Become a Patron!

Help convince me to buy an RDA

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's up Ya'll,

So I've been vaping with my Subtank for the last month or so and really like it. I haven't messed with the RBA coil yet, but I guess I'll look into it over the weekend. Anyway, I've been thinking about buying a new tank (Delta 2, Smok RSBT 2, or possibly a Subtank Mini). At the same time, I'm thinking it might be time to finally start building and step up to an RDA.

Here's why I like tanks: 1) Don't have to refill as often. My friend had a dripper and would have to re-juice it every 5 hits or so. 2) I don't know how to build coils but would like to learn. 3. I have learned how to rewick the OCC coils for the Subtank, so hopefully won't have to buy anymore new ones.

I remember reading a post about a hybrid thank / RDA, but don't remember much. The Smok Teck RSBT II looks interesting:
http://smoktech.com/product_10134.html

Could you guys recommend a good, easy to build on RDA that would be good for a beginner like me? As mentioned above, I don't want to have to re-juice it every 2-3 minutes or even every 5 minutes. I wish there was something that would drip a few drops on the cotton when you pushed a button or something like that.

Thanks,

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
What's up Ya'll,

So I've been vaping with my Subtank for the last month or so and really like it. I haven't messed with the RBA coil yet, but I guess I'll look into it over the weekend. Anyway, I've been thinking about buying a new tank (Delta 2, Smok RSBT 2, or possibly a Subtank Mini). At the same time, I'm thinking it might be time to finally start building and step up to an RDA.

Here's why I like tanks: 1) Don't have to refill as often. My friend had a dripper and would have to re-juice it every 5 hits or so. 2) I don't know how to build coils but would like to learn. 3. I have learned how to rewick the OCC coils for the Subtank, so hopefully won't have to buy anymore new ones.

I remember reading a post about a hybrid thank / RDA, but don't remember much. The Smok Teck RSBT II looks interesting:

Could you guys recommend a good, easy to build on RDA that would be good for a beginner like me? As mentioned above, I don't want to have to re-juice it every 2-3 minutes or even every 5 minutes. I wish there was something that would drip a few drops on the cotton when you pushed a button or something like that.

Thanks,
ALL RDA's have to be re-juiced every three to four pulls. Any more than that and you are using WAY too much cotton. Knowing this, you truly need to stay with tanks. The only exception is a bottom feeder...and it will cost you a minimum of $200 to get into that game.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the reply. So do you just pull the top off and add juice? For example, I wouldn't be able to re-juice it while driving, or would I?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I think there is one like that. Called a 3D or something.

Never heard much about them though other than that is how they operate.

You could get an Orchid which runs a dual coil and has great airflow.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
IMO, an RTA is better (such as the Billow) because the need to refill is more like a tank, than a dripper. But the vape output is more like a RDA.

I have all three types, and I prefer a RTA. Billow to be more precise.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why don't you start by using you subtank RBA head.
Right, RDAs do have some problems, you forgot to mention that most of them leak, but once you pass that hurdle there is no turning back, since a good RDA is so much better then any tank.
Some RDAs have very deep wells and can hold more then 1ml of e-liquid.
Someone mentioned the 3D, don't go there, it's the worst thing ever.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ALL RDA's have to be re-juiced every three to four pulls. Any more than that and you are using WAY too much cotton.

Not in my experience. I can get about twelve hits before it tastes burnt in most of my RDAs. The Tobh holds less. The Tugboat holds more (and leaks a little more).

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the reply. So do you just pull the top off and add juice? For example, I wouldn't be able to re-juice it while driving, or would I?
I use the Dark Horse RDA and it's a lot easier to drip into because with the wide mouth drip tip, you can just dip straight into that and not have to take off the top to get to the cotton

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
This is all dependent on build and power applied. For someone that vapes upward of 70w @ < .5ohms....a promise you will not get twelve hits of any good quality.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Venturi clone for $8 at Angel Cigs can hold up to 20 drops and vapes like a kayfun. Great way to start messing around with an RDA without spending a lot of money. Easy to build duel coil and has air flow control.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'm leaning towards just buying another Subtank or one of the other tanks out there. I watched a couple of videos on youtube and building looks like a time consuming process.

I know you can build all kinds of coils at different resistance and so on, but on average, how long does it take you to rebuild and rewick a new setup?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
This is all dependent on build and power applied. For someone that vapes upward of 70w @ < .5ohms....a promise you will not get twelve hits of any good quality.
It depends on the RDAs size as well. I can easily take 15-20 draws out of my Castor with a 0.3 Ohm sleeper coil, sitting on my Stingray X. Both RDA and Mod are 26650 size.
The Veritas has a deep well, is leak resistant. With a single coil build @ 0.5, I can take 15 draws on a mech mod. The Marquiseis similar to the Veritas. However improved in regards to ease of build.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
RDA's ruined tanks for me. I've been using rda's a year now and I won't vape anything else. Dripping more juice isn't the hassle
you may be thinking it is, (once you become proficient). I suggest a TOBH to start with and learn the ropes. It's fast, easy and painless
to pop off the top and inspect how much juice you have in it and re-apply if needed.

Last edited:

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Dripping is where its at! I can't ever go back to tanks and I've tried all the new RTA that supposed to be like dripping and non can compare. NONE!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to be a dedicated dripper....and I still enjoy dripping.......but I have VERY recently come to adore squonking. And some juices just do not lend themselves to dripping whatsoever.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Dripping is where its at! I can't ever go back to tanks and I've tried all the new RTA that supposed to be like dripping and non can compare. NONE!
With the exception of the Silverplay and the Youde UD Goblin. However, you still go through a tank real quick.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's not one or the other for me. I love my kayfun and my tobh. Different moods, different situations, different juices, means different devices. Trying and liking an rda doesn't mean you gotta quit using or liking the tank.

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, you don't have to rebuild every time, just clean and re-wick. If I have a build I like, I can use it for a month or two.

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you want an RDA to experiment on, pick up something cheap and simple like an Igo-W. You should be able to find one for less than $10 and they are super easy to build on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What's up Ya'll,

Thanks,
Nope wont do it I second @franciscan get a Lemo or love your subtank going down that rabbit hole just leads you back to wanting a tank that has the flavor of a shit I should not have said that.... anyway stay with a tank the Lemo or the Billow are the safest bet maybe the Orchid but I have not had luck with it others have... just IMHO

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you want an RDA to experiment on, pick up something cheap and simple like an Igo-W. You should be able to find one for less than $10 and they are super easy to build on.

I gotta disagree with this Igo-W recommendation. I got my first Kayfun, and an Igo-W about a year ago. The Igo kinda sucks. Poor flavor, tiny drip well, I ended up getting six kayfuns, and stayed away from RDA's. It completely turned me off of them. Then, I won a Mutation X V2 on Mod Envy, and now I have three, my tanks are being very neglected.

I drive for work, but stop lights are your dripping friends, I might be known drip while driving with my knee, too. I know, not smart. Tanks are much better for convenience on the go, but a good dripper set up well rocks. And I hated constant dripping, too, but my Mutations can hold a ton of juice, and they don't leak.

With a high powered box, I think it's worth it to try. Mutations are $24.99 for authentics, they're also easier to build clean and re wick. Not a huge investment, and if you don't like what you get, you can probably find a home for it via sale or trade on here. Do some research, it sounds like a big dripwell is important, it is for me, too. I think you'll enjoy one.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What's up Ya'll,

Thanks,
get a big dripper, flavor of an RDA, plus the ability to have 3-4 mls to drip with in the tank above with out constantly having to refill.

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks Zamazam for recommending the big dripper. I was trying to think of the name of that thing when I posted. And, I'll have to disagree with TBCAmor about the Igo-W being such a shitty RDA. It's like a $6.99 RDA, not a $25 Mutation. I have a couple W's I sometimes use for juice testing when I'm mixing multiple bottles of juice, and they vape pretty damn good the way I set them up for that. They're a cheap and simple RDA for someone that wants a cheap venture into dripping to see what it's all about.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks Zamazam for recommending the big dripper. I was trying to think of the name of that thing when I posted. And, I'll have to disagree with TBCAmor about the Igo-W being such a shitty RDA. It's like a $6.99 RDA, not a $25 Mutation. I have a couple W's I sometimes use for juice testing when I'm mixing multiple bottles of juice, and they vape pretty damn good the way I set them up for that. They're a cheap and simple RDA for someone that wants a cheap venture into dripping to see what it's all about.

I hear you man, I just have always gotten sub par flavor out of it, and it doesn't hold much juice, thus constant dripping. He mentions not being a fan of the frequent dripping, so I just think, though cheap, the Igo might not be wise. I just know that it turned me off of dripping completely for a long time. We all are different, and there sure is plenty of different stuff out there for us. RDAs are cheap, too.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Reasons to buy an RDA:

1) You can fully customize your vape experience: temperature, airflow, flavor/vapor production - you can individually control all of these aspects with an RDA, and to an extent far greater than any other type of setup.

2) In the long run, it's the cheapest way to go.

3) You can switch flavors on a whim. No need to own 5 tanks for different flavors.

The learning curve for RDAs isn't as steep as you think. With a cheap tool like the Coil Master, even a 10 yr old can build perfect coils in under a minute. You need a bare minimum of tools, a decent ohm meter, and one of the online coil building calculators (or apps), and you're off to the races. I went from clearo tanks to RDAs after just 2 weeks of vaping. It's not that difficult.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...] some juices just do not lend themselves to dripping whatsoever.

Uh? Which? And for what reasons?

I'm confused because for me, drippers are exactly the only kind of atomizer that will vape ANY kind of juice, regardless of thickness, and few tanks come close in terms of flavor.

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OP, you want to be convinced? Look at me straight in the eyes:

Buy an RDA!
BUY AN RDA!
DO IT! RIGHTAWAY! BUY AN RDA!

(@v@)

(Behold my incredimazing internet hypnotizing powers :))

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Uh? Which? And for what reasons?

I'm confused because for me, drippers are exactly the only kind of atomizer that will vape ANY kind of juice, regardless of thickness, and few tanks come close in terms of flavor.
It's less the juice, but the flavor of the juice. I use a vanilla flavored, that just doesn't like RDAs, even if I'd built a coil with the same resistance as the Kanger Protank I was using it in. The coil in the tank had to be replaced every 2-3 days.

Kaleidoscope71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I was looking at an Igo-w since it was solid and cheap. I do want something to test flavors with. how did you set yours up for that?

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have built dual coils on a W before, but usually just single coil to keep it simple for tasting juice. Easier to clean it and rewick faster with a single coil. I just build it with 26, 28 or 30 ga Kanthal between 0.6 and 1.1 ohms and wick it with Japanese cotton. I build at 1.0 or 1.1 if I'm using an istick or a mod that won't sub-ohm. The W is simple to build on, has post holes if desired and easy to clean up. One negative on the W's though is some of them need the air holes drilled out in the caps if you like more airflow. They are easy to drill out though if desired. I have several different caps to use on them, including one translucent cap which is cool. They're a cheap simple RDA but work fine for sampling juice. They don't hold a lot of juice, like TBCAmor mentioned, but I don't want a lot of juice in the well when I'm sampling juice, just enough for a few hits, then I may adjust the juice some and drip some more on to re-sample it. Works well enough for me.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In my experience, the Subtank is HUGE. It made me never want to see a mango again during my lifetime after a tank of it.

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ALL RDA's have to be re-juiced every three to four pulls.

This is not true at all. A Marquis or a Veritas is going to last 15-20 pulls before drying out in my experience. I use a marquis on a dna30 as my backup on a daily basis. It refuses to dry hit. Also my tobh is good about staying saturated, and of course the 28mm tobh clone holds juice for days.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is not true at all. A Marquis or a Veritas is going to last 15-20 pulls before drying out in my experience. I use a marquis on a dna30 as my backup on a daily basis. It refuses to dry hit. Also my tobh is good about staying saturated, and of course the 28mm tobh clone holds juice for days.
You forget our foggy Friar like to vape a 0.001 Ohm coil at a Kilowatt+

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
26650 Phimis. about 30 hits before redripping. My 26650 Tobh about the same. Stay away from those 18650 girl mods. Plus your battery restrictions aren't as "restrictive"

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My 26650 MNKE battery will go for for over 12 hours of "chain vapin" no problem. So, buy a big atty and a big battery and vape on

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
26650 Phimis. about 30 hits before redripping. My 26650 Tobh about the same. Stay away from those 18650 girl mods. Plus your battery restrictions aren't as "restrictive"
I'm thinking about getting a 26650 Mutation X for that reason. The iPV3 actually looks good with a 26650 size atty, a bit of overhang, but stable and nice looking. I figured the drip well benefit would be huge.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I agree... I have a 30mm mutation x that I use on my IPV3 sometimes...
Do you have a 22mm Mutation X, too? If so, I'm just wondering if you could offer perspective on the juice capacity difference between the two. I find the 22mm to be pretty damn good.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Drippers are good of you like huge clouds and changing flavors a lot. Personally I think they are a pain in the ass if you are out and about or driving. You might want to consider dripping at home and tanking when you are out

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Drippers are good of you like huge clouds and changing flavors a lot. Personally I think they are a pain in the ass if you are out and about or driving. You might want to consider dripping at home and tanking when you are out
I used to feel this way, and have 6 Kayfuns because of it. Once I found a dripper I liked, that I could coax equal or better flavor out of, now I'm on the RDA craze. It is absolutely not good while driving, though I definitely drip at lights, and occasionally on the move. I used to hate em' but it was just about finding the right setup for me.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have to learn to drip and drive. Thats what stop lights are for.....or, mod in one hand, juice in the other and your knee on the steering wheel, or if the wife is sitting next to you.....put her to work. Just remind her, hole +liquid = mess. DON'T OVERFILL MY ATTY OR YOU CAN WALK HOME

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Gee, I must be doing it wrong then, because I stealth-vape with my drippers all the time...

It all depends on the airflow, and on the user's way to vape: open up wide, do lung hits at full power and you'll get annoying clouds. Close the airflow, do mouth-to-lung, and you won't blow any visible vapor. Hell, you can even get decent clouds out of a CE5 if you know how it's done...

As for dripping and driving, I do it, but only on long trips on the freeway with light traffic around. For short rides around town, that's what my Egrip is for. The trick to drip and drive safely is:

1/ Learn to screw / unscrew a bottle cap one-handed comfortably, with both hands

2/ Learn to drip with your mod in your right hand and the bottle in your left, and vice-versa, comfortably

3/ Learn to count drops in your mind, i.e. put pressure on the side of the bottle, watch at what rate the first 2 or 3 first drops fall into the atty, then take your eyes off the bottle and back on the road, counting the time it takes to release the X drops you want instead of counting the actual drops.

4/ Drip with your arms extended in front of you as far as possible, the atomizer and bottle firmly centered on the road, your wrists on the steering wheel and your knee also, for added control. That way, you can watch the road and the atomizer at the same time, and your eyes don't require too much time to bring either the road or the atomizer into focus.

Provided the driving situation is simple (straight, empty stretch of freeway), it's perfectly safe to do. It does require experience with dripping - that is, it's really only safe if you drip all the time anyway, and your hands are doing it on automatic. If you can drip while walking in the street with either hand, you can probably drip and drive safely too. But as my army instructor used to say, do anything for more than 21 days and it becomes a habit you don't have to concentrate on anymore.

VU Sponsors