the cotton?

just trying to understand the point here.. thanks..

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The more wraps, the more juice in contact with the coil. More juice in contact with the coil, the lower the heat of the coil, the lower the heat of the coil....the slower the juice atomises. This results in an increase of flavour.
Macro coils produce the same effect, using fewer wraps, due to the longer length of wire.
Say your target is .2ohms....for a dual micro build, you would need 7wraps x2. For the same resistance in a macro coil, you would use 2 fewer wraps.
Why one over the other? Anybody's guess other than in some builds (Orchids for example), there is simply not enough room for macro coils.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Micro-coils are just like regular coils, only smaller and with a fancy name that you can use to impress ordinary vapers when you say "me, I use micro-coils" and they ain't got a clue what you're talking about.

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
I use a Lemo.. and am exclusive using a single coil.. I find with a "micro coil" that sometimes there appears to be juice starvation whenever I run the wick through the coil.. I switched to a chimney coil recently which I guess by all practical terms is a "micro coil" and that works without issue in regards to juice flow.. I understand how to wick a kayfun type setup.. so thats not the issue..

my coils are about 1ohm.. on a vapor shark.. I know preference is open to the user.. but thoughts on the ideal build for this? in regards to wattage.. ohms.. etc.. maybe I am using too much cotton on the smaller coils?

flavor is my biggest desire..

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
and just to be clear.. overall I am really happy with everything so far.. I just want to understand if I am "missing something"

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The wick should be snug, not tight. Micro coils just imply that the wraps are tightly touching each other. No idea what Giraut us on about with "regular coils".

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Back when I experimented a lot I took a 26awg wire and built a quad micro sleeper on a small tobh atty. It was a wierd kind of set up though. I don't have a pic, but I had two micros on each side of the three post divider line. Those were on a cotton bed. Great flavor and decent vapor, but I've build much better performing macros.

P.s. those micros were twisted around a piece of 24awg kanthol.

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The wick should be snug, not tight. Micro coils just imply that the wraps are tightly touching each other. No idea what Giraut us on about with "regular coils".

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Micro and Macro actually means the inside diameter of the coil.. 1.5mm - 2mm or so is a 'micro' and 2.5mm - 3mm is a 'macro'.. Something like that. And thats the way people use to refer to them. Now-a-days people just say 'micro-coil' when talking about all coils with wraps squeezed together... which, technically, is incorrect.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

My experience with coils - and I've tried a lot of designs - is that any coil that's reasonably "coily" works more or less the same. Tight wraps? Works. Spaced wraps? Works. Large diameter? Works. Small diameter? Works. Funky Rip Tripper-like design? Usually doesn't work as well however...

The difference between different types of coils, provided they have a reasonable number of wraps and a reasonable diameter, is marginal at best. What really matters is the wicking job and the circulation of air around the coil.

vladtepes

Member For 4 Years
OK so I spent the last couple of hours reading some more.. and apparently I may be even lower than I really should be.. with a VW device I actually should come up in resistance.. more coil surface.. and fire at a higher wattage?

for the record I am referring to coils with small ID.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Imo, those "tricked out coils" are just cloud chasers' was of beating their chest tward each other. For me I can wrap 24awg kanthol around a Stanley screw driver anywhere from 5 to 7 times, repeat, wick, saturate, and vape.

The Little Boy that I bought a week ago is the first rda I've purchased since the mutation x came out. Looks like it's gonna be the same deal with it. Simplicity seems to work just fine unless I'm I'm just bored. Lol

In the end it's all up to you and what works for you. Now that I've thought about it... I wonder if I have any 26awg left... play time! Lol

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK so I spent the last couple of hours reading some more.. and apparently I may be even lower than I really should be.. with a VW device I actually should come up in resistance.. more coil surface.. and fire at a higher wattage?

Many VW devices accept low, and even very low resistances. If yours does, going low isn't a problem.

As for the surface of wire exposed to the juice, yes, the more you have, the more juice your coil can vaporize without burning the juice, and therefore the more power you can feed it. That's the whole point of multi--coil designs. However, the flip side is that the more surface, the more wire there is to heat up, and the longer the pre-heat delay is.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not just the longer the pre-heat time, or as I like to call it, "ramp up" time... but the more wire to heat the faster it's gonna drain your batteries.

I've only been vaping about a year, but I've done a LOT of experimenting. It doesn't really matter what rda you use if you can balance the heat of the coil with the size of the chamber, wicking, and airflow. The rest is just technique of the draw.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Taken on the whole of the above posts, I'm a new user (say) and relying on all this anecdotal evidence, there's little difference in a microcoil, schmicrocoil. Does anyone here know what the definition is today? Given that the originator himself has expanded his understanding of what it is and does. I do believe it accomplishes something quite different than the amateur excuse for electronics we were using and being sold when I started vaping 18 months ago. In many ways little has changed in our overall perception of the coil as a community. So I understand why so many would think the above. Far too many of us are using the technology without really knowing what it is. Same old 6 wraps on 32 approach…just thicker wire. And sadly not enjoying the rewards that vaping could be bringing them.

You can't divorce form from function. If you do, the latter is made insignificant. And that's what we have. Vapers using the form without appreciating the function.

I do know one thing. Once we learn a thing it's much harder to un-learn it. So you're pretty much stuck with what you learn to depend upon. For some it's even far less than others as we all have our limits as to how much effort and time we want to or can put in.

Or we can learn to build a proper electrical coil that just works as a baseline. Something we can use to gauge every result and experiment that follows. Which do you think you'd rather put in your pocket first?

I'm kinda partial to the latter because I could teach you in a few minutes to wind this in a few seconds…

img_0805a-jpg.4159

Tension winding which I introduced to rebuilding optimizes the output efficiency of a microcoil. Like getting the full 100W out of a bulb which we're not using conventional winds and methods. It is not a way of winding. It's a science.

Want to experience it yourself? Look up my posts here on VU or google my handle.

Happy Holidays all and good luck.

:)

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I played around with different styles for a while burning through some Kanthal, in the end I use either a single micro coil running around 1.2-1.5 ohms or a single twisted micro around 0.8-1.2 ohms and that is where I LIKE my vape at, I'm in for flavor and not cloud chasing. Each person is a little different and playing around making different coils is fun but in the end after reading a lot of threads about it most end up going back to the basic coils.

I have tried 1/8", 3/16" and 5/64" and pretty much settled in on 5/64". I am not saying this is the best or only one to use, like juice everyone is a little different and likes different things. This is just what I have settled on in my RDA's and keeps me happy and vaping.

As far as dry hits I just make sure my wicks are kept wet. I only juice three different juices and for some reason I like say peaches and cream around .8 ohms but the other two I like around 1.2 ohms to keep the flavor where I like it.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Really??? Rip? Great showman and builds tremendous enthusiasm for the game. True that.

But making a uniform and repeatable coil is what we're after…a reproducible, predictable experience.

Hand winding unavoidably results in coil asymmetry which makes for unstable performance such as hot leads or hot legs.

We rely upon the unique properties of Kanthal and other alloys to produce surface oxidation which deter the above. Otherwise, our vape is unreliable. Unfortunately, the only way we knew how to perfect an open wound coil was through compression and torching. This is the method or style that most vapers are familiar with. Unfortunately compression can disfigure the wire causing deformations which impede uniform oxidation. Likewise torching can damage the wire surface, introduce impurities and make efficient oxidation unlikely.

What this means is reduced wire efficiency or an outright horrible vape. At worst, comparable to a loose post connection. Some folks equate this hot performance with a great vape. In reality it's simply characteristic of wind inefficiency and we could be enjoying both efficient heat energy transfer to the wicking and so greater vapor density at any temperature target we wanted.

One way is the appearance of success. The other, the real deal.

A year ago I introduced the principle of strain (Ftens, tension, in physics) to the production of vaping coils by a process (not a style) which takes seconds and is utterly reproducible. in seconds, by even new vapers. It eliminates the need for torching or compression.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

There are more and more folks everyday learning to apply the principles of tension in the technique I introduced to perfect the microcoil and generate a truly efficient contact coil. Most are so damned pleased they've taught many others and I'm glad that at the end of this year 2014 many thousands are using this approach worldwide. So there's plenty of help out there. Just give us a shout.

Good luck all.

img_0805a-jpg.4159

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A micro coil would heat up faster since the coil heats up outwards and touching strands transfer heat better then spread, the strands are being heated as a result of the current by also by heating each other.
A good wick is more then capable of pulling enough liquid to the coil without burning as long as you don't stuff it too tight in there.
Nobody said you have to make micro coils, you can make macro coils.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And the Nobel Peace Prize goes to...

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh good, I was beginning to fear that I was the only one finding his arrogance offensive.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A micro coil would heat up faster since the coil heats up outwards and touching strands transfer heat better then spread, the strands are being heated as a result of the current by also by heating each other.
A good wick is more then capable of pulling enough liquid to the coil without burning as long as you don't stuff it too tight in there.
Nobody said you have to make micro coils, you can make macro coils.

Only for an instant in a well oxidized contact coil, then you experience uniformity. How uniform depends on how well the oxidation occurred and that's what tension yields…an optimal contact surface…

IMG_1191a.jpg

However we understand what a microcoil is, it's meaningless if you're unaware of what it supposed to do or might do. It is not about the diameter but its function. Most all of us are winding to form. But putting a Prius body on a Jaguar doesn't make it a Bentley.

Take a look at the above and consider whether it does what the typical coil does.

I describe it in more detail here.

The techniques for winding with tension will give you a basic version of the above in seconds. And there are posters on VU who've successfully achieved it in minutes.

Any of you guys around, hey, pipe in.

Happy Holidays all.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh good, I was beginning to fear that I was the only one finding his arrogance offensive.

I'm always polite to people mike. And I'm passing on an authentic scientific innovation.

Don't confuse certainty with an attitude.

Good luck Mike, really.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You're right, a Prius plus Jaguar doesn't make a Bentley. However, a Camero plus a Chevy S-10 does make a pretty cool 4x4 Camero. I'm not trying to take away from your method of wrapping coils. Just saying maybe you should calm down a little on ripping on other people's methods and results. It really is just a hobby.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@MacTechVpr: do you really believe the load of crap you write? Cuz if you do, I have Monster Cables to sell you...

I'm here to attract new vapers to the vaping lifestyle so they can enjoy what you do Giraut. I think I have a pretty good approach for getting them there quickly and effectively.

Good luck G.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're right, a Prius plus Jaguar doesn't make a Bentley. However, a Camero plus a Chevy S-10 does make a pretty cool 4x4 Camero. I'm not trying to take away from your method of wrapping coils. Just saying maybe you should calm down a little on ripping on other people's methods and results. It really is just a hobby.

Sorry Mike, I am talking results. Needs to happen. People trying to quit are trying to sort through the advanced stuff they don't understand and frankly few of us get the underlying principles.

But I've never attacked anybody's winds, methods or preferences. What I'm passing on is a not a style. The users on these pages and ECF who've learned how to do it are getting real benefits from the approach. That's all I'm seeking and I've devoted a substantial amount of time and resources to the research required to get there.

There is a difference in electrical efficiency between what most of us were introduced to (as a get-by) and most any other electronics we would pay a dime for. Eighteen months ago the entire vaping universe was clamoring for a solution to conventional winds and wicking. That's where super_X_drifter came in to talk up the contact coil. That prompted my quitting to see how that might be improved upon. I believe I have. And far more technically knowledgeable people than myself agree. I'm not relaying merely a method or style but a science.

Not talkin' down to anyone and honestly wonder why people would think so. The only thing that's evident is that I'm giving folks something for free. Any objections?

Good luck M.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only for an instant in a well oxidized contact coil, then you experience uniformity. How uniform depends on how well the oxidation occurred and that's what tension yields…an optimal contact surface…

View attachment 11438

However we understand what a microcoil is, it's meaningless if you're unaware of what it supposed to do or might do. It is not about the diameter but its function. Most all of us are winding to form. But putting a Prius body on a Jaguar doesn't make it a Bentley.

Take a look at the above and consider whether it does what the typical coil does.

I describe it in more detail here.

The techniques for winding with tension will give you a basic version of the above in seconds. And there are posters on VU who've successfully achieved it in minutes.

Any of you guys around, hey, pipe in.

Happy Holidays all.

Ofc once the coil is heated up the outside layer of the strand become non conductive due to oxidization, that's what makes a micro coil option even viable, but the heat is still transferred from wrap to wrap outwards.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're not attracting new vapers: you're making it look like it's some kind of delicate science, or a black art or something. There's no better way of scaring newbies.

Besides, all that bullshit you're spewing about tension, coil deformation, uniform oxidation, introducing impurities or coil asymmetry is just that... bullshit. Here's the truth: IT'S JUST A DUMB HEATING COIL. There's nothing special, magical or delicate about it.

Also, if you think you've invented twisted wire, I suggest you go to the hardware store, buy a foot of electrical cord, remove the insulator and take a look at the copper inside. You may find there's prior art. Or that it's friggin' obvious...

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even though it's just a dumb heating coil, people still manage to make a lot of dumb mistakes and ask a lot of questions, but thats why there is a forum in the first place:)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, let them do mistakes. That's how you learn. After the third coil, most people have it figured out. The only (slight) difficulty for those who've missed Electricity 101 at school is knowning Ohm's law, and that's just to figure out the gauge of the wire and the number of wraps. It doesn't take a genius to wrap a coil, and it certainly doesn't warrant pages after pages of pseudo science.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still a lot of people are too lazy or too scared to take the first step, so why not nudge them a bit in the right direction?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agreed, let's nudge them in the right direction. Trouble is, that is not what MacTechVpr is doing: he's making a very simple thing completely confusing.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I fail to see how using huge terminology is going to help a noob work out hot spots and prevent shorts. Also, (I don't know about anyone else) I've never needed an oscilloscope to tell me my vape is enjoyable.

I've railroaded this thread long enough. Nothing I can say will ever make a difference to someone that uses the phrase "I have" more than Thomas Edison did. Good luck to you in what ever it is that you're trying to prove.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm for nudging, not for pushing them over a cliff like mac.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Really??? Rip? Great showman and builds tremendous enthusiasm for the game. True that.

But making a uniform and repeatable coil is what we're after…a reproducible, predictable experience.

Hand winding unavoidably results in coil asymmetry which makes for unstable performance such as hot leads or hot legs.

We rely upon the unique properties of Kanthal and other alloys to produce surface oxidation which deter the above. Otherwise, our vape is unreliable. Unfortunately, the only way we knew how to perfect an open wound coil was through compression and torching. This is the method or style that most vapers are familiar with. Unfortunately compression can disfigure the wire causing deformations which impede uniform oxidation. Likewise torching can damage the wire surface, introduce impurities and make efficient oxidation unlikely.

What this means is reduced wire efficiency or an outright horrible vape. At worst, comparable to a loose post connection. Some folks equate this hot performance with a great vape. In reality it's simply characteristic of wind inefficiency and we could be enjoying both efficient heat energy transfer to the wicking and so greater vapor density at any temperature target we wanted.

One way is the appearance of success. The other, the real deal.

A year ago I introduced the principle of strain (Ftens, tension, in physics) to the production of vaping coils by a process (not a style) which takes seconds and is utterly reproducible. in seconds, by even new vapers. It eliminates the need for torching or compression.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

There are more and more folks everyday learning to apply the principles of tension in the technique I introduced to perfect the microcoil and generate a truly efficient contact coil. Most are so damned pleased they've taught many others and I'm glad that at the end of this year 2014 many thousands are using this approach worldwide. So there's plenty of help out there. Just give us a shout.

Good luck all.

img_0805a-jpg.4159
Dude... posted just as a start for the new guy. Nothing more..

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry Mike, I am talking results. Needs to happen. People trying to quit are trying to sort through the advanced stuff they don't understand and frankly few of us get the underlying principles.

But I've never attacked anybody's winds, methods or preferences. What I'm passing on is a not a style. The users on these pages and ECF who've learned how to do it are getting real benefits from the approach. That's all I'm seeking and I've devoted a substantial amount of time and resources to the research required to get there.

There is a difference in electrical efficiency between what most of us were introduced to (as a get-by) and most any other electronics we would pay a dime for. Eighteen months ago the entire vaping universe was clamoring for a solution to conventional winds and wicking. That's where super_X_drifter came in to talk up the contact coil. That prompted my quitting to see how that might be improved upon. I believe I have. And far more technically knowledgeable people than myself agree. I'm not relaying merely a method or style but a science.

Not talkin' down to anyone and honestly wonder why people would think so. The only thing that's evident is that I'm giving folks something for free. Any objections?

Good luck M.

So, you quit smoking just so you could work on improving the contact coil? :confused:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Still a lot of people are too lazy or too scared to take the first step, so why not nudge them a bit in the right direction?
Um, if i read all that I would be more confused and more scared to try, not less..

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're not attracting new vapers: you're making it look like it's some kind of delicate science, or a black art or something. There's no better way of scaring newbies.

Besides, all that bullshit you're spewing about tension, coil deformation, uniform oxidation, introducing impurities or coil asymmetry is just that... bullshit. Here's the truth: IT'S JUST A DUMB HEATING COIL. There's nothing special, magical or delicate about it.

Also, if you think you've invented twisted wire, I suggest you go to the hardware store, buy a foot of electrical cord, remove the insulator and take a look at the copper inside. You may find there's prior art. Or that it's friggin' obvious...

Hey G, if things were so friggin' obvious then why didn't you create a contact coil or make one with tension.

I found most vapers were pissin' juice all over their pants after their third coil. I was one of them. I wished there was something like tension, so I came up with it.

Oh, I get it, you're just pissed cause you like to deform things.

coil_art_zpsa5c3a813.jpg

More power to ya bro, really. I want folks to enjoy what you enjoy, confidently.

:D

Newcomers really appreciate when I can teach 'em how to make a consistent reproducible coil inside of 30 seconds. You're right, it's not rocket science…it's basic science.

And if you believe tension winding doesn't work…hey, good luck. Tell it to the guy who conceived the contact micro coil…

I'm told perhaps millions have applied or tinkered with tension wind tech since my introduction. I could only hope that were true. So I'll write as many pages as I have to so folks can get their vape on reliably. I give up my time and research free.

You have a problem with that?

Good luck.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, you quit smoking just so you could work on improving the contact coil? :confused:

Yes, as a matter of fact. I didn't think existing vape tech was reliable. Been watching the vape industry for some time. I also had tried and failed 8 times to quit. So I watched the developments on ECF with interest. When it appeared that the contact coil might be a viable possibility for efficient vaporization I took the chance to quit (and fail) to try and apply it, improve upon it if need be. I honestly did not think it would work. Loose contact coils were inefficient and demonstrating more unstable performance in many instances than even eccentric open winds. But I had my own alternatives to the contact coil in the event that contact coils didn't. I was in fact a huge skeptic myself as I've discussed with super_X_drifter many times.

I don't take it personally if folks disagree. I respect that. But personal attacks are not necessary.

Good luck m.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow... Just, wow...

Thanks to you, the world is a better place. I'm honored!

obama-sarkozy.jpg

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, as a matter of fact. I didn't think existing vape tech was reliable. Been watching the vape industry for some time. I also had tried and failed 8 times to quit. So I watched the developments on ECF with interest. When it appeared that the contact coil might be a viable possibility for efficient vaporization I took the chance to quit (and fail) to try and apply it, improve upon it if need be. I honestly did not think it would work. Loose contact coils were inefficient and demonstrating more unstable performance in many instances than even eccentric open winds. But I had my own alternatives to the contact coil in the event that contact coils didn't. I was in fact a huge skeptic myself as I've discussed with super_X_drifter many times.

I don't take it personally if folks disagree. I respect that. But personal attacks are not necessary.

Good luck m.

That was a real question, not a personal attack.. I had never heard of someone who quit smoking just so they could improve a coil.. :confused:

My next post? Well.. Attitude is everything, I guess..

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Over complicating one variable of many that produce a result that is purely subjective anyway seems like a complete waste of time. Especially when both methods of coil wrapping produce results that are so similar a blind vape test couldn't tell them apart. You keep going on and on about how you came up with the idea of pulling the wire tight while wrapping. That's bullshit. You keep going on and on about the science of it, but I've yet to see any scientific data supporting your revolutionary technique that you so graciously shared with us common folk. And here's the kicker. Pulling the wire tight while wrapping can eliminate the need to torch and squeeze to achieve a uniform contact coil. Yes. Does it actually affect performance? Who knows. Once the coil is installed and the perfect shape is disturbed, heating and compressing it to get it back into shape negates any benefit of cold, tension wrapping if there even was a benefit. So we're back to the whole waste of time thing. Offering up the idea that wrapping uniform contact coils can easily be done by pulling the wire tight and being precise with wrap placement is fine. Telling others over and over and over about how awesome you and your technique are is getting old. The coil geometry and coil mass you end up with are more important than how you got there. Get over yourself.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That was a real question, not a personal attack.. I had never heard of someone who quit smoking just so they could improve a coil.. :confused:

My next post? Well.. Attitude is everything, I guess..

Not what I said.

I said I took the chance as I knew I had alternatives. The means to find solutions if I had to.

No worries fellas. People are finding a benefit to this.

Keep talkin'. Notorious just brings more attention. I'm sure after all the smoke folks will figure out what's good for 'em. Happens all the time. You think I haven't encountered adversity to this change in 18 months. LOL

Fact is I want more to join you guys. You can make it easy or make it hard. Don't matter to me. I just get it done.

Good luck and Happy Holidays to you all.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Soooooo.... How bout those microcoils? :confused:

Forget it dude even tho it took me 30 seconds a side to wind...

IMG_1070a.jpg

It's a waste of your time if you're only getting 20% more production out of it. Too fiddly. Go get yourself some earthy 20AWG and just wind away some spaced coils that disconnect from your cotton halfway thru your vape. The clouds are huge, I tell ya.

Or, you could take a stab at hand windin' one of these and see if you can get a balanced output on even two sides without tension. Then we can all know function don't matter.

IMG_1134a.jpg

Or, how about four? I'm sure that's gonna be a great vape too!

IMG_1059a.jpg

This one's ^^^ been runnin' Since I wound it at a dealer rebuild demo Aug 5, COV, Boynton Beach, FL. Most productive flavorful build yet achieved at ~.25Ω COLD testers will tell ya. Yeah, that sucks.

Or how 'bout long lead, long tail verticals. They suck too. Look…

IMG_0959a.jpg

Nothin' to see here. Didn't they tell ya? Tension just doesn't work bro. I just make this shit up. Never mind your lyin' eyes when I tell ya this one's been runnin four months too @ ~.45Ω.

I don't take myself too seriously. I'm just an avatar. But I do take proper electronics seriously 'cause I know I get a great vape from it. Funny thing is so many think they got one too with tension. They must be dreamin'.

I need to go back to spaced winds…

IMG_1077a.jpg

So I can get results like this…

IMG_1087a.jpg

Good luck.

:D

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Soooooo.... How bout those microcoils? :confused:
@MacTechVpr That comment wasn't directed toward you. I just noticed that the thread started out about microcoils and then we got way off track. But now I see what some of the other members were saying... Looks like you got your feelings hurt and you're all defensive now. All that "tension" is caught in your ass. Chill out man...

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@MacTechVpr That comment wasn't directed toward you. I just noticed that the thread started out about microcoils and then we got way off track. But now I see what some of the other members were saying... Looks like you got your feelings hurt and you're all defensive now. All that "tension" is caught in your ass. Chill out man...

Thanks scuzzle. You're right! This issue isn't about me. And I got where you're common from.

I'm here to help vapers get over. Period. Let those who have a problem with that own it.

My reply was meant in fun. But appreciate this scuzzle…you get no traction when you try runnin' from the mud.

I chill when the new guy gets the vape I'm gettin'…or better. But I appreciate what you're tryin to do. The OP had a good premise. One that deserved a serious consideration.

Happy Holidays all.

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks scuzzle. You're right! This issue isn't about me. And I got where you're common from.

I'm here to help vapers get over. Period. Let those who have a problem with that own it.

My reply was meant in fun. But appreciate this scuzzle…you get no traction when you try runnin' from the mud.

I chill when the new guy gets the vape I'm gettin'…or better. But I appreciate what you're tryin to do. The OP had a good premise. One that deserved a serious consideration.

Happy Holidays all.

And Happy Holidays to you sir

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And Happy Holidays to you sir

You're welcome. Best to you and yours.

;)
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1878301-vaping-coil-winding-jig-tool-for-rebuildable

Hold wire with channel locks. Wow, I just revolutionized tention winding. I'm a hero!

All chuck jigs ripped off from dark zero on ECF allow bending of the wire or forming (compression) not strain (Ften, tension). I evaluated quite a few such devices and methods but only the tried and true approach used in the comm industry for decades (pin vise winding) consistently produced the necessary lateral and longitudinal strain needed to induce the effect uniformly in a contact coil. And it could be reproduced easily by practically anyone including the disabled such as myself with motor control issues. Though many stable winds will fire center out typically a contact coil will exhibit disruptions (hot/cold zones) with irregular contact. And they are present with any formed (compressed) wind. These represent breaks in potential efficiency due to disrupted electron flow. More akin to a loose electrical connection. However, once cured by optimal contact and oxidation you would see a result you've obviously never experienced...that those who've demo'd the wind readily perceive and acknowledge.

(I take it back. There were exactly two who insisted otherwise.)

It's the majority opinion I'm relaying on this forum and others. So you see mike I'm only the messenger as a result of this study contrary to the rash conclusions drawn about me personally above. This isn't my preferred wind style and I'm sellin' no one's jig. Yes, there are a great many people who know this works and quickly.

So yeah, you can certainly tension using all manner of techniques but finding the right balance of tension consistently is problematical. I disagree with super_X_drifter on the practicality of using a gizmo but it does work. With greater difficulty for some of us. There are technical issues with adverse side effects of over strain to the wire by attempting to hand wind or with mechanical devices. I believe this is why the telecom industry wisely relied upon the pin vise as a tool for their linemen until modern day impedance matching plug-in modules were devised.

You're reading this and want to get your arms around that stable vape contact me on threads I've posted here or ECF.

Good luck all.

VU Sponsors