Girlfriends mother is forcing her to break up with me

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been with this girl for a year and a half. It's been nothing but a great relationship. Her mother is forcing her to break up with me because the mother is batshit crazy. What are your thoughts?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been with this girl for a year and a half. It's been nothing but a great relationship. Her mother is forcing her to break up with me because the mother is batshit crazy. What are your thoughts?
Are you both over 18? If you are AND your girlfriend is actually gonna date and / or leave people based on her mom's input, you do NOT wanna get married to her anyways.. Many, many problems will be had down the road if your wife is not independent from her mother.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm with OBDave on this one..if she really cares about you and the relationship she wouldn't let her mother dictate her life in that way.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let her go, or you'll be dealing with BS for the rest of your relationship. If you just let her mother split you up, you will still be friends, you can still ask her out every once in a while, and she may end up saying to hell with her mother and come back to you. If you fight it, you will end up getting between her and mom, and they will both end up hating you.

I've seen this happen to people several times in my life, so its not as uncommon as you might think. The dudes that walk away always end up happier in the long run.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
makes me want to start up my advice column again......
in the meantime, here's a honey badger

honey_badger.gif

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If a girl is over 18 and will split up a "HAPPY" relationship because of her mother, run like hell. I'm not being mean, but if a girl is willing to go that far to please her mother, you'll never please that girl. Look at the bright side. Statistically 78% of girls cheat (compared to 64% of men and we are the dogs) so her mother may save you heart ache in the long run anyway. Also if sex is a large part of what you want to keep her, that goes down hill after time too. ;-)

Good luck bro. A broken heart will mend with time. I am sorry to he's you're having such a rough time. Relationship problems SUCK!!!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not touching this one with a 9 1/2" pole. Do what you know is right, not feel, but know.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Rule #1......when you are dating a girl....you are to a degree, dating her mum. You will be miserable in the long term if mum detests you. What you don't want to do is put the lass in a position where she is having to choose you over family. Fortunately, the woman factory has a high enough output that there is always plenty out there to choose from. This is my input as asked for.
As a minister I always tell people that love is in the heart, not the brain....when the brain starts making love decisions....ABANDON SHIP.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're 44 according to your profile, so how the hell is this even a thing?

Generally, at our age, parents don't dictate whom we date. If they do, run like hell. ;)

As said, the in-laws will ALWAYS be part of the picture whether you wish it or not....choose wisely.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Fully agree with the dating the mom to a degree part. A past experience from years ago screams, RUN. Like hell. Run. I'm close in age to you, according to what CaFF said. If my guy came home saying this to me, I'd bust out laughing, ask if he was serious, then tell him to go live with his mom instead. I dealt with this kind of crap in high school. Who has time for this as an adult? Not me.

Bplus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You're 44 according to your profile
Oh man so many details omitted. What'd you do?

In all seriousness, even if she's 24, run for the hills and thank something you believe in for getting out relatively easy. That mindset... The one that allows influence of parents on said situation, AND the mindset of a parent to think they have the right to control someone in said manner... Sprint for the fuckin door! Don't forget your batteries and kanthal either.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe her mom has the hots for you.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
When you date someone...there is a degree of implication that you will wed. This act brings someone into your family. If the family rejects this person, they remain an outsider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am not giving real advice. I hope that came through, but it is true.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When you date someone...there is a degree of implication that you will wed. This act brings someone into your family. If the family rejects this person, they remain an outsider.

Regardless of faith, this man speaks the truth. Yet, does it in a respectable manor, with the utmost feeling and compassion. This forum is truly blessed to have a man such as your self here.

L

Lighty269

Well! Well!

I was in a similar situation about 29 years ago, the mom & dad hated me. I was some rich kid who came into there daughter's life and was going to take her away. That is how they felt. At the time I was 30 and my wife was 26. Well after dating the daughter for 2 years, they still hated me. My wife did not listen to the parents and still married me. Today I have 4 children, 1 grandchild on the way and we are still married.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That if her mother is still dictating her life successfully that the "nothing but a great relationship" may be more your viewpoint than hers. You may look back on it in time as a blessing.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Well! Well!

I was in a similar situation about 29 years ago, the mom & dad hated me. I was some rich kid who came into there daughter's life and was going to take her away. That is how they felt. At the time I was 30 and my wife was 26. Well after dating the daughter for 2 years, they still hated me. My wife did not listen to the parents and still married me. Today I have 4 children, 1 grandchild on the way and we are still married.
Awesome! What a blessing!

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
with a girl for a year and a half and mom suddenly decides she doesnt like you? feel like part of the story is missing here lol but im not asking
The mother has head problems and tends to bow things out of proportions. Accused uncle of being a pedophile on the fact he got up in the middle of the night to take a piss and she thought he was molesting her child.
with a girl for a year and a half and mom suddenly decides she doesnt like you? feel like part of the story is missing here lol but im not asking

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The mother has head problems and tends to bow things out of proportions. Accused uncle of being a pedophile on the fact he got up in the middle of the night to take a piss and she thought he was molesting her child.
I will pray for her.

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh yea. We're also twenty. Don't know why my profile has the wrong date. She has to live with her mother because of school and I wouldn't put it past her mother to kick her out over it. I left on the airplane and we were both crying and six hours later she calls and breaks up with me in tears. The woman is a manipulative bitch. Sorry but I gotta vent. Ruins my holiday, my families holiday, and my girlfriends holiday.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I just did....but not for your sake, but hers. It is my hope and intention, that with a greater softness of heart, she may see you and others in a different and loving light...and through Grace, be free of the prison that entraps her soul.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
LDR are tough enough without that added.
Sorry the holidays suck for you and hope things get sorted.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're 44 according to your profile, so how the hell is this even a thing?

Generally, at our age, parents don't dictate whom we date. If they do, run like hell. ;)

As said, the in-laws will ALWAYS be part of the picture whether you wish it or not....choose wisely.
LOL, true dat!!!:D

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yea. We're also twenty. Don't know why my profile has the wrong date. She has to live with her mother because of school and I wouldn't put it past her mother to kick her out over it. I left on the airplane and we were both crying and six hours later she calls and breaks up with me in tears. The woman is a manipulative bitch. Sorry but I gotta vent. Ruins my holiday, my families holiday, and my girlfriends holiday.
Sorry, but just put it behind you as quick as you can...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, @Surgikill, I am truly sorry that you hurt. Just a tad younger than you are right now, I went through similar. Somehow out of nowhere we were given their "blessing" to continue our relationship, such bullshit. It died shortly after - all that turmoil caused for nothing, more hurt caused for nothing. There was no trust anymore. It was for the best, I can easily say that now. Time really does heal, it's the time part of the process that sucks, sometimes.

You really will be ok, even though it may not feel like it. Best wishes to you.

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The best part is the rest of the family hates her mom and loves me so I'm still friends with them.

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
She's twenty as well. It just pisses me off. I needed to vent.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The best part is the rest of the family hates her mom and loves me so I'm still friends with them.
The problem is not her mom.. the problem is letting her mom control her.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been with the one I refused to let go with a bat shit crazy mom for 12 years. The shit with their moms never ends. Only thing is the rest of my old lady's family is a fucking Jerry Springer show, no joke. I still question my reasons for dealing with all the crap sometimes. You do not want to be doing that at 32, trust me on that.

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The problem is not her mom.. the problem is letting her mom control her.
Yea she doesn't seem to get that fact. I guarantee I'll be getting a phone call in October with her wanting me back. We'll see. It's just a shitty thing to do with everything going on.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been with the one I refused to let go with a bat shit crazy mom for 12 years. The shit with their moms never ends. Only thing is the rest of my old lady's family is a fucking Jerry Springer show, no joke. I still question my reasons for dealing with all the crap sometimes. You do not want to be doing that at 32, trust me on that.
Or going on 50 :rolleyes:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea she doesn't seem to get that fact. I guarantee I'll be getting a phone call in October with her wanting me back. We'll see. It's just a shitty thing to do with everything going on.
I agree.. now wasnt the time.. But then, thats the MO of people who like to control others, so whatcha gonna do?

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just did....but not for your sake, but hers. It is my hope and intention, that with a greater softness of heart, she may see you and others in a different and loving light...and through Grace, be free of the prison that entraps her soul.

Beautifully put

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I tend to say exactly what I think, so if you might be offended don't read anymore of my post.

If this girl is so easily manipulated by her mother, she has a REAL problem. I was married to someone once, LONG ago, that was truly a manipulative socio path. She didn't get it from someplace strange. Her mother was off too. Not to the degree of her, but still had problems.

If you stay with this girl, in all likelihood, she will be as bad or worse than her own mother. You want to marry a version of her momma that is the same or worse? There is a reason for that old "look at their mother if you want to see what she's like in 10 years". Because that is pretty true.

Magnify that by a decade of marriage and then you begin to involve children in the mix. Want to curse your future children with her mother's issues? It's a vicious cycle that only YOU can control. As an adult she apparently can't see how bad this is, or she would escape it. She is dooming herself. You want to be chained to that too?

Do some soul searching. At your age, it SEEMS like this is the most important thing in the world. It's not though.

Do yourself a favor, and take a year away from all the crap. Meet new people. Enjoy the company of other people. Put this behind you. If not, I can tell you this just will not end well. It never does.

Good luck.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I tend to say exactly what I think, so if you might be offended don't read anymore of my post.

If this girl is so easily manipulated by her mother, she has a REAL problem. I was married to someone once, LONG ago, that was truly a manipulative socio path. She didn't get it from someplace strange. Her mother was off too. Not to the degree of her, but still had problems.

If you stay with this girl, in all likelihood, she will be as bad or worse than her own mother. You want to marry a version of her momma that is the same or worse? There is a reason for that old "look at their mother if you want to see what she's like in 10 years". Because that is pretty true.

Magnify that by a decade of marriage and then you begin to involve children in the mix. Want to curse your future children with her mother's issues? It's a vicious cycle that only YOU can control. As an adult she apparently can't see how bad this is, or she would escape it. She is dooming herself. You want to be chained to that too?

Do some soul searching. At your age, it SEEMS like this is the most important thing in the world. It's not though.

Do yourself a favor, and take a year away from all the crap. Meet new people. Enjoy the company of other people. Put this behind you. If not, I can tell you this just will not end well. It never does.

Good luck.
This

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
makes me want to start up my advice column again......
in the meantime, here's a honey badger

honey_badger.gif
He exudes that "I dont give a shit, I just take what I want"

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Awe hell, we know Honey Badger don't give a shit. A Cobra can't stop him!

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah its like your dating the mother too just get out of it.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Sometimes our agendas get derailed by what we perceive to be injustice. I do not know the mum, but what I DO know is that mental illness brings about irrational behaviour. I do not judge people, and never will....instead i try to understand that mental illness, and sometimes just lack of reason can be born out of life's traumas. It sounds like I'm making excuses for the mother...but it is worth considering that she just might be overcompensating....or projecting such traumas from her own life's mistakes, or those injustices that were visited upon her by others. If this is truly the case, then how tragic and possibly terrifying it must be to live in such an emotional/spiritual prison! At these times....and I am speaking to the daughter and the suitor....we need to at least TRY to understand, rather than so readily condemn.

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Good luck.
Are you my dad? You sound like my dad.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Are you my dad? You sound like my dad.
Dad's have a lifetime of experience to impart to our kids....it is our job. Dad's need to be listened to...and they have the wisdom of knowing that you might just disregard everything we say....but do us the honour....and I emphatically mean..HONOUR...to give a wee listen.

VU Sponsors