Become a Patron!

Help. 8 18650 how to

Spencer2011

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
So I have started to draw a box on solid works to be 3D printed. I want this box to have 8 18650s. What is the safest way to make this work. Should I use chips and mosfets. What should I do to make sure this doesn't explode. I've seen and heard just to wire the negs and pos together. Neg to the 510 and pos to the fire switch then to the 510 and that will work fine. But what is the safest way to go about doing this.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I dunno, but you could use it for weightlifting in between vape hits. ;)

Andria

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
Why 8 batteries? With the circuit your describing it would make more sense to do a dual parallel build and carry the remaining 6 batteries in a case with you and replace them as they go down. I understand enthusiasm but it sounds like this is your first build so I would recommend some thing a little easier with a step by step tutorial to guide you along after a few of those and more research you will then know what you need to know to build your dream without having to ask.

Spencer2011

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Why 8 batteries? With the circuit your describing it would make more sense to do a dual parallel build and carry the remaining 6 batteries in a case with you and replace them as they go down. I understand enthusiasm but it sounds like this is your first build so I would recommend some thing a little easier with a step by step tutorial to guide you along after a few of those and more research you will then know what you need to know to build your dream without having to ask.
It will be in parallel. All the positives wired together. All the negatives wired together. What is the safest way to carry this much of a load. I've built 2 18650 boxes. But nothing this big.

Spencer2011

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I dunno, but you could use it for weightlifting in between vape hits. ;)

Andria
Well dang. If we're talking about weightlifting I might as well make a 26650 box with 10 batteries.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I could be mistaken here but I'd venture to say that with as low cost as most mods are, if most of us were capable of designing and building our own, we'd all be doing it.
3D printers have came down dramatically (I remember the 30k models clearly just a few years ago)
One could easily manage to purchase one and there are a handful of decent (not great be fair) free CAD softwares available even if only for demo.
If I were an electrical engineer, I'd definitely be building my own mod.
I also know a few people that work in machine shops that I could probably convince to machine me one good box design if I provided the specs.
However the lack of knowledge on my part for the wiring, chips, and proper communication controls prevent me from moving forward on the idea.
I've pictured quite a few interesting versions in my head, that's as far as they've went so far.
I can say, I'd be interested in a kick ass four 18650 version.
Simply for the longer battery life.
But if I were to go that far, I'd definitely want it to have all the TC options as well as play and store MP3s because...well.....it just should.
It'd be a cool desktop model.
But then again if I could do that, with the way I go overboard, I'd end up adding Bluetooth, NFC, barcode scanner, OS, and hell, call and text capabilities.
Don't get me wrong, I am NOT making fun of you or taking from your idea in any way, I was being serious.
If I had the capability to do it, I'd definitely go overboard and go all out.
I'd end up creating something that'd cost way to much to ever consider mass production and would never be seen by anyone other than those that happen to see it on my desk.
But I can say, I'd definitely use it and love it.
Damn, now that I've typed it, I want one.

Spencer2011

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I could be mistaken here but I'd venture to say that with as low cost as most mods are, if most of us were capable of designing and building our own, we'd all be doing it.
3D printers have came down dramatically (I remember the 30k models clearly just a few years ago)
One could easily manage to purchase one and there are a handful of decent (not great be fair) free CAD softwares available even if only for demo.
If I were an electrical engineer, I'd definitely be building my own mod.
I also know a few people that work in machine shops that I could probably convince to machine me one good box design if I provided the specs.
However the lack of knowledge on my part for the wiring, chips, and proper communication controls prevent me from moving forward on the idea.
I've pictured quite a few interesting versions in my head, that's as far as they've went so far.
I can say, I'd be interested in a kick ass four 18650 version.
Simply for the longer battery life.
But if I were to go that far, I'd definitely want it to have all the TC options as well as play and store MP3s because...well.....it just should.
It'd be a cool desktop model.
But then again if I could do that, with the way I go overboard, I'd end up adding Bluetooth, NFC, barcode scanner, OS, and hell, call and text capabilities.
Don't get me wrong, I am NOT making fun of you or taking from your idea in any way, I was being serious.
If I had the capability to do it, I'd definitely go overboard and go all out.
I'd end up creating something that'd cost way to much to ever consider mass production and would never be seen by anyone other than those that happen to see it on my desk.
But I can say, I'd definitely use it and love it.
Damn, now that I've typed it, I want one.

I have a dimension 1200 in my garage. And I have a copy of solid works. If I can draw it I can build it. But damn dude. You have the right idea. I've never thought about adding Bluetooth to it lol. I wonder if I can build something like SMOK with their Bluetooth functions lol.

I am planning on making a 4 battery box just for longer battery life. But for now. I want 8 or 10 batteries for shits and giggles. My issue is I'm not a electrical engineer and do not know the safest way to wire it in parallel. 2 batteries is easy. 10 or 8 is a different story. A lot more power

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Might wanna figure out a way to use no wires; something like copper bus bars to carry the current. Not that you need that much to vape with, but if a short occurred, wires would probably melt very quickly. Surely a fuse of some sort in there.

A flat pack battery instead of 18650s would be simpler and probably more powerful since you could eliminate all the battery connectors. When charging, messing with 8 batteries would be a pain. Onboard charging would be best, but with that many batteries in parallel you'd want your charging circuit to provide a couple amps or more. Charging at 500ma would take something just short of eternity.

Lastly, your switch. It's gonna take a pretty tough mechanical switch if you don't use any electronics. Just like the wires above, it would take only one short circuit to melt the switch internals.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
160 amps 672 watts I'll be looking forward to the you tube video.
If your going to do it use a chip so you have some control other than the resistance of the coil.

Last edited:

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would make a good power supply for a multi-port, juice-injected, nico-spiked hookah.

VU Sponsors