Become a Patron!

hel p with a battery charger

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys and gals! Im having a bit of a problem with a charger.
Here is what I have-
900 mah battery ego
420 mA usb charger
Here is the problem.
When I charge my 650 mah ego's the light on the charger turns red until it is charged, then turns green. But with the 900, The light turns red, then turns red/green when I assume it is charged.
But when I use the 900 it feels weak, like a 650 going dead.

I read a thread somewhere that said to charge a 900 on a 420 charger, takes 4 hours. Im new to vaping, and paid 20$ for this 900, don't want to burn it, just want longer life than a 650.
comments?

Last edited:

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Last edited:

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Lefty Its a 900 mah battery, I like the ego style e-cigs because I like the size, so, Im wondering why the 900 mah battery isn't as strong as my 650 mah batterys I got in my blister pack starter kit?
When I charge the 900, it will switch to green\red on a 420 mah charger , with a weak charge when I use it.
My 650 batteries are pleasantly strong after charging, but the 900....meh.
The 900 mah battery says bull's eye on it, looks to be stainless.
Maybe I should stay with 650's, or get a ego twist?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The 900 is going to take longer to charge fully. When it flashes back and forth green to red it's still charging. For a full charge you have to leave it until it stays green. It may be that the 900 isn't really 900 mAh, some don't actually put out what it's rated. The only way to tell is charge it until it's green and see how it works. A twist would certainly work but they do tend to be bigger (longer) due to the extra circuitry. The plus is you can set it to your liking.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
One thing I've noticed with egos is they don't all put out the same voltage even when charged fully, just the way they're made. If u had any paperwork with the 900 see what the voltage output is, without a meter it's hard to tell. Definitely look in to getting a twist, little bit bigger but u can change the output voltage. Personal experience, not all egos and twists are alike. Unfortunately so many companies make ego batteries anymore and they're not all made the same. I will say AVOID fast tech clone twists. I bought an evod twist 2 for like $10, even tho its "regulated" I can tell it doesn't put out consistent voltage and it randomly cuts off at 3 sec instead of the normal 10. If the charger seems to work good on your 650 it may be the 900 just doesn't like that charger, unfortunately I've noticed some with egos as well those 510 chargers can be a pain in the rear, why I went away from that to a micro USB chargeable device (eleaf istick) hope that helps some. Hopefully it's not the case, but u could have just gotten a bad battery like I did.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One thing I've noticed with egos is they don't all put out the same voltage even when charged fully, just the way they're made. If u had any paperwork with the 900 see what the voltage output is, without a meter it's hard to tell. Definitely look in to getting a twist, little bit bigger but u can change the output voltage. Personal experience, not all egos and twists are alike. Unfortunately so many companies make ego batteries anymore and they're not all made the same. I will say AVOID fast tech clone twists. I bought an evod twist 2 for like $10, even tho its "regulated" I can tell it doesn't put out consistent voltage and it randomly cuts off at 3 sec instead of the normal 10. If the charger seems to work good on your 650 it may be the 900 just doesn't like that charger, unfortunately I've noticed some with egos as well those 510 chargers can be a pain in the rear, why I went away from that to a micro USB chargeable device (eleaf istick) hope that helps some. Hopefully it's not the case, but u could have just gotten a bad battery like I did.
Hmm, I've learned not to write off a device or company due to a bad experience. As for Fasttech, I've bought many of their recent Evods in bundles, with no complaints. a few for myself and the rest as givaways.

@angus67 Is it a new 900 mod you have there? And are you using the charger that came with it or the one for the 650? I'm not saying it's not a dud - just that new batteries take longer to charge. I've had egos in the past that took all night to charge.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Back when I started vaping I had a joye 1000mah twist. It took close to overnight to charge. Depending on the battery/charging cable, some will go from red to blinking to show partial charge then finally green when it's good to go.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Guessing I got a few dud batteries, upgraded now, but the convenience of egos just in your pocket is really nice.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thanks guys.
I will charge it longer . Ive charged it about two hours at a time for 3 days. Ill charge today for 4 and see what happens.
Hobby kid, Its just a ego 510 with a clearomizer. it didn't come with a charger.And when I say goes red/green, its like both the red led and the green led are on at same time. I let it keep charging like that for an hour last night, thinking it was just in the middle of full charge.
Mos def, Joshua.
E-cigarette-USB-charger.jpg

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No way it's getting fully charged in an hour or two. Unless something is defective, it won't over charge. Leave it on the charger for a much longer time. There's probably nothing wrong with it. It's just not being allowed to fully charge. Good luck.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thanks . I will let it charge for the remainder of the day, unless I leave the house.
Q. Does this type of charger have a maintenance mode? like trickle charge after full charge?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Either flashing back and forth or showing both colors, same thing. Just depends on the charger. It trickles towards the end of the cycle. Don't leave it on there after full green.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah definitely let it fully charge to where the light is constant green then pull it off. Pulling it early will never give it a full charge. Alot of egos the light stays on while charging (a feature I like) if yours does that keep it charging till the light shuts off.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thank you.
I bought the 900 at a b&m before finding this forum, and even at the time I thought was a little spendy, but with this forum , Ive found many online stores with much more affordable services.
It just says bull's eye on it. I did find a ecig site with bulls eye stuff on it, but the font on the battery, and the font used on the bulls eye site doesn't match.I will assume a cheap knockoff,

Last edited:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had a usb charging cable that didn't charge properly so I got another cable and it charged my battery fine. But leave yours to charge as long as possible first. Like I said earlier, one of my ego twists required overnight charging. Mad I know.

Really, I say if you get a mod with a replaceable battery or even something like an eleaf istick you do get used to the size. Even if you wanna have it on you while you're working. You just figure it out.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well, the charger works fine with my 650 mah batts, and its output is 420 mA.
The 650's start out red, then go straight to green, no in between.
I was even thinking of using a 350 mah for on the go to further reduce the size.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My ego charger has a light on it. The light on the battery goes out after it's full. The light on the charger turns from red to green when the battery is full. Double indication. A cheap digital multimeter is a good item for any vaper to have. They don't always do a good job of measuring resistance because it's harder to do, but measuring voltage is much easier and cheap dmm's do a fine job of that. Removes a lot of the guess work.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I just finished charge on a 650, and using a digital multimeter set at 20 volts, the battery shows 15 volts.(I assume a dmm is a digital multimeter)
sound right? Im not a whiz at electronics, so bare with me here.
What setting on a dmm for amps would I use for a 650mah? choices are 20u,200u,2m,20m, 200m,10a.
Ive only used a dmm for voltage and ohm.
Im choosing to test a 650 fully charged, so that I am not clueless when I charge and test my 900.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No ecig battery puts out 15 volts. Unregulated batteries put out 4.2v when fully charged. Forget about trying to measure current flow. That's more complicated than measuring volts. Check the voltage again. You did something wrong if you got 15 volts.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
perfect...looks to be half the size of a 650.I think the standard clear's are slightly smaller than that aspire. How is the pull on that?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Trying to check an ego with a voltmeter is problematical at best. Many are regulated so even when fully charged to 4.2v only output 3.6v (or whatever choice of regulation was made when it was designed). It's not like a regular cell where you can directly measure the charge. The charger is also interacting with the ego's controller so the light's behavior is not a reliable indication of good/bad. The only real indicator of a complete charge is steady green.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The big atty is a Kayfun 3.1 made by Ehpro. The small one is an Evod 2. I put a 28 gauge coil I made myself in the evod and wicked it with cotton. Works much better than the factory coil. The old style coil heads are fairly simple to rebuild. With a thicker wire, it needs a little more power to work well. It's on the MVP now and the Kayfun is on a 30 watt box mod.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Trying to check an ego with a voltmeter is problematical at best. Many are regulated so even when fully charged to 4.2v only output 3.6v (or whatever choice of regulation was made when it was designed). It's not like a regular cell where you can directly measure the charge. The charger is also interacting with the ego's controller so the light's behavior is not a reliable indication of good/bad. The only real indicator of a complete charge is steady green.
Good point. I haven't used my 'non remove-able battery' devices in a while and completely brain farted that. I read your post and said to myself, "oh yeah, no kidding huh?" :confused:

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's also quite possible that the 650 is not regulated and the 900 is. So the 650's starting point fully charged would be 4.2v and the 900 as low as 3.6. So therefor would hit harder. The only way to tell that would be a voltmeter. Set the MM to DCV 20 and the positive lead to the center pin, the negative to the ego threads and push the button. It wouldn't necessarily indicate the battery's charge state but would indicate output voltage.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My 350 puts out 3.7 on a full charge. After it drains a little, output rises. Must be falling out of regulation and direct driving. Silly little things.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
did this..... "The only way to tell that would be a voltmeter. Set the MM to DCV 20 and the positive lead to the center pin, the negative to the ego threads and push the button. It wouldn't necessarily indicate the battery's charge state but would indicate output voltage."
so my 650 reads 3.6 after some use. The 900 is still on the charger, red/green.
@Lefty, The 900 doesn't 'hit' harder, It acts near as weak as the 650 needing a charge.
I will wait a few more hours on the 900 still charging. then I will test its output, and will report back, then we will decide the fate of this battery.

punishedprimate

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
all those ego chargers are crap. good thing is they're only about $4-$6 bucks each so get a few

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"The 900 doesn't 'hit' harder, It acts near as weak as the 650 needing a charge.
I said that the 650 might hit harder due to not being regulated, not the 900, but if the 650 is regulated at 3.6v that really shouldn't be the case. If it still hits poorly after a full charge, assuming it gets there, then you might want to take it back to the seller and demonstrate the difference between it and your 650.
If it's charging the 650 OK it's not likely to be the charger.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A 420 mAh charger should charge a 900 mAh battery in a little more than two hours. Simple math. 900 divided by 420 = 2.14 hours. Check to see if the connection is clean and making good contact with both the ground and center pin.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A 420 mAh charger should charge a 900 mAh battery in a little more than two hours. Simple math. 900 divided by 420 = 2.14 hours. Check to see if the connection is clean and making good contact with both the ground and center pin.
That would be correct if the charge current stayed the same during the entire charge cycle, but it doesn't so it's not actually simple math.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I had ithe 900 on the charger for 5 hrs last night. never turned green, just red/green at same time.
The connections are clean and tight, but not too tight. voltage at 4.06
Do you think maybe the positive pin might be too deep? It shouldn't be because it is taking some charge.
Also, before I charge, I swab with a dry qtip. The center pins in my batteries are a bit brownish, but so are my 650's and they charge fine.
What is a safe liquid cleaner to use on the contacts? I have electrical cleaner for contacts and stuff (craig de-oxit) Im tempted to try that on the charger contacts and the batteries, just want conformation before doing so.
When I use de-oxit to clean out audio contacts and pots, I let it sit over night to be sure the cleaner is all gone.
Im prolly spending WAY too much time on this, and should move on.

Last edited:

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so after 5hrs charging, I used the 900 most of the day. Stays steady. maybe lefty was right(lol), The 900 must be regulated, and the 650's are not.
Like I says, worked all day, stayed constant, 10 second pull. It just feels a bit....different.
Well' im closing the book on this one. I now have a back up battery.
Thanks to all for your help and insight. Im new to vaping, so It has been educational, Even if it is mundane to you gurus out there. The more you now.
g'nite

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey! after I forgot it on the charger last night, it finally turned green. POS

VU Sponsors