Become a Patron!

Glass Syringes - your friend for high volume mixing

chrisf8657

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For those that are finding their costs of mixing high with the cost of syringes,
you might want to think of reusable glass syringes for your kit.

I've went that way and have been very happy - I keep a 10mL and 1mL syringe for my use, as I only mix 30mL bottles at a time. But they are available from 1mL to 100+mL.

Keep in mind these are about $10-15 a shot, but you are getting something you can reuse indefinitely. You will also need 12 or 14g blunt tip needles.

I personally didn't like the idea of constantly spending money on plastic syringes that had the markings wear off or disintegrate or break.

The best brand I have found is Fortuna. They are borosilicate, have a visible red marking on the plunger so you can see where you are. You can find these on eBay and from some supply houses.
Be weary of the cheap 99c ones you find on eBay - the plungers are rough ground, you cannot easily see where the volume is and the accuracy is over +/- 5%.

They are easy to clean (rinse of water and a dry) and last forever.

The only downside to glass syringes is that they do not hold a vacuum like a plastic syringe, so you must hold the plunger when withdrawing from the liquid or it will "self-expel" from the weight of the plunger. Not a big deal at all, and with some liquids like VG, doesn't happen.

Just a FYI!

Last edited:

CJ

VU Webmaster
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Happen to have any links to any good deals on these? I've heard great things about glass syringes!

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For those that are finding their costs of mixing high with the cost of syringes,
you might want to think of reusable glass syringes for your kit.....Keep in mind these are about $10-15 a shot, but you are getting something you can reuse indefinitely. You will also need 12 or 14g blunt tip needles.

100 count box of 3ml syringes on amazon = $9
50 count pack of 18ga 1.5" needles on amazon = $13.00

unless your trashing them after one use, they will last years for the cost of 2 glass syringes.
18ga is a bit small to suck up VG, but there are plenty of other sizes available for +/-$1

Last edited:

chrisf8657

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Zaroba,
It's up to the mixer what to use.
Eventually you'll have to pay again for them vs buying once.

Another perk for those who are environmentally conscious is that you don't put more plastic into the landfill.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 on Verizon using Tapatalk

chrisf8657

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Happen to have any links to any good deals on these? I've heard great things about glass syringes!
Unfortunately I don't. I'd price compare the Fortuna at different sites.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

both ebay and amazon, CJ :p

I have my eye on a few.. just haven't made my mind up what I would like..
I do keep bunches of the plastics.. but it'd be nice to have a glass set too.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm considering getting a few glass syringes. Meanwhile, I use a thin coat of clear nail polish over the markings.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
i am too scared to think on nail polish or tape (the glue) down in my flavors..
if ripe banana and other stronger flavors can do their funky things with syringes...
rather just toss when unusable.. plastic is so cheap.. why do all that?

I have been saving up all my old ones..
when i get a stock pile..
i plan on turning them into blobs of plastic and making key chains or something..

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
i am too scared to think on nail polish or tape (the glue) down in my flavors..
if ripe banana and other stronger flavors can do their funky things with syringes...
rather just toss when unusable.. plastic is so cheap.. why do all that?

I have been saving up all my old ones..
when i get a stock pile..
i plan on turning them into blobs of plastic and making key chains or something..
I don't dip the syringe into the liquid, just the needle. Therefore, the only liquid touching the markings is coming of my fingers/hands, which is not enough to drip back into the liquids. However, enough to spoil the markings.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Zaroba,
It's up to the mixer what to use.
Eventually you'll have to pay again for them vs buying once.

Another perk for those who are environmentally conscious is that you don't put more plastic into the landfill.

Recycling :p
Plus, what about breaking glass syringes? They aren't necessarily buy only once.
Wasn't really trying to argue or anything like that, just mentioning other options that can save money as well.

I mean, often times, a lot of money can be saved if you buy something from a place that *doesn't* specifically cater to the field that your using the item for. ie, buying syringes from a vape DIY place (ie, wizard labs @ $0.50 each) vs buying in bulk from a place selling them for scientific and lab purposes (amazon for $0.09 per syringe). It's a pretty common practice among reptile hobbyists since it can get pretty expensive, much like vaping, so we look for ways to save money. Such as buying the exact same items sold in a petshop for as little as 1/3rd the price from hardware stores or department stores, or we DIY. Get used to that mentality and end up using it everywhere to save money and avoid getting ripped off by retail shops. Sometimes the exact same items in a store like walmart will be more expensive in one department then another. While back I wanted velcro cable ties, went to walmart. Something like $5 for a pack of 10 in the electronics department. Same item was sold in the hardware section in a roll of 100 for the same price. The first ones simply cost more since they were being advertised as being for computers and unaware people would buy them because of that.

ehh, sorry, I got a bit carried away in my little rant about avoiding ripoffs.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Recycling
Plus, what about breaking glass syringes? They aren't necessarily buy only once.
Wasn't really trying to argue or anything like that, just mentioning other options that can save money as well.

I mean, often times, a lot of money can be saved if you buy something from a place that *doesn't* specifically cater to the field that your using the item for. ie, buying syringes from a vape DIY place (ie, wizard labs @ $0.50 each) vs buying in bulk from a place selling them for scientific and lab purposes (amazon for $0.09 per syringe). It's a pretty common practice among reptile hobbyists since it can get pretty expensive, much like vaping, so we look for ways to save money. Such as buying the exact same items sold in a petshop for as little as 1/3rd the price from hardware stores or department stores, or we DIY. Get used to that mentality and end up using it everywhere to save money and avoid getting ripped off by retail shops. Sometimes the exact same items in a store like walmart will be more expensive in one department then another. While back I wanted velcro cable ties, went to walmart. Something like $5 for a pack of 10 in the electronics department. Same item was sold in the hardware section in a roll of 100 for the same price. The first ones simply cost more since they were being advertised as being for computers and unaware people would buy them because of that.

ehh, sorry, I got a bit carried away in my little rant about avoiding ripoffs.
Agree with you on Walmart. If you want even bigger savings at Walmart order online with pickup/ship to store. You will be surprised at the difference in prices.

angel breath

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
By far the best syringe if you want long lasting this is the way to go, I myself have 5 and only really use two just don't drop they are glass

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I much prefer glass syringes over plastic ones because they don't retain flavor/smell. I have some really strong flavorings and they'll ruin a plastic syringe - you can't get the smell out. Yes, I could keep one syringe for each of those flavors but I'm too lazy. I have several 100ml glass syrings and I love them. (I have a shop and mix in large quantities.)

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Over time, plastic is still cheaper than glass. Glass breaks. It wears and pits. It's not forever. Glass now-a-days is reserved for caustic chemical lab work. Acids. That sort of stuff.

It's probably cool to have but I see no advantage to using it for mixing.

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Certain flavors will ruin plastic syringes (TFA's 'ripe banana' immediately springs to mind but I'm sure there are others). Also, the measurements on plastic syringes tend to disappear rather quickly unless you cover them with tape or clear nail polish or something. And you can sterilize glass.

(In case you can't tell, I really like glass syringes. :) )

As to where to find them, ebay is probably the easiest.

VU Sponsors