Become a Patron!

Having trouble understanding LG 18650 batteries

Hi, I'm a new to this site. And fairly new to vaping ( about 6 months) I've tried to do my research on the best and safest 18650 batteries for me. Right now I'm using Kangertech Kbox mini w/top tank, and a Kbox mini -c.
Now here's my issues/question if anyone can help ..... I've always bought LG HG2 18650 batteries for my mods. and they come stamped with LGHG2 etc.
Now I've purchased some that are marked with a sticker that say IMR 18650. I didn't order them this way, I ordered the usual and these are also brown. Sorry I'm trying to make a long story short... lol But what is the difference between the IMR, and the usual LG HG2 battery? I've also seen INR. I buy from a 'No Clone zone' store, yet they sent me these.... any help would be great!! Thanks!

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
If it is a sticker on the battery you can peel it off to reveal manufactures print on the battery. Something to do with export compliance if I remember correctly. If the battery looks different Let us know what is on the label under the sticker and your mystery will be solved. Welcome to VU.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The sticker was not put on there by LG. Some distributors put on a sticker... others don't. Usually it has to do with air freight regulations in the country they were sent to. Even if the battery manufacturers (like LG, Panasonic, Samsung, or Sony) officially put "IMR" on the battery wrap (not on a sticker, but on the actual wrap of the battery) doesn't mean the battery uses the IMR type of battery chemistry. (The type of chemistry that the LG HG2 uses is INR/NMC.) So basically if it says "IMR", it just means nothing.

After taking the stickers off of all six ( they were on sale) they all say LGDBHG21865. It would've been easier if they hadn't put the sticker right over the original print... imo.
Now I checked another battery that I've had for a while, and when I took the sticker off there was nothing under it?? No print anywhere except for the sticker, could this be a dud?
And when I got these batteries I checked their charge, they're all about 25% charged. Should I charge them all, and then store them or should I store them and bring them out in two's as I need them?
Again, I want to thank you all for your input!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No print indicates the wrap was changed after they left the factory. But there are a lot of fake batteries out there, and in fact there have been spotted fake LG HG2 batteries countless times in the past so be careful. If you buy your batteries from a trusted vendor, at least you'll have some guaratee that you'll get notified by the vendor immediately as soon as they find out they've been unknowingly selling fakes... whereas other vendors might just keep the lid on it, or might possibly even knowingly be selling fakes. Use a few verified genuine LG HG2 batteries─and that haven't yet aged a lot─for a reference point. If your newly bought LG HG2 batteries get noticeably warmer than these references when you're using them the same, that should get the alarm bells ringing. Fake LG HG2 batteries are usually (but certainly not always) genuine lower amp batteries, like maybe only 10 amps or 12 amps, that are made to look like they're genuine LG HG2 batteries (the latter ones are rated 20 amps).

Storing lithium-ion rechargeable batteries each and every single time for more than a day after they've been fully charged to 4.2 volts will cause them to age noticeably faster. If you have the choice, if it's not an inconvenience to you, then avoid charging them too long before you start using them again, but do let them cool down after the charging is finished, and, in addition, don't leave them on the charger for like days after the charging is finished... the strongest factor that causes batteries to age faster is battery temperature, though.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
After taking the stickers off of all six ( they were on sale) they all say LGDBHG21865. It would've been easier if they hadn't put the sticker right over the original print... imo.
Now I checked another battery that I've had for a while, and when I took the sticker off there was nothing under it?? No print anywhere except for the sticker, could this be a dud?
And when I got these batteries I checked their charge, they're all about 25% charged. Should I charge them all, and then store them or should I store them and bring them out in two's as I need them?
Again, I want to thank you all for your input!

25% is a low charge but a lot of factors can play into that so its not necessarily definitive of a fake or defective battery. Handling, temperature, time in storage can all play a factor in that.

If they are going to be in a rotation you should charge them all the way up and start your rotation. If you plan to store them long term charge them to about 65% and then when you want them in rotation charge them all the way up and use them regularly.

Here is an article from liionwholesale about fake LG HG2
https://liionwholesale.com/blogs/re...116708676-lg-hg2-fake-batteries-on-the-market

Might be worth doing an inspection of the one you have with nothing on it.

VU Sponsors