Glass or Plastic

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know it's recommended to store our nic, PG, and VG in brown, blue, or green glass containers for extended storage. But would the same colors in plastic work?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I store my Nic in the bottles it came in, in my freezers.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any liquid I store long-term goes in a glass container. Glass is inert. Plastic isn't.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I've been doing, I just wondered if the colored glasses were better for some reason. The plastic jars in the same colors are much easier to come by as far as price. I do have a couple of small 120ml clear jars I use for my nic while mixing because the bottles they come in have openings that are too narrow for my syringes. I have the plastic pipettes, but the measurements are difficult to read (and my vision sucks). The openings on the clear jars are pretty wide and easier to work with.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're storing for any length of time, it's best to do it in glass. Nic can slowly dissolve plastic, and PG is a plasticizer.

In terms of color, amber is better at UV protection than cobalt, but if you're storing the bottles in a dark place, then it wouldn't really matter.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't mean to be daft, but could you explain "plasticizer"?

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Don't mean to be daft, but could you explain "plasticizer"?
Since daft is one of my favorite words, I'll gladly explain. Technically, I'd be hard pressed to explain it, but in basic terms, it slowly breaks down plastic and then can leach the chemicals from plastics.

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The color only serves to block light. I've read amber is supposed to block the most, then blue, then green, but I've had some pretty light colored amber bottles so YMMV.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Since daft is one of my favorite words, I'll gladly explain. Technically, I'd be hard pressed to explain it, but in basic terms, it slowly breaks down plastic and then can leach the chemicals from plastics.
I thought of you, RP, when I saw she wrote "daft". Then I saw you were the next reply...

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol! I have dear friends in England and one of them is always commenting "Don't be daft" or "Are you daft?" and it tickles me.... :)
I do all of my mixing in my tiny office, one narrow window, and I never open the blinds, so light probs isn't an issue after all. And thank you!

The color only serves to block light. I've read amber is supposed to block the most, then blue, then green, but I've had some pretty light colored amber bottles so YMMV.
YMMV? I'm confused. I have plastic amber bottles for some but my expensive liq. Are in amber glass. I deploy in a week so I've just been stocking up on what I can. Has anyone had problems with their Tesla vv/ vw acting funny? It's almost like mine has a short in the wiring.

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@patrick.keller4 I mean YMMV in regards to whether amber blocks light better than blue and green, in reference to the brief anecdotal evidence in my post... I forgot there were colored plastic bottles lol

I made a comment about color, ignoring material, even though that's what the OP is about. Don't worry I'm the crazy one.

Last edited:
@patrick.keller4 I mean YMMV in regards to whether amber blocks light better than blue and green, in reference to the brief anecdotal evidence in my post... I forgot there were colored plastic bottles lol

I made a comment about color, ignoring material, even though that's what the OP is about. Don't worry I'm the crazy one.
Haha, all good. Like I stated I'm half and half on glad and plastic bottles. In sorry term I've still not noticed a difference

VU Sponsors