Become a Patron!

Going from 30w mod to 150 mod?

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm thinking of switching from my Dovpo E-LVT. Someone said its a 30w mod. I'm a newbie so this might be dumb. I have a kanger sub mini tank and it has good taste for 1st 3-4 hits then it taste burnt and warm not burnt coil taste just burnt juice. Someone said use a Hercules tank but I'll need bigger mod. So by changing to say segil 150 box mod I can get more watts idk but they said it would taste 10000 better. Please help. My Dovpo taste good when I fill it up and then again when I hit it later on but like I said only for next 3-4 hits then I have to let sit for 20 min or so but I like to hit my vape like 10-15 times!! Thanks in advance.

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm thinking of switching from my Dovpo E-LVT. Someone said its a 30w mod. I'm a newbie so this might be dumb. I have a kanger sub mini tank and it has good taste for 1st 3-4 hits then it taste burnt and warm not burnt coil taste just burnt juice. Someone said use a Hercules tank but I'll need bigger mod. So by changing to say segil 150 box mod I can get more watts idk but they said it would taste 10000 better. Please help. My Dovpo taste good when I fill it up and then again when I hit it later on but like I said only for next 3-4 hits then I have to let sit for 20 min or so but I like to hit my vape like 10-15 times!! Thanks in advance.
Do you know what you have for a coil in your tank? What's the resistance of the coil and what wattage are you vaping at?

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a .5 coil from vaporfi. I have it set at 22.5 w and 4.1 u. Hope that helps cause that's all foreign to me. I need to buy vaping for dummies if they have it. Lol. Thank you for helping me.

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did you prime the coil before you fired it? That's when you put some juice into the coil and saturate the wick.

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes I primed coil. I get a great flavor like the 1st 2 to 3 hits then it seems like the coil is too hot and had a not good taste. But if I let sit for 15 min or so and take another hit it's great again. But I like hitting it like 15-20 times then resting for 20 plus.

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't imagine the coil getting too hot at 22.5w though I don't know what that particular coil is rated for.

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It sounds like your wick isn't working properly and you're getting dry hits. How old is your coil and what are you using for juice?

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Coil is about week old and using Doused "the Drank" juice. Would that still give me good flavor every time I hit it for the first few hits anyway? I would just like a set up that gives me awesome flavor all the time. Also is there a book or website that can teach me about all this? Like vaping for Dummies? I want to thank you for helping me too. I'm a US Marine who stopped smoking because of vaping and now love it when I get a awesome flavor and don't wanna get upset cause I can't get this down and pick up a cig again. If I went with say a 150 mod that could run a different tank would that help me. Is the flavor really in the tank you use? Thanks again.

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depending on how much you vape, it maybe time for a new coil. I generally go through coils at the rate of 2/week, but I'm a chain vaper and I'm picky about flavor. I've tossed lots of coils that probably had a few more days of life in them because the flavor was starting to fade as the coil got gunked up. Another possibility is that you're simply hitting it too frequently and drying out the wicking material. I find I can generally get two pulls back-to-back without drying the wick, but after that it needs a good 20-30 seconds to fully re-wick or the taste is dry and burnt.

After having done my research, I think your problem is that the mod you've got may not push the coil as much as you want. First off, I'd get the real Kanger coils and not Vaporfi's version, just my 2 cents. Second, the Kanger 0.5-ohm coil is recommended for use between 15 and 60 watts. I would imagine the Vaporfi version is the same. At 22.5 watts, you're barely topping the bottom end of what is a pretty wide range for a coil. I don't have any Kanger subtanks so I can't speak to them specifically, but the crown I'm using right now has a recommended range of 30-120 watts, and I never go below 60.

Before you go out and drop fifty bucks or more for a new mod, try the Kanger 1.2-ohm coil in your subtank mini with the mod you've got now. It's rated for between 12 and 25 watts, so your mod (which does top out at 30 watts, btw) will have no problem pushing the coils as hard as you like. After proper wicking, start at 12 watts and work your way up to the temperature and flavor you like. Hope this helps. Good luck!

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This might not be the answer you are looking for, but it's, for me, the "wish I'd have known then what I know now"

I would just buy a cheap RDA and see if you like it. Will have to build coils and wick it yourself, but it is really easy. Better flavor than any tank I've had.

Only time you will get a dry hit is when you forget to drip enough.

After having issues with tanks leaking and dry-hitting, I really use RDA's 95% of the time. Only downside is they are not pocket friendly. But your tank shouldn't really go in your pocket either. Can bend/break your 510 connection and or leak in your pocket, not to mention accidentally fire or have a battery come out in your pocket.

RDA's seem like more work or a PITA, but I personally find the opposite true. And great flavor every hit, plus can be chain-vaped.

Plus, you save $5/ week in coilheads.

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you Juice loosener. That sounds about 100% what's going on with me. I will try that Kanger 1.2 coil. Man I'm super excited about trying this out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your response. Where can I read up on this and try to learn this? Thanks again.

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Drippers do have better flavor, but their portability is virtually nil. If you're only going to be vaping at home then they're great, but if you're taking your setup with you anywhere they just aren't practical, unless you work at a vape store.

Besides, if the OP is having trouble with finding the correct wattage for a coil, building maybe above his/her head at this point in time. No offense to either of you.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Drippers can be intimidating to a beginner. It took me 9 months and 3 set ups starting with a pen and ending with the ipv2d and Atlantis 2 tank to even consider it. Up until then I didn't see myself ever building coils. Im glad I started from the bottom of the vape barrel and worked up to a dripper.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Juice, No offense taken and I kinda figure I was giving the right answer to the wrong question. But wanted to share my experience and my take on it. And personally I think mass produced coilheads leave a lot to be desired and building an rda leaves nobody to blame but me.

Sigma, I started with drippers after about 2 months of vaping, but I am a tinkerer by nature. And have not looked back. Best thing I did, for me. Not for everybody.

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Coil is about week old and using Doused "the Drank" juice. Would that still give me good flavor every time I hit it for the first few hits anyway? I would just like a set up that gives me awesome flavor all the time. Also is there a book or website that can teach me about all this? Like vaping for Dummies? I want to thank you for helping me too. I'm a US Marine who stopped smoking because of vaping and now love it when I get a awesome flavor and don't wanna get upset cause I can't get this down and pick up a cig again. If I went with say a 150 mod that could run a different tank would that help me. Is the flavor really in the tank you use? Thanks again.
Thank you for your service. Hopefully you can figure it out.

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Juice, No offense taken and I kinda figure I was giving the right answer to the wrong question. But wanted to share my experience and my take on it. And personally I think mass produced coilheads leave a lot to be desired and building an rda leaves nobody to blame but me.

Sigma, I started with drippers after about 2 months of vaping, but I am a tinkerer by nature. And have not looked back. Best thing I did, for me. Not for everybody.
Agreed on all points. I've been off the stinkies for over 2 years using vaporizers and like Stigma I started with a pen and have gradually upgraded my setups, but I haven't made the jump to RDAs yet for a couple reasons. I've tried several and the flavor is definitely superior to mass-produced coils, it's just that damn repeated dripping part I can't figure out a way around. I'd like to get a good RDA deck to use at home, but the wife already complains about me "messing with that vapor crap" too much, and that's just for switching tanks, replacing coils, and refilling empties with juice. Never mind the fact that she's the one who bought me my first vape pen. Now I've got 3 sub-ohm-capable mods, 7 sub-ohm tanks, and a shoebox full of new coils just waiting to be popped through their foil (or removed from their case for my Crown). I don't even want to think about how many regular mods, tanks, and high-nic juice bottles I have just taking up space in my closet. Someday soon I'm going to admit that I'm done with anything that isn't sub-ohm and toss all those Protanks and T-Duxes. But I digress. If I started building and was constantly busting out a bottle of juice to drip on an RDA, I'm not sure it would be worth the hell I'd catch to even keep vaping. :blah: *the wife*

I really would love to get into building, not just for the flavor and to save money, but because I'm also a tinkerer and I'm sure I'd love the process. Instead, I've just made the rounds of tanks and coils and figured out how to get the best I can under the circumstances. It all really comes down to the coil, so here's my list of regularly-used models:

1. 0.25-ohm Crown dual coil
2. 0.4 Cleito clapton
3. 0.16 TFV4 octuple fused claptons
4. 0.15 Ni200 Crown TC
5. 0.3 Horizon Arctic V8 Snake
6. 0.5 Vaporesso ceramic in a Triton 2
6. 0.5 Crown dual
7. 0.2 TFV4 quadruple clapton
8. 0.5 Aspire claptons

I know that's probably more information than you were looking for, but I'm just burning time until 5:00 so I can go home. I do have a couple of questions for you. First, are there any RTAs that can compare to RDAs for a flavor-chaser like myself? Second, what are a few RDAs you would recommend, one pricey, one mid-range, and one economical? Is there a go-to brand that stands out above the rest? I might pick one up for those times when the wife isn't around to complain about me spending more time with my vaporizer than I do with her. :cuss2:

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you Juice loosener. That sounds about 100% what's going on with me. I will try that Kanger 1.2 coil. Man I'm super excited about trying this out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your response. Where can I read up on this and try to learn this? Thanks again.
Honestly, you're in a pretty good place to learn right here. The only problem is that there's so much information it can be a bit overwhelming, but it's a great place to get your questions answered. Try this for some basic run-downs on various types of vaping and gear: https://www.misthub.com/blogs/vape-tutorials

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey juice I got the kanger 1.2 coil and WOW!! I think that did it. Flavor has been awesome and I'm chain vaping ! See this is what gets me frustrated, the fact that I didn't know how to fix it. Is there a guide out there or what my best option for learning this stuff. I can't thank you all enough. I think this set up should do me until I can read and teach myself about this stuff then I can go up to 150 then who knows maybe temp controlled. I'm glad I found this forum and can't thank you all enough. What are some juice brands I can do that are sweet like the Doused "the Drank" and vapor fi grand reserve "cloud candy" the sweeter the better.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Juice, sent PM so we are not hijacking this thread too much. Short answer for you listening at home: Aeolus for flavor and Double Vision for an all around everyday (for me at the moment).

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey juice I got the kanger 1.2 coil and WOW!! I think that did it. Flavor has been awesome and I'm chain vaping ! See this is what gets me frustrated, the fact that I didn't know how to fix it. Is there a guide out there or what my best option for learning this stuff. I can't thank you all enough. I think this set up should do me until I can read and teach myself about this stuff then I can go up to 150 then who knows maybe temp controlled. I'm glad I found this forum and can't thank you all enough. What are some juice brands I can do that are sweet like the Doused "the Drank" and vapor fi grand reserve "cloud candy" the sweeter the better.
Glad to hear it worked for you! After doing a little research, I figured just upping the resistance of your coil would solve your problem.

There are a million different answers to the question you asked about juices, at least until the FDA steps in and puts them all out of business and we're stuck buying juices from Philip Morris and RJ Reynolds. I haven't tried either of the two flavors you mentioned, but Pinup Vapor is my personal favorite line for sweet candy/fruit juices. Betty and their new flavor Rita are both 75% VG (vegetable glycerin) and 25% PG (propylene glycol) and taste fantastic if you like a sweet vape. Lana is also very good, but it's 95% VG (read: extra thick and made for drippers) so you'll have to allow a little more time between draws for wicking, but it's worth it. The only potential problem is that they don't make high-nicotine juices, so depending on where you're at right now they may not be strong enough for you. That said, when you're sub-ohming, you don't really want to go above 6mg because the throat hit becomes unbearable and the nicotine overwhelms the flavor of the juice. At 1.2 ohms, you're just above technically sub ohm vaping, but it's close enough that I personally wouldn't want to run anything above a 6mg juice. That said, you can get them in 12mg strength here if you're like me and you started at a high nicotine level when first getting into vaping. I went from 24 to 18 to a little bit of 12, then moved to sub-ohm vaping and dropped immediately to 6mgs because I couldn't handle the nicotine with clouds that thick. Definitely give Betty a try, unless you're at 24mgs and 12 just won't cut it for you yet. If that's the case, don't forget about her when you get that 150-200 watt mod and some true sub ohm coils (sub ohm meaning below 1.0 ohms of resistance). You can thank me later. :hug:

If you're looking for a bit more muted sweetness that's every bit as good, just not quite so in-your-face, you can't go wrong with Teleos. They're more the cereal/dessert kind of sweet. The Crunch is a good mimic of Crunch Berries and The Milk II is a dead ringer for Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Delta is probably their sweetest juice, at least from my experience and what I've read. It's a blueberry cobbler flavor (although I don't get much cobbler from it, just strong blueberries).

As to your question about a guide, check out this link from Misthub (same one as above). I learned a lot from reading their tutorials on the various kinds of vaping when I was first starting out. They do a good job of breaking it down into layman's terms instead of giving you the electrical engineering professor's take on the subject.

Finally, one word of advice. If you're going to get a 150-200 watt mod, get one with temp control. Most of them come that way now anyway, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. Just buy a TC coil for your tank, then start at a low temp and work your way up to where you like the flavor/clouds. It's no more difficult than variable voltage/wattage. Again, I hope this helps and best of luck to you!:luck:

Last edited:

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you. I'm so glad I found this fourm. You guys are awesome. I'll have to try some of them flavors. I checked that guide it's got tons of info. The way my flavor is now I'm pretty content with it and I think I'll wait to get me a bigger mod! That being said mine is a 30 w so will me going to bigger like 150-200 allow me to get tanks like Hercules and perhaps get better flavor and with me getting one that has temp control. ? Just wanted to say thank you again.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One thing to consider with higher wattage is if you get a tank with coils capable of handling higher power, your juice consumption will skyrocket. And will likely need to go down in nic strength. Lowering the nic in your juice will inherently improve flavor, and more wattage=morevapor=more flavor(in theory), but unless you diy juice, your juice bill will go up drastically.

For example:
Started with ego type device. Used maybe 10 ml/week 14mg (like 8 watts)

Moved up to subtank at about 30 watts. Used about 30+ ml/ week 8mg

Now just drip mostly and use dual coil rta's. Using about 70-80 ml/ week 5mg (50-100 watts)

Last edited:

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok I'm willing to go down in nic for better flavor. Just started vaping to stop cigs now I love it. I'm at 6 on nic level and now that I got my taste kinda dialed in I won't have any problems quitting cross my fingers lol. Does this forum have a for sale topic? I saw the PIF and saw members giving away stuff to others that I think is awesome!! Again I'm so glad I found this forum and want to thank everyone who helped me. Hope to be long time member. I'm from Ohio (Columbus) hope to meet some of you all and make new friends cause the ones I have now don't vape and I think it would be awesome to have a buddy who knows his/her way around vaping !!

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you. I'm so glad I found this fourm. You guys are awesome. I'll have to try some of them flavors. I checked that guide it's got tons of info. The way my flavor is now I'm pretty content with it and I think I'll wait to get me a bigger mod! That being said mine is a 30 w so will me going to bigger like 150-200 allow me to get tanks like Hercules and perhaps get better flavor and with me getting one that has temp control. ? Just wanted to say thank you again.
I get pretty good flavor out of my Sigelei Mini 30-watt and a Vaporesso 0.9- or 0.5-ohm coil in my Triton 2. The Aspire 0.4s aren't too bad, either. That said, the best flavor tank I've got is the Uwell Crown. Although you'll get some argument, if you check around it's pretty much the consensus best tank of the top fills. Some people prefer the TFV4, but it's for cloud chasers. I'm all about flavor and I'm married so I could care less about looking like one of Metallica's smoke machines. The quad and octuple claptons for the TFV4 put out some pretty good flavor, but the other coils left me sorely disappointed. Short answer long, I'd have to say yes, more power equals better flavor, but it's not like you can't get some really good flavor out of a 30-watt mod. It's all about the tanks and coils.

And the answer to your second question is, yes, getting a high-powered mod will open up more choices for you in tanks like the Herekles, TFV4, Crown, Arctic V8, and building your own setups if you're into that. Those tanks have low-resistance coils that require anywhere from 40-120 watts to get them to really kick. That said, I mostly oscillate between my Crown and the Aspire Cleito. I never run my Crown above 70 watts and my Cleito above 50. The only time I've ever topped 100 watts is with the quad and octuple clapton coils for the TFV4. Anything else at that output and you're looking at some burnt lips from the heat it'll throw at you. Just something to consider. Oh, and you should definitely get a mod with temperature control. I don't use it that often, but the Crown TC coils are great and I've heard good things about Uwell's Rafale, as well. It's not the game-changer that it was touted to be when it first came out. Sure, it'll save you a little bit of juice, and it's nifty watching it bump up against 500 degrees and pull back, but 80%-90% of the time I use my XCube 2 in variable wattage mode. Thing is, most of the high-powered mods are coming with it these days so you'd probably be hard-pressed to actually find something you like without it.

Oh, one final tip. Check vapingcheap.com every once in a while and you'll catch some killer deals. If you pick out 2 or 3 newly released mods you really want now, I'd bet that if you have the patience to wait a month or two you'll see a link to where to buy it on their site for fifty bucks or less, unless it uses a DNA200 chip (some supposedly extremely accurate TC chip that magically makes mods worth $200). You may have to wait three weeks for it to get to the states from China, but you can't beat the prices, and not all of their posted sales are from Fasttech.com or other Chinese vendors. Many of them are US vendors, or he'll list offerings from both countries. Happy hunting!

drew83

Member For 4 Years
For what it is worth...

I have an eleaf istick 40w temp control. I had the gs tank that came with it for a while. Needed more juice capacity so moved to the ego one mega. Long story short, tank got jammed, stripped threads sorting it, had to get a new tank.

Now on the innokin isub g. I run that at around 23-24.5w on the 0.5 coils or around 460-500F with 0.2 ni200 coils.

Had a few issues with some dud coils ruining my experience. But a fresh batch and i am loving life!

The mains things I learnt, when looking to buy a new tank just take a peek at the juice holes in the coil.

The smaller they are the more they will struggle with vg heavy juice.

Also, dark coloured juices or very sweet/candy juices can cause the coils to gunk up a lot quicker.

That's not to say don't vape them, but again the more you know and all that.

I have been off cigs since october. All "self" taught from reading tips online, watching YouTube vids etc.

My local shop is pretty useless when it comes to advice and help and no mates vape so i had to learn the hard way.

To an extent, once you find the set up that works for you don't change it. The old "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Shiny new mods and tanks are great and they always push the "next big thing" but some times if what you have works the why worry?

As for the "dummies guide" places like this are great for getting real life experience and knowledge.

If you get an issue, want some advice or just wanna ask opinions on mods and tanks, start a post and see what you get.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Drew83 thanks bud I'm in the same boat. I didn't know about the dark juice clogging the holes. I feel like that was happening to me. I had to drip some juice down the middle to re wet it. Like I was dripping!! Crazy. My B&M shop is just like yours lol. Thanks again for the reply.

drew83

Member For 4 Years
Being from UK, i see loads of you U.S guys talking b&m shops. What are they?

We have a chain of stores here called b&m bargains and they stock everything from pet food to wall pictures to bedding and curtains to tools.

Is it the same thing?

No worries. Yeah being a newbie chucked into a big world is a bit daunting!

Best thing you can do is ask. There is no such thing as a daft/stupid question. Some people on here can be rude but in the main i have had a lot of help and read a lot of really helpful posts.

One thing to be careful of is putting juice down the centre. If you aren't careful you can get the dreaded spit back. Where as you inhale, you get drops of hot ejuice in your mouth or on your lips. It tastes nasty, can burn/hurt and ruin your tastebuds for a bit.

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Being from UK, i see loads of you U.S guys talking b&m shops. What are they?

We have a chain of stores here called b&m bargains and they stock everything from pet food to wall pictures to bedding and curtains to tools.

Is it the same thing?

No worries. Yeah being a newbie chucked into a big world is a bit daunting!

Best thing you can do is ask. There is no such thing as a daft/stupid question. Some people on here can be rude but in the main i have had a lot of help and read a lot of really helpful posts.

One thing to be careful of is putting juice down the centre. If you aren't careful you can get the dreaded spit back. Where as you inhale, you get drops of hot ejuice in your mouth or on your lips. It tastes nasty, can burn/hurt and ruin your tastebuds for a bit.

B&M here in the states everyone talks about just stands for brick and morter it's just a way of saying it's a actual store that you can walk in to and shop , most of us buy things online the majority of the time but the B&M stores support the community and most times are the way a lot of people get introduced to vaping and the juices and equipment .

On a side note I used kanger tanks for over a year and same as you I was always having issues with burnt tastes and coils not wicking correctly , one thing I did was dial down my diy and use 70/30 or 60/40 juice , that by itself gave me a extra week or so on my coils and for me gave me a bit more flavor . I have also used the ni200 coils in my subtanks here lately and they make a world of differance with the tank . You will just have to have a tc mod to make them work correctly as you cannot use these coils with regular wattage mode .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yea I've noticed my kanger sub mini is not wicking right. I think my juice "the Drank" is way to thick. I find myself having to unscrew the tank and drip some juice down the center like I'm priming a new coil. Will I have to do that from now on or will that change once I put in new coil? I'm vaping at 13w. I can't wait till I get my rx200. I just ordered last night. Starting to understand a little but I have a way to go!! Thanks for all the help,replies and support.

VU Sponsors