Become a Patron!

Heartburn

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey everyone, I have a kind of weird question... Has anyone experienced heartburn, indigestion, etc from flavors that give you heartburn etc when you eat them? I'm trying to word this right and it isn't working... Like, for instance, bananas give me heartburn when I eat them, OK! So does that mean if I vape an e-liquid that is or has banana in it I would get the heartburn? I'm experiencing 2 things actually here lately and I can't figure out what is causing it. I'm having heartburn and a sour stomach at times plus I'm staying congested all the time like when I was smoking. Both symptoms get worse as the day goes on to the point of sounding like I'm coughing up a lung while coughing. The congestion sounds horrible but the indigestion is worrying me more. Any suggestions? These symptoms started when I started diy BTW... I probably should've mentioned that already

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OH ya!!
Not just ya but a seriously big hell yes.
Lets tackle the stuffy snot box first. Scent sensitivity since you quit smoking is very likely due to the hairs shedding the horrible sludge that is burnt tar. Depending on the flavor it is instant sinus headache to migraine for me, I have to watch it on some of the fruits.
For heartburn it could be a couple things. Better to get checked by a Dr. before self diagnosis.
Liquid on the tongue, increased taste and saliva response, increased nic absorbing into the mucosa of the mouth.
To much flavorings can also cause it.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long have you been smoke free? You could be working up some sludge.
Too much pg makes some people cough, with others, high vg causes chest congestion. I personally get snotty when exhaling through the nose instead of the mouth.
Some fruity vapes will give you heartburn. For me, it's pineapple. And if reading your previous posts serves me correctly, haven't you been under a lot of stress lately? @BigNasty is right in advising you have that checked out. It's likely certain juices, but better safe than sorry.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you vaping high VG, high diacetyl e-liquids?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first started vaping I got it, but it was from the high nic % I used, it also gave me the hic cups, lowered it down and it went away.
DH used the nicorette gum and discovered as he was swallowing and using the gum a lot it was doing the same thing to him.
After he stopped the gum , it went away

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I can see, where flavors in the eJuice can give you heartburn, especially, when you already know eating the real thing did. You get those flavors into your mouth, and obviously you swallow your saliva. Therefore, those flavors also get into your stomach. However, as the others have mentioned, have it checked out by a doctor, before you develope an ulcer, like I did. I used to have heartburn every day, due to stress at work. I just took some Zantec for it. Over time, I noticed, I was having difficulty swallowing my food. It felt as if it got stuck on the way into my stomach. At that point, I went to the doctor (too late!). Now I have to take Prilosec OTC (24 hour) every day, in order to avoid any further problems.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Taking medications doesn't solve the issue; they merely mask the symptoms of a problem...

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for all the suggestions... @Teresa P, its been about 11 mos of straight Vaping, I smoked and vaped for around a month before quitting cigs completely. I have been under a lot of stress lately but I didn't know that could affect me in that way. Since starting diy I've been doing a 60/40 vg/pg with 6mg nic. As far as my flavorings go I might be off by a hair on them but IMO not enough to matter. Seeing as how I'm just starting diying I'm probably wrong. @Huckleberried, sorry for posting in the wrong thread :)

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not a Doctor,but I play one on T.V. :rolleyes: ....I fight fire with fire,I have what is called G.E.R.D. and was told to take a half shot of Apple cider vinegar and down it with Your nose pinched and chase with a gulp of room temp water....It causes the stomach to stop the acid production for a while and Bananas are supposed to be good for digestion,but they don't like Me either....Z

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've heard of drinking the vinegar but that's hard to get down... I'm afraid it would make me vomit... I hear that about bananas all the time especially back in the day from Mom and Grandma :)
Get this though, both times I was preggers bananas were the only thing I could eat when I had heartburn... Figure that out! Lol....

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK my story.
at 34 I was not able to keep anything down, my diet sucked I mean REALLY sucked. Stress off the freaking charts smoking 2-4 packs a day and running high octane coffee all day every day and rolling with high mg snus.
Got so bad with the rolaids and pain I was taking prilosec... At this time the only protein I could stomach was those fake chicken patty things.

Fast forward a could years later I lost that job and my migraines, and stomach issues vanished. Changed the diet and quit smoking. Now I get some acid burn it is a bit of baking soda or apple cider vinegar.

De-stress and try to eat healthy, it will help.

Last edited:

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't taste anything when I can't smell it,I kinda like it,like Boons farm apple wine gone bad,but not bad enough....I mix some up with Honey as a cold remedy....two Tbs.Honey,one of ACV in a half full glass of hot water....Sip n gargle....Z

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think anybody else mentioned it but maybe just slowing down on vaping might help.As 1 of the first signs of nicotine poisoning is a sour stomach.Usually followed by cramps.It could be any of the other stuff listed in this thread.However I remember what it was like when I was still so very new to vaping.I was going to vape all the time so I didn't get the craving to smoke.Boy was I ever so dumb back then.
Anyhow just remember Rule #2 - Vape Safe, Vape Sane.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Bananas gave me hart burn and so did vaping banana? Anyhow it took over two and half years for my lungs cleared them selves for the most part. Most people that quit without vaping hacked up blackish crud and all kinds of other disgusting elements for several years after quitting. Fortunately with me and vaping I only spit clear fluid time to time for couple years. Now that is after smoking for 40 years! So I feel vaping really relieved what I would had to go through without it. Now I just vape cause I like it.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm as long as I VAPE 80/20pg I can drink my wine while vaping... High pg gave acid... That's just me..

VAPE ON

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you for the link... One can't be too careful

I lost two very near and dear to me women in their late 40s to heart attacks, one thought she had an ulcer the other thought she had a bad tooth. Nether presented with the classic mens' heart attack symptoms.

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I lost two very near and dear to me women in their late 40s to heart attacks, one thought she had an ulcer the other thought she had a bad tooth. Nether presented with the classic mens' heart attack symptoms.
When my mom had her first 2 heart attacks her symptoms weren't typical either. I seem to remember her doc at the time talking about how women have different symptoms. I've not heard about the bad tooth as one before. That's crazy... Sorry for your losses BTW..

Alexanders

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im having the same problem im not sure if vaping is the cause i stopped drinking coffee but my bowels are annoyed still so it might not due to vaping but thats just cause the acids moved down i bet.

i stopped drinking 2 days ago so not that long but damn i hope its not because of vaping....

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Im having the same problem im not sure if vaping is the cause i stopped drinking coffee but my bowels are annoyed still so it might not due to vaping but thats just cause the acids moved down i bet.

i stopped drinking 2 days ago so not that long but damn i hope its not because of vaping....
Depends on how long since you stopped smoking. Lots of chemicals in cigarettes, then stopping smoking... kinda messes with your whole body. It gets better.

As far as heartburn, some flavorings cause that with some vapers.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe its the food you eat. Steaks chicken burgers pork! E juice doesn't give you heartburn

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Gallbladder.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My wife cant eat Mangoes due to allergies. She had no reaction vaping it. Must be artificial flavor Lol

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had heartburn before and have it now, maybe a bit more but i can live with it since it's the only side effect of vaping for me.

If you want a remedy for heartburn without buying medication, you can dissolve a bit of baking soda in water and drink it (disgusting but does the job).
If you want to go all natural, any fresh green vegetable will do the trick so try eating a cucumber (and by cucumber I don't mean a pickle).

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It may have been mentioned, this being an old thread, but I know for a fact that sometimes too high nicotine, or just vaping itself, can bring on monster hiccups.... so I'd think that heartburn could also be a possibility. It could be too much nicotine; one of my early symptoms with nic-sic is heartburn, abdom. pain, crampy little stabby pains; it could be an allergy or intolerance of either PG or VG, (Vg, especially for the "snotty" part), or it could be that the molecule which causes the reaction after eating the actual food is also present in the vape, and thus may cause a similar or other negative reaction. Be especially careful of organic-derived flavors of ejuice, if you have any food allergies; the allergen may be in the vape too.

Andria

Alexanders

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did vape pineapple but it was days ago.. Not my gallbladder ...i dont wanna go into details but i was like a day on the runs...

Im just wondering if its from vaping or not so i stopped drinking coffee its somewhat better today but still lot of acid...i vape 12 and 6 on sub ohm sometimes.

Oh slice of raw potato helps absorb the acids it works well.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I did vape pineapple but it was days ago.. Not my gallbladder ...i dont wanna go into details but i was like a day on the runs...

Im just wondering if its from vaping or not so i stopped drinking coffee its somewhat better today but still lot of acid...i vape 12 and 6 on sub ohm sometimes.

12mg at sub-ohm could definitely bring on diarrhea! Nicotine stimulates peristalsis, the natural movement of the colon.

Andria

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want a remedy for heartburn without buying medication, you can dissolve a bit of baking soda in water and drink it (disgusting but does the job).
Drinking a teaspoon of white distilled vinegar does the trick too.

Alexanders

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i vape 12 normal and six on sub ohm i ment. I havent touched the atlantis in a few days and i wont. Im feeling better today.

Maybe its because i was chain vaping..i useally vape 2 tanks of 12 mg nicotine.. Nowadays i just vape every hour..Feeling better today...

Alexanders

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
12mg at sub-ohm could definitely bring on diarrhea! Nicotine stimulates peristalsis, the natural movement of the colon.

Andria

thank you didnt know think i just got too much nicotine overall i might switch back to six after i vaped all my 12s..and just cut down i think chain vaping on 12 mg constantly isnt a good idea anyway lol.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

You didn't say how long since you put down cigarettes. That part, alongside picking up vaping can have something to do with the other stuff. I've seen several people say the same.

Alexanders

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
19 days and counting im feeling a lot better these days i havent touched my atlantis and im gonna be careful with vaping on it. It is a beast. Got my kanger mini top tank and coils and it is much better. No acid no upset bowels. :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
19 days and counting
1st, congratulations! 2nd, It's good that it's subsiding, just know that that particular symptom is one that I've seen mentioned by many people shortly after stopping smoking and starting vaping. Of course, should that return, consider a doc's opinion, we can only share our own experiences.

Glad its better :)

Alexanders

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
1st, congratulations! 2nd, It's good that it's subsiding, just know that that particular symptom is one that I've seen mentioned by many people shortly after stopping smoking and starting vaping. Of course, should that return, consider a doc's opinion, we can only share our own experiences.

Glad its better :)

Ahhh alright makes sense, thanks! :)

VU Sponsors