Become a Patron!

Got a new Z Atty U today

Mildred Studebaker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, I wanted this for my collection, not because it's a great genny, but because I'm a genny freak, it's a part of genny vaping history, and a big name in that arena. I'd seen videos of this Zen guy, who came off like an arrogant control-freak with hard-baked ideas about how it should be done, and he'd made a name for himself, somewhat. Pbusardo reviewed his stuff and gave him big thumbs up. Biggie wow....

I got this genny at The Vapor Store on Del Prado today here in sunny Cape Coma. They had it marked $180, and I got it for $50. Gennies aren't selling like hotcakes as we all know, and theirs have been sitting there for quite a while. They called corporate, and I got a decent price.

I got it home, unboxed (untubed) it, and looked it over. It was already built with a wick and coil that I frankly found laughable. There was a tiny thin spindle of SS mesh wick wrapped with 32 kanthal in it, and as it turned out that pathetic little wick was all that would fit in the wick hole of the atty, because it had a plastic insulator in it, making the wick hole pretty effing small. Then, saints preserve us, provided with the atty is a couple plastic bags of his pre-oxidized wicks, as if you as a genny user wouldn't know how to produce them yourself, and might have to come begging to him when you ran out.

To top it off, effing 32 kanthal???? Really? In a GENNY? REALLY???? Thoughtfully provided is more 32 kanthal on a sewing bobbin as though you'd be stupid enough to use it.

This was the brainchild of Zen, the bearded muppet who engineered the Z atty's, and a flaming control-freaking autocrat about vaping, which in his view we should all be doing as he tells us. I do understand why he says that, and of course it's because he's wrong. Let's be clear, anyone who adopts the name Zen and goes out there like he did has an ego issue.

The Z Atty's are the material manifestation of his vaping philosophy, in which he has invested his ego quite totally, and I quickly set about violating that in quite brutal terms. I paid for it, it's mine, I'll do what I want with it to make it vape the way I want. Go change your Depends Mr. Zen, I'm busy. I drilled out the air hole to 5/64ths, then punched that stupid insulator out of the wick hole. It's a plastic tube that you don't need if you have the brain cells to oxidize your wicks so they don't ground out on the deck.

I wound a coil from 26 kanthal at .8 ohm to fit one of my own decently sized wicks rolled from 400 mesh and installed those on the Z Atty U, stuck it on one of my Poldiacs, quickly tweaked the coil into an even glow, and juiced it up. In a few vapes it was cooking decently. Not that it can hold a candle to the DID or the Origenny, but still decent. It was not a waste of money, I have filled that blank spot in my collection and with a working genny, but hey, it's not all it was promoted to be, by a long shot, and neither is Mr. Zen.

Inspired by this experience I went to MM Vapors and ordered a second DID.

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think he meant Dudette. :D

Welcome to VU!

Fishman1704

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So to be correct, it should also be guys and guysettes? Who'd a thunk?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The 100 year old lady in the pic, the name and the listed member age of 61 are Internet fiction. I'm not an idiot dude.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, I wanted this for my collection, not because it's a great genny, but because I'm a genny freak, it's a part of genny vaping history, and a big name in that arena. I'd seen videos of this Zen guy, who came off like an arrogant control-freak with hard-baked ideas about how it should be done, and he'd made a name for himself, somewhat. Pbusardo reviewed his stuff and gave him big thumbs up. Biggie wow....

I got this genny at The Vapor Store on Del Prado today here in sunny Cape Coma. They had it marked $180, and I got it for $50. Gennies aren't selling like hotcakes as we all know, and theirs have been sitting there for quite a while. They called corporate, and I got a decent price.

I got it home, unboxed (untubed) it, and looked it over. It was already built with a wick and coil that I frankly found laughable. There was a tiny thin spindle of SS mesh wick wrapped with 32 kanthal in it, and as it turned out that pathetic little wick was all that would fit in the wick hole of the atty, because it had a plastic insulator in it, making the wick hole pretty effing small. Then, saints preserve us, provided with the atty is a couple plastic bags of his pre-oxidized wicks, as if you as a genny user wouldn't know how to produce them yourself, and might have to come begging to him when you ran out.

To top it off, effing 32 kanthal???? Really? In a GENNY? REALLY???? Thoughtfully provided is more 32 kanthal on a sewing bobbin as though you'd be stupid enough to use it.

This was the brainchild of Zen, the bearded muppet who engineered the Z atty's, and a flaming control-freaking autocrat about vaping, which in his view we should all be doing as he tells us. I do understand why he says that, and of course it's because he's wrong. Let's be clear, anyone who adopts the name Zen and goes out there like he did has an ego issue.

The Z Atty's are the material manifestation of his vaping philosophy, in which he has invested his ego quite totally, and I quickly set about violating that in quite brutal terms. I paid for it, it's mine, I'll do what I want with it to make it vape the way I want. Go change your Depends Mr. Zen, I'm busy. I drilled out the air hole to 5/64ths, then punched that stupid insulator out of the wick hole. It's a plastic tube that you don't need if you have the brain cells to oxidize your wicks so they don't ground out on the deck.

I wound a coil from 26 kanthal at .8 ohm to fit one of my own decently sized wicks rolled from 400 mesh and installed those on the Z Atty U, stuck it on one of my Poldiacs, quickly tweaked the coil into an even glow, and juiced it up. In a few vapes it was cooking decently. Not that it can hold a candle to the DID or the Origenny, but still decent. It was not a waste of money, I have filled that blank spot in my collection and with a working genny, but hey, it's not all it was promoted to be, by a long shot, and neither is Mr. Zen.

Inspired by this experience I went to MM Vapors and ordered a second DID.
I agree 100%!
When I got my Provari, Provape recommended the Zen Atty Pro so I ordered one, for a whopping $140!
Thought wow, this has to be a great Genny made special just for the Provari..
It came prebuilt with a delicate ceramic wick wrapped in 32g Kanthel.
What a joke! It had hotspots on the coil and the legs just glowed red all by themselves...The ceramic wick broke off flush with the deck and I was pissed!
After watching that stupid video of Zen I went to a local vape shop that also sold the Z-Atty Pro as they were a Provape vendor...
They pulled out that little insulator and rolled a ss mesh wick after oxidizing it with a torch. He also wrapped a 26 guage Kanthel coil for it..
It was better than the way Provape set it up but for a $140 I expected a lot more top-end performance, and the damn thing leaked juice big time if I laid it on its side...total waste of $140+ shipping.. I call it part of my learning curve..sorta expensive way to learn but what the hell..won't believe anything from Provape ever again..thx for reading my rant...lol

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Mildred Studebaker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The 100 year old lady in the pic, the name and the listed member age of 61 are Internet fiction. I'm not an idiot dude.

Yes you are. Anyone with a brain knows better than put their real identity on the internet, idiot. I'm certainly not a dude and don't care to be addressed as such. Nor do I care to hear from you again. <ig>

Last edited:

Mildred Studebaker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree 100%!
When I got my Provari, Provape recommended the Zen Atty Pro so I ordered one, for a whopping $140!
Thought wow, this has to be a great Genny made special just for the Provari..
It came prebuilt with a delicate ceramic wick wrapped in 32g Kanthel.
What a joke! It had hotspots on the coil and the legs just glowed red all by themselves...The ceramic wick broke off flush with the deck and I was pissed!
After watching that stupid video of Zen I went to a local vape shop that also sold the Z-Atty Pro as they were a Provape vendor...
They pulled out that little insulator and rolled a ss mesh wick after oxidizing it with a torch. He also wrapped a 26 guage Kanthel coil for it..
It was better than the way Provape set it up but for a $140 I expected a lot more top-end performance, and the damn thing leaked juice big time if I laid it on its side...total waste of $140+ shipping.. I call it part of my learning curve..sorta expensive way to learn but what the hell..won't believe anything from Provape ever again..thx for reading my rant...lol

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Well, after several attempts to get it vaping right I've pretty much given up. I have to think the original price tag of $180 was representative of Mr. Zen's ego. It was certainly no indicator of the quality of this genny. I tried building it with 26 kanthal at .8 ohm, and that didn't vape for shit, then I tried it with 24 kanthal at .7 ohm, and not a bit better. I have to conclude that there is no way to get this thing vaping in any kind of acceptable way. Chalk it up to experience. Now I know. Yes, it's machined from high quality material, but that doesn't mean it was at all designed well.

To my mind the problem with this particular genny is poor design, in that it has far too much distance between the negative and positive legs of the coil, and far too big a chamber. You really have to stretch things for a normal coil to work on this genny, and the chamber does not support what that coil can produce. It would appear to be the short-sighted and single-minded product of someone fixated on his limited knowledge of vaping who has invested his ego in that.

So far nothing I have vapes better than the DID and the Origenny, though my Tobeco clone of the Origenny leaks a lot, which I don't care for at all. I might not have the experience of some here, but so far nothing I have vapes beter than the DID.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes you are. Anyone with a brain knows better than put their real identity on the internet, idiot. I'm certainly not a dude and don't care to be addressed as such. Nor do I care to hear from you again. <ig>
So I'm magically supposed to know your gender? I compliment your post and ask for pics of your new gear and you get butthurt about the word dude? You referred to me as he. You don't know my gender. Go fuck yourself you hypocritical idiot.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Zen products are very sub-par in proportion to the price, and especially in regards to products out there that are much higher quality and far better designed at a fraction of the cost.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
True. Zen really priced himself out of mainstream vaping with his Zenisis II tube mods and the ZNA. While the ZNA is a beautiful design, It wasn't worth the $250-300 asked for it. I have a ZNA 1:1 clone in 316 stainless that is great, bought it new for $65. Zen gambled that the Genesis market would continue with the Z atty, selling a Genny for $160+. I have a Kracken clone that I paid $25 which is more versatile then the Z Atty. Even new Genny's that were selling for $100 plus are being closed out now. While I love the vape of a properly set up Genny with SS cable with a wrap of 400 SS mesh, I can get flavors just as crisp with the builds I do on my Subtank RBA decks.

VU Sponsors