Become a Patron!

Having trouble getting the new coil dialed in on my mutation x v3

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like 1.5 ohm single coils on the v3 but lost count and built a 1.8. I cannot get the same flavor with the new coil. I rewicked twice and adjusted height a few times. The screws are tight and no shorts. Now the height is in the middle of the holes. I only use the left most three air holes and close the other side.

How much different is a 1.8 ohm than a 1.5 ohm as far as watts? I ran the 1.5 around 14 with really good results. The 1.8 is okay at 17 but not the same. Less gives muted flavor and more is just hotter with no effect.

How high should the coil be compared to the screws? I just loaded the 1.5 on and never paid attention to height. Got lucky, I guess.

I do have some Japanese cotton and nichrome 80 coming to test that setup.

I am using 28g kanthal and got 29g and 30g nichrome to test.

Thanks for the help.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What about your wicking? Is it looser or tighter, longer, shorter?

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The first time was loose, which worked well before. I changed it and tightened it some but it was not binding but if I held it certain way it clogged the air holes. I cut some off and put it back in. It seems to be wicking okay but now maybe not quitr enough since I cut the length.

That is why I asked about coil height. Not had the air holes clogged before. Only in one direction.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You could tweak the resistance by straighten one or two wraps on one side of the coil, and reinstall the coil. With a dual coil build, take off the same amount of wraps, on the same side of the coil.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Have you tried lower and or dual builds? Also, what diameter? If you want flavor, I've read to keep the coils lower, mine sit with the bottom, even with the top of the juice well. I'd consider 26ga, too.

I was all about the 1.2 ohm range on my Kayfuns, and when I got my Mutations, I found the sweet spot to be around .45. Two 3mm 5 or 6 wrap coils should be around that resistance. It's a good flavor build if you keep only three airflow holes open each side.

Not saying you have to dual, or build that low, but that atty performs well there. It's worth a shot to see if you like it.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you tried lower and or dual builds? Also, what diameter? If you want flavor, I've read to keep the coils lower, mine sit with the bottom, even with the top of the juice well. I'd consider 26ga, too.

I was all about the 1.2 ohm range on my Kayfuns, and when I got my Mutations, I found the sweet spot to be around .45. Two 3mm 5 or 6 wrap coils should be around that resistance. It's a good flavor build if you keep only three airflow holes open each side.

Not saying you have to dual, or build that low, but that atty performs well there. It's worth a shot to see if you like it.

What watts do you Vape that?

I generally use a diameter of 2.38 or 2.77. I need to make more notes. I have considered 26g but thought since I was only doing a single coil 28g would be better.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In my opinion your wire is too thin. 28g is great for a kayfun, but something like a mutation really benefits from using thicker wire. Whether building single or duals, 24g would work much better. By a lot. Seriously. Get some 24g wire.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What watts do you Vape that?

I generally use a diameter of 2.38 or 2.77. I need to make more notes. I have considered 26g but thought since I was only doing a single coil 28g would be better.
.4 range on a Mutation X, I vape from 45-60 watts depending on juice etc...I know it can vape fine up to 80 watts, probably more. I like a hot vape, and that build at 55 watts is great.

And I know I suggested you get 26ga, and others have said 24ga. Either one will work better for you. Reminds me I need to order some 22, and 24 ga kanthal, and some 28 and 26 ga Ni200. Gonna get that Ni200 ordered soon.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks everyone. Mi just got 29 nichrome 80 in. I was at a place that had only 24 kanthal left but didn't know about that. I will try these. I wanted to try 26.

VU Sponsors