Become a Patron!

Help for a noob.

Ziggy90

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone I'm fairly new to the community here and so far I've read some very helpful and interesting things. I recently started making my own juice and I got all my items from Wizard labs. A friend of mine told me to go 100% VG so I didn't purchase any PG when I mixed the recommended dose it was so dull and think I began to question if my friend knew what he was talking about haha. Anyways my question is does the flavor hold better in a PG VG blend say 70% PG / 30% VG Any help would be much approcated.
Thanks,
Ziggy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I mix 95/5 vg/pg since most of my flavors add up to 5% and flavors are pg.

I accidentally made some 50/50 one day. The taste of teh flavor was about the same. But the THROAT HIT was way different. Much more throat hit with PG added in

Pick up a small bottle of pg. Try some 90/10 or 80/20 mix of 5mls and see. Pg is quite inexpensive.

The dull you refer to might be the lack of throat hit.

Lack of flavor would normally mean you need more flavor added in or could just be your choice of flavors.

add a few drops of flavor to what you have in an tank and see if it changes and is less dull

Ziggy90

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Matt. Maybe I just need to add more flavor then. do you think it could possibly have been the DIY calculator I was using cause it seems like I really used a lot of flavor. Any calculators you recommend?

Ziggy90

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also another thing I wanted to add that I thought was kinda strange, maybe it's just me and my lack of knowledge so far. I noticed that none of the bottles I made have changed color at all. They have been in a cigar box for 3 weeks now and are still clear. Normally when I buy juice from any premium vendor the liquid is a yellowish color. Any idea what might cause it from not turning color?

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not everything is going to dramatically change color. It depends on the flavors that you are working with. As far as not being flavorful enough, if you need the flavor stronger, I would start adding the flavor .5% at a time until it gets to where you want it to be. It's going to be a lot of trial and error because as it is stated here a zillion times, everybody's tastes are different.

PG is known as a much better flavor carrier, so you might want to incorporate a little bit more of it. The 2 most common reasons that people will tell you to use "all VG" is either because they are obsessed with "clouds" or they have a sensitivity to PG and want as little of it as possible. But it is what adds quite a bit of throat hit so if you're sensitive to that kind of thing, just don't go overboard with it.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, do you have nicotine in your juice? Nicotine oxidizes, which causes the color change, so if you have none you won't have the color change.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Allot of the color changed and pg/vg ratio can be dependent on what flavoring you use and nic concentration. The nic will make things darker so higher the nic the darker the juice. Also if you use cappella or flavor apprentice you'll need more flavoring and the flavoring they use is suspended ink pg. While flavor art tends to be require less flavoring so the juice will be thicker.
Either way you go, my big concern would be if your using a tank make sure it can wick the heavier vg juices. Something like a kayfun 3.1 or lite tends to prefer a 50/50 or a lemo2 reply plays badly with heavy cg juices; Whereas an aquav2 or goliath will wick the heavy stuff just fine

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Besides many other tanks, I own a Lemo 2 and don't have any problems with a 80VG/20PG DIY juice. No distilled water either.

Ziggy90

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow its amazing how helpful everyone on here is thanks so much to all of you guys! I am using Cappella and TFA as my flavor brands. Do you think that a 70 VG 30 PG will be to strong of a throat hit?

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you think that a 70 VG 30 PG will be to strong of a throat hit?

really relative to the individual .. most off the shelf ejuice is 50/50 ... I currently make 60/40 or 70/30 and find it suits me fine.
Type of Nic or amount will also affect TH ... bottom line for that type of question is just to 'try it and see' :) (also the best part of DIY!)

as far as the flavor of that mix... post what you used ... check out some recipes here first and you will see that FA %'s generally run much smaller than CAP or TFA ... different brands have different recommends for % of flavor or total flavoring %'s

Ziggy90

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks everyone I really appreciate it

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Also another thing I wanted to add that I thought was kinda strange, maybe it's just me and my lack of knowledge so far. I noticed that none of the bottles I made have changed color at all. They have been in a cigar box for 3 weeks now and are still clear. Normally when I buy juice from any premium vendor the liquid is a yellowish color. Any idea what might cause it from not turning color?

Part of it is the flavors used and probably most of it is the conditions you have kept the juice in. Maybe anyways. I wish I could find the picture I took the other day of it but I have a favorite juice that I make alooooooot of that we steep in large amber glass and then in this little treasure chest thing my wife has. The juice for the most part does not change color, might get a pinch darker but it never does much. Once we transfer from it to smaller clear plastic bottles and it starts getting sunlight and a lot of air it starts changing more. I left a bottle on my dashboard of my truck the other day for a couple days and by the end of the first day it became pinkish yellow brown color and by the end of the next day it was very very dark.
I mix 95/5 vg/pg since most of my flavors add up to 5% and flavors are pg.

I accidentally made some 50/50 one day. The taste of teh flavor was about the same. But the THROAT HIT was way different. Much more throat hit with PG added in

Pick up a small bottle of pg. Try some 90/10 or 80/20 mix of 5mls and see. Pg is quite inexpensive.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Download this last night, love it so far
its a little complictaed for a complete noob to set up.

I wish I could find an xml file that had all the exact specific gravities for all fa flavors so I could just import and be PRECISE.

Ziggy90

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea I'm still messing around with a few apps from my phone but I found a few useful tutorials on YouTube as well. Can anyone tell me their experiences with adding water and or vodka to the juice? Is it used just for thinning the VG ? And what is the purpose of that ? More flavor? Better hit? I'm not sure why. Also is it more of a chance to get harmful bacteria in your juice if you use distilled water and or vodka as opposed to just using VG and PG ?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
adding water and by water we mean DISTILLED WATER not an other kind or vodka is to THIN your VG.

VG is extremely think and some coils just cant wick properly when you go to high VG.
SO instead of thinning your total mix with PG which some are allergic to or just dont want to add any more throat hit, you can use vodka or DW
My subtank works fine with 95/5 vg/pg
but occasionally I get wicking issues and correct it by messing with the wick.

Ziggy90

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Distilled water comes by the gallon correct? How long can I use the same jug of distilled water for making my e juice before I should pour it out and buy a new one? Any recommendations on the brand of distilled water? Or even vodka. Like would grey goose be better then popov haha ? thanks again for all this awesome info guys I'm learning so much! So stoked I joined this group.

Ziggy90

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also haha questions galore ... I just recently learned that all nicotine and flavors are made from either a PG base or a VG base, do I need to factor that into my formula .... for example if I'm making a 50 / 50 blend of a 30 ml bottle obviously I need 15 ml PG and 15ml VG do I need to account for the flavors that are made of PG and the nicotine that's made out of VG?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Also haha questions galore ... I just recently learned that all nicotine and flavors are made from either a PG base or a VG base, do I need to factor that into my formula .... for example if I'm making a 50 / 50 blend of a 30 ml bottle obviously I need 15 ml PG and 15ml VG do I need to account for the flavors that are made of PG and the nicotine that's made out of VG?

YES

the calculators should ask you for what the vic is pg or vg or combo of both and what percentage it is.
and the calculator figures it all out

so lets say you had 100% vg NIC at 12 mg
and you want to make a 100ml juice with 5% flavor and 6mg nic and 50/50

you would put 5ml of your flavor is and now you have 5% pg
then you add in 50ml of your 100% vg nic juice
then 45 ml of pg

thi sgives you a 50/50 mix vg to pg
and cuts the nic from 12 to 6

Ziggy90

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome I think I'm gonna be pro now Hahahaha thanks everyone. Hope you all have a great weekend !

Ziggy90

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is there a way I can friend you guys on here ? Like Facebook haha or does it not work like that? You guys have just been super helpful and it would be cool to have direct contact

VU Sponsors