Become a Patron!

Help I'm A Noob!

AwenisIsNotAsexOrgan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I have been vaping on cheap pens for awhile, but its just not doing it for me. I want a sub ohm mec mod, but there is so much to learn and I don't even know where to start. Is there a book on this I can read? Any recommendations for a starter kit? My price range is 100$ for mod and tank. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would go with a regulated mod for starters. They have lots of protection built in. MyFreedomSmokes, Vape101 and VaporDNA all are reputable, in the U.S... if outside the U.S. then I don't know, but I wouldn't dump a bunch of money in to a Chinese-based retailer... and sell "starter kits" and all have kits for under a hundred. I started with a Sigelei 30 watt with a Subtank Mini. I actually fried the Sigelei and went with a Kangertech Subbox Mini kit (60 - 65 dollars) and runs up to 60 watts. The Subtank Mini V2 tank comes with a decent RBA if you want to try building coils.

CORRECTION: The Kbox mod max is 50 watts, not 60. My apologies.

Last edited:

AwenisIsNotAsexOrgan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anywhere. Youtube, internet search. Watch and read a variety of explanations. Although with a regulated mod and prebuilt coils it's not really necessary. If building a coil for a regulated mod, though, the biggest thing to watch out for is the resistance of your coil, for which you need a ohms meter. You can get meters specifically for coil building and they're fairly cheap. Also read the tolerances specs for whatever you buy, for example the KBox spec states "Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.3 ohms" therefore I wouldn't install a coil that's under .3 ohms.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another tip: Just about anything you can think of in terms of vaping and equipment can be found on Youtube. Rip Trippers channel is interesting, nice quality reviews and commentary of tanks, mods, and coils, and is a pro at building coils. I've watched several of his videos and have come to enjoy them. Strange at first but you'll find it's good stuff.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Please, do lots of research before you start to use one! You should also google steam engine their's a lot of VERY useful info and a calculator there! Again please read, read, read before you do anything, research is golden!!!!!!!!!!

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Second Steam Engine (ohms law, coil, juice calculator). You can change the value of one variable of a mod, coil, or ohms law and see how it affects the other variables.
http://www.steam-engine.org/

the different calculators are along the top, tabbed menu.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, it's not a book, but here's my big noob thread for folks looking to step up from eGos:

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

Lots of answers there, though the advice of "start with a regulated mod" is probably the best piece you'll get. With the availability of cheap, high-powered mods with safety functions built in, I believe they're a better place to start than the wild west of unregulated mechs. Please, take a look and come back with whatever questions remain - good luck!

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, it's not a book, but here's my big noob thread for folks looking to step up from eGos:

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

Lots of answers there, though the advice of "start with a regulated mod" is probably the best piece you'll get. With the availability of cheap, high-powered mods with safety functions built in, I believe they're a better place to start than the wild west of unregulated mechs. Please, take a look and come back with whatever questions remain - good luck!

That's very nice, man. Nice reference to point people to.

Kinghen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started with a aspire cf max w Atlantis v2 tank . Getting to know to know your local vape shop guys too will def help you understand more about vapes

Vape life

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
$100 will buy a nice mod and tank today. plenty of choices, have fun looking!
local vape stores are handy but very pricey, i'd suggest looking local but buying online

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll give you a third +1 on the Kanger Subox mini.

I had a similar experience with the pens/Egos and the Subox is a whole different ball game.
The Egos were more of a "dual use" (smoking cigs and vaping) thing. What it actually was doing was giving me an excuse to be able to "smoke" more, and indoors. With the Subox I haven't wanted a cig in, well since the batteries were done charging the first time two weeks ago.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Again.. Google and youtube are your friends.

Start with the joyetech evic mini kit.. Thats where i started. I didnt know shit all.

After about a month or two with researching EVERYTHING and i mean i spend hours researching.. Im dealin' with a sigelei 150W w/ uwell crown sub ohm tank

MrGrimR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I second the subox, great starter kit and super easy build deck if you want to build your own coils.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You are getting good info here. Personally I think you should get something with protective circuitry first, for safety reasons, instead of a mech

carley816

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just as everyone else said, start of regulated and small to get to know the ropes. For under $100, you have a lot of options, but here are a few ideas. I hear the new 50w Kangertech subox is pretty good. For about $80 on MVS you can get the subox nano kit and some batteries, the kit including both the subox and the subtank nano. You may be able to find a subox mini kit or decide to buy the subtank mini separately, which is a hybrid replaceable/rda, in case you ever decide to try rebuilding.
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Kangertech-SUBOX-Nano-Starter-Kit-Black-p/krsbl1.htm
Edit: Found the link to subox mini kit:)
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Kangertech-SUBOX-Mini-Starter-Kit-Black-p/krsbk1.htm

For about $90, you could get the new MVP 3 by Innokin, some batteries to go with it and a decent tank.
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Innokin-iTaste-MVP-3-0-Pro-60W-Express-kit-p/ink-mvp3p2.htm

If you would rather not purchase batteries separately, you could always go with an iStick! I just upgraded my 20w iStick mini to a 50w iStick capable of sub ohming down to .2 ohms, and it's perfect for newbies to subohming such as us. For under $60, I got myself the iStick 50w and the iSub G tank, and not going to lie, it's an amazing combo!
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Eleaf-iSmoka-iStick-50W-4400mAh-Simple-Pack-p/elis-is50wbk.htm
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Innokin-iSub-Glass-Tank-p/ink-isg.htm

I would shop around with regulated box mods to see what kind of options/features interest you, but I would definitely be sure to start off small. Make sure to do a little research on batteries, as well as the minimum resistance the mods are capable of before purchasing. Because I trust MVS and they always have pretty good deals, I'm posting links to everything I just mentioned from them. Happy vaping :)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors