Help in choosing slow cooker/crock pot

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would really depend on how many bottles and what size you plan to do at one time. The first link is for a 1.5 liter, which would be plenty large enough for most DIYers. The second is for a rather large 5 liter, which would accommodate quite a bit more. Personally, I'd go for the smaller one.

dnezarmichael

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In my experience with DIY, I would recommend no slow cooker at all. However if your going to buy one anyway, buy the cheapest one possible. Heat changes the flavors and lowers the strength of nicotine (not by a lot for the nic).

I was a big believer in the heated ultrasonic cleaner/crockpot, until someone suggested to try my mixes without heat and well they are a lot less harsh. Even hot water baths change the flavors ever so slightly.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always recommend the one that's best for cooking food, since they'll eventually realize this ^^^ anyway. At least they'll be able to use it for something. ;)

Shiminifonglay

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It would really depend on how many bottles and what size you plan to do at one time. The first link is for a 1.5 liter, which would be plenty large enough for most DIYers. The second is for a rather large 5 liter, which would accommodate quite a bit more. Personally, I'd go for the smaller one.

Alright, I'd go for the small one then. Thanks!

Shiminifonglay

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In my experience with DIY, I would recommend no slow cooker at all. However if your going to buy one anyway, buy the cheapest one possible. Heat changes the flavors and lowers the strength of nicotine (not by a lot for the nic).

I was a big believer in the heated ultrasonic cleaner/crockpot, until someone suggested to try my mixes without heat and well they are a lot less harsh. Even hot water baths change the flavors ever so slightly.

I want to try using crockpot for my custard flavors since I haven't found the right mix for it, maybe if I do the crockpot method I'd get the flavor I want :D

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Get the slow cooker for food first and steeping second. I have a Cuisinart I bought on sale during last years labor day sales. The temp is fully adjustable and it is fully programmable, not bad for $60.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not to change the subject, but have you tried this recipe, I absolutely love it. (I am a custard nut)
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/150112/Third+World+Custard

That looks interesting & yummy. How prominent is the cap cake batter flavor in there? i have a bottle I don't quite know what to do with, as in most recipes I've tried it, I feel it kind of dominates the flavor, and not in a good way.

The recipe title sounded familiar, so I looked in my notes and found another custard recipe that was posted on reddit, some time ago, with the same name, same creator:

Third World Custard by /u/thirdworldorder on reddit

Caramel (FA) 0.5
Coconut (FLV) 0.5
French Vanilla (CAP) 2.5
Jamaican Rum (FA) 0.5
Vanilla Custard (FLV) 6

I have never mixed it, but it's quite different from the one you linked to!

Cake Batter (CAP) 1%
French Vanilla (CAP) 2.5%
Golden Butter (CAP) 0.2%
Marshmallow (FA) 1.5%
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 10%

Elites

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Instead of crock pot I used milk frother. Which is quite perfect if you want to reduce steep time.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I'm working with caps custard I will sometimes use a crockpot to speed things up. I orignally used the regular one I use for cooking, but ended up buying a much smaller one for $10 that took up less counter space!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I feel it kind of dominates the flavor, and not in a good way

Yea, the Cake Batter is kind of a love it or hate it thing.
At 1% or less it's usually not that dominant IMO, although you might still get a hint.
I actually like the Cake Batter myself but I don't use it much in other recipes.
Meaning I use it for Cake Batter specific recipes usually, like Butterscotch Cake Batter for example.

Think he had a link for a v2 version of TWC but I never checked it out, maybe NY Cheesecake instead of Cake Batter??

dnezarmichael

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That looks interesting & yummy. How prominent is the cap cake batter flavor in there? i have a bottle I don't quite know what to do with, as in most recipes I've tried it, I feel it kind of dominates the flavor, and not in a good way.

The recipe title sounded familiar, so I looked in my notes and found another custard recipe that was posted on reddit, some time ago, with the same name, same creator:

Third World Custard by /u/thirdworldorder on reddit

Caramel (FA) 0.5
Coconut (FLV) 0.5
French Vanilla (CAP) 2.5
Jamaican Rum (FA) 0.5
Vanilla Custard (FLV) 6

I have never mixed it, but it's quite different from the one you linked to!

Cake Batter (CAP) 1%
French Vanilla (CAP) 2.5%
Golden Butter (CAP) 0.2%
Marshmallow (FA) 1.5%
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 10%

Yeah he has several versions on the same site, I also dislike cake batter in almost every recipe , ive tried. This one however rocks, lol

Shiminifonglay

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get the slow cooker for food first and steeping second. I have a Cuisinart I bought on sale during last years labor day sales. The temp is fully adjustable and it is fully programmable, not bad for $60.

Yea, that's why I put the other link with the digital screen thing. I'll get the slow cooker for both purposes now since I'm into DIY.

What other flavors do we need to use crock pot/slow cooker and what flavors should I not use it with?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yea, that's why I put the other link with the digital screen thing. I'll get the slow cooker for both purposes now since I'm into DIY.

What other flavors do we need to use crock pot/slow cooker and what flavors should I not use it with?
Time is the best way to age your liquid, but custards, creams, and tobaccos would likely be the best candidates for heat aging. Most fruits would not stand up to the heat.

ETA: Tests done over on ECF show the best temp to use is 150F or 65C.

Last edited:

Shiminifonglay

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Time is the best way to age your liquid, but custards, creams, and tobaccos would likely be the best candidates for heat aging. Most fruits would not stand up to the heat.

ETA: Tests done over on ECF show the best temp to use is 150F or 65C.

Okay, thanks again!

Off topic:

Has anyone ever tried the flavor concentrates on this website?
www.monin.com

Things to remind if you want to buy a slow cooker.

1. Method of heating

2. Crock construction

3. Lid material

4. Shape

5. Size

6. Sear function

7. Timer

8. Warming function

see more

Last edited:

VU Sponsors