Become a Patron!

Good starter RDA for Kanger subox mini

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've been looking into an rba for my subox and haven't seen that many examples. The best I've seen so far has been a royal hunter mini, but I dunno about the details. Would a 24g dual coil build go too low for the mod? I've done a 6-7 wrap single build that bottomed out at 0.4 ohms. If I do that twice would it stay there or would the resistance increase? I'm leaning towards an increase, but that just seems too simple.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What RDA you'll buy or already have, doesn't matter. You need to know the specifications of your device. Depending on those, you build your coil(s) accordingly.
You can use http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp as a guideline for building your coil(s). Hint: Click on the "How it works" in the bottom left.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moving to rebuildables...

Just asking "what RDA should I get" is going to invite responses from people who'll tell you what they like - better is to do a little research on your own about what you think you'd like then maybe ask specific questions.

Given what you've given us, the Royal Hunter should be fine, but you need to do a lot more reading before attempting to build - using two identical coils doesn't increase your resistance, it cuts it in half! And at 0.2 you're getting near the bottom end of what most people would consider safe, though at least you're doing it on a regulated mod. You won't get much out of it without the power cranked all the way up, though, and at that point expect it to be a battery killer.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The least we would need to know, flavor or clouds, lots of airflow or not, in order to give some "my favorite is". However, as @OBDave mentioned, you'll get many suggestions for this kind of question.
So, let's get started. I own the Royal Hunter myself (out of way over 40 RDAs), and I don't like it, due to it's excessive leaking through the airflow holes.

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The least we would need to know, flavor or clouds, lots of airflow or not, in order to give some "my favorite is". However, as @OBDave mentioned, you'll get many suggestions for this kind of question.
So, let's get started. I own the Royal Hunter myself (out of way over 40 RDAs), and I don't like it, due to it's excessive leaking through the airflow holes.
I'm considering flavor more than clouds. I've noticed some rdas can operate single coil and some are only dual. My local shop has tugboats clones for $15, but I'm not finding much info that actually helps on those.

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Moving to rebuildables...

Just asking "what RDA should I get" is going to invite responses from people who'll tell you what they like - better is to do a little research on your own about what you think you'd like then maybe ask specific questions.

Given what you've given us, the Royal Hunter should be fine, but you need to do a lot more reading before attempting to build - using two identical coils doesn't increase your resistance, it cuts it in half! And at 0.2 you're getting near the bottom end of what most people would consider safe, though at least you're doing it on a regulated mod. You won't get much out of it without the power cranked all the way up, though, and at that point expect it to be a battery killer.
I was actually wondering if the subox would be able to handle an rda considering its 0.3 ohm operating floor. Would a complete build between 0.3-0.5 even be worth the trouble? If not, I could always bump up to a better box. My wife's been getting interested and it would give me an excuse to go mod shopping again.

nophix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got a Mutation X on my Evic, running 60 watts at .47 on a dual coil. It's vaping awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got a Mutation X on my Evic, running 60 watts at .47 on a dual coil. It's vaping awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Since the subox tops out at 50 I guess shooting for 0.5-0.75 would be a fair range?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm considering flavor more than clouds. I've noticed some rdas can operate single coil and some are only dual. My local shop has tugboats clones for $15, but I'm not finding much info that actually helps on those.
The tugboat is a good flavor RDA. However, it's a dual coil only RDA.
Since the subox tops out at 50 I guess shooting for 0.5-0.75 would be a fair range?
Take a look at the following website. After selecting your mod it'll show you thoughts about coil resistance.
http://www.steam-engine.org/modrange.asp

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely appreciate the help. Research can only help so much without actually dialog.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was actually wondering if the subox would be able to handle an rda considering its 0.3 ohm operating floor. Would a complete build between 0.3-0.5 even be worth the trouble? If not, I could always bump up to a better box. My wife's been getting interested and it would give me an excuse to go mod shopping again.
When I first started building I stayed in the 1.0-1.2 range until I could build a halfway decent coil, then I spent a lot of time on single-battery mechs in the 0.6 range before dropping lower. So staying above 0.3 is certainly an option - I've got a pair of 2 mm ID Clapton coils @BUDKISS sent me right now that ohm out around 0.45 working great on my Sig 100 - though I'm running them around 65 watts, which is out of the Subox's reach. That's not to say there isn't a lot you can do with those 50 watts, however...a Mutation X seems to be a popular first choice - I have several in v2 and v3, they do well for both single and dual coils and work for flavor and clouds due to the large variety of airflow adjustment options.

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I first started building I stayed in the 1.0-1.2 range until I could build a halfway decent coil, then I spent a lot of time on single-battery mechs in the 0.6 range before dropping lower. So staying above 0.3 is certainly an option - I've got a pair of 2 mm ID Clapton coils @BUDKISS sent me right now that ohm out around 0.45 working great on my Sig 100 - though I'm running them around 65 watts, which is out of the Subox's reach. That's not to say there isn't a lot you can do with those 50 watts, however...a Mutation X seems to be a popular first choice - I have several in v2 and v3, they do well for both single and dual coils and work for flavor and clouds due to the large variety of airflow adjustment options.
I've been looking at the magma rda clone. My local has it for $10 to get rid of last year's stock. I don't want to throw too much money at it just to watch my mod fall on its face failing. Looks like it's a good flavor unit and relatively easy to build on. Watching rip trippers on YouTube it did well below 20 watts so I'm wouldn't be pushing it too hard if I went that route. I know I need to stock up on wire. My locals only sell 1.5-5 foot sections at a time.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get all my wire from Lightning Vapes - really quick free shipping and you can get a 25' spool for like $5 - I'd get some 28g and 26g to start with, you'll want the 28 to build higher-resistance coils.

The Magma was really popular in its day as a straight flavor build - easy to do duals, a little tricky but not impossible for a beginner to do duals with the two-post system.

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I get all my wire from Lightning Vapes - really quick free shipping and you can get a 25' spool for like $5 - I'd get some 28g and 26g to start with, you'll want the 28 to build higher-resistance coils.

The Magma was really popular in its day as a straight flavor build - easy to do duals, a little tricky but not impossible for a beginner to do duals with the two-post system.
Good to know. I looked it up on amazon and found spools of 50' for $4.50. However, they also had 100' spools for $4.85 so that's sorta weird. I have a couple feet of 24 gauge left so I was thinking about picking up some 26, 28, and 30 ($1.50 for 3 feet of each) before going bulk.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
$1.50 for 3' is highway robbery! Go for the 30 if you want, I have some but when wire gets that thin it gets really springy and hard to build with unless you have a torch to hit it with first...I'm saving mine for the if/when I decide to try Claptons or other exotic builds myself...24 and even 22 is what I build my basic macro contact coils out of, but it's a little heavy for trying to stay in the higher ohm range to limit battery draw.

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This shop is incredibly marked up. I got my subox kit from ecig and paid under $55 including 2 batteries and a bottle of juice. Just the subox kit alone was $90 at the shop. Eleaf 30s are going for $60 with ego 2 pack kits at $50.

I'll probably get the 30g to see how different that is from what I've used. I've been doing low voltage wiring for over a decade so torches are plentiful and shocks haven't been fun.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Since I just recieved my new Eleaf 100W and Kangertech Subohm mini, I have to say that Im quite impressed. Although Ive been vaping and building and exclusively using only RDA's, I thought perhaps just using an RTA would be a nice change of pace...i was right!..for the beginner I will highly recommend the Kangertech Subohm. Since you have the option of using the included Building deck(not found on the Aspire Atlantis..hmm..wonder why($$$$$$$)...this would be a definite go-to for the beginner....btw...cant put down this tank..enjoying it ;)

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
c7f9e9e565d51b83d1722fc6952f311f.jpg

Went with the mutation clone. I ordered the magma but it was stocked at the other shop and after 13 hours I didn't feel like driving another 30 minutes. Hits good. I have a 24g single coil, 8 wrap, reading at 0.8 ohms.

VU Sponsors