Become a Patron!

Having trouble with my mod, please help!

kanemccoy.business

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, I'm sorta new to the coil building. I've been vaping for a while but I just started attempting to build myself. I have 2 mods and one of them isn't working out too well. My first one is running dual coils, 24gauge pushing .6 ohms and works terrifically. My 2nd mod is having some awkward trouble with the firing button on the bottom. The battery got so hot the other day that it the firing button actually gave me a blister. The coils do not heat up when fired. The mod itself gets ridiculously hot. The mod is a mephisto something (blah blah). One with a magnet that levitates the battery. I have tried different coil builds but none of them seem to work. I'm not sure if it's the coils or the mod itself. All of my coil builds are between .5 and .9 ohms and I have a sony vtc4 (2100 mAh) battery, 2 vc3s (2000mAh), and 2 pvtso imr-18650 (1600mAh) that I use. All 3.7V.

I could use all the help I can get before I get too frustrated.

Thanks!

montijo505

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Stick to the VTC4, buy some more of them, if you're building over .5 most the time then look into the Samsung 25R also very good batteries. Do you use an ohm meter? One thing that can be causing the issue is a short. Be very very careful when the battery/mod gets hot, battery venting is no joke and it could explode in a second if something is amiss. Also your batteries should never be discharged to lower than 3.2V, is your mod heating up with all different batteries? If not then maybe the battery in question is fried and needs to be recycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
is the mod a clone? if so its possible that the mod is made out of a subpar metal. the button on a mod completes the circuit so if the metal is hard for the current to flow through it will cause heat. think of the button as another coil its resistance will also cause heat in this case.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Besides looking for a short, depending on how often you've been using the mod, the switch might have to be cleaned. A little test you could do is to take the top of the other mod and put it on the "defective" mod. If it does heat up as well, you know, it's the mod causing the problem.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Youre batteries are not an issue but considering youve gotten them that hot i would consider replacing them as a safety issue.

If this atty or tank doesnt make your other mods hot its apparently an issue with the mod itself..I cant tell you where or what to do to fix it as i dont have it in my hands but consider not using it anymore...For it to get that hot youre pretty lucky it wasnt more that happened.

The switch and the 510 could be an area of your issue...its not the metal as even the cheapest tube mods work if their isnt a problem someplace else.

Its obviously a short in something with the mod...Take it completely apart and look for a burn mark..This will be the indication of where your short is and then you need to determine why its shorting there..Dont use it again unless your 100 percent certain you found the problem...Get new batteries also please.

It could be the battery if the plastic is tore it will short out this just happened to me heard a hissing sound hot to touch the bat had a nick in it and fried itself the whole bat is ground except the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Like stated above, try switching atomizers, see if it still heats up on you. It's probably the mod i'm betting

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
check your battery wraps, if they are torn trash them and replace them with either sony vtc4's, Samsung 25r's or LGhe4's. those seam to be the better trusted for subohm builds.
also if you're using a hybrid mod (atomizer makes direct contact with the battery) make sure the center pin of the 510 on the atomizer is pulled out quite a bit.
and please by all means, if it's getting that hot to cause blisters and burn wounds, you may want to consider a trip to B&M or a face to face with an experienced vapor. burns are bad.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Burns are bad. Venting is worse. If your mod and battery heat up quiclky, and the coils do not, you have a short. If the coils are also heating you have a poor connection somewhere. If the mod has an adjustable positive pin, make sure that it is properly and snugly connecting with the positive pin in the center of the 510 threads on the bottom of the atty. This should protrude a couple of millimeters below the threaded sleeve of the atty. Most are adjustable with a screwdriver.
If you have a hybrid top mod, it is absolutely essential that you check the positive pin of the atty to make sure it clears the negative threads. You will short the battery every time you press the button otherwise.
If the coils are heating up as well, you may have a poor contact surface between the button and the sleeve, or the magnets could be shorting it partially. Check the bottom of the batteries for small black spots where the button makes contact and do the same for the contact on the button. If the contact shows signs of corrosion, those small scorch marks or any sort of buildup, clean it with fine grained sand paper (300 grit or higher) and do the same for the sides of the button where it slides inside the cap. Do the same for the inside of the cap as well where they contact.
Make sure the insulators are properly positioned between the magnet and the battery, as well as the magnet and the button.
Next, check the resistance of the atty with the coils in place. If it is excessively low, you may have a short in the build or the atty itself. If this is the case, remove the coils and check the resistance between the body of the atty and the positive post with a multimeter if you have one. If it reads anything but basically infinite, you have a short in the atty itself. You can attempt to fix it, but it would likely be easier to replace it.

VU Sponsors