Become a Patron!

Getting back into making coils...

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's been a long time since I've wrapped a coil. In fact last time I did, kanthal was the only option and you were getting fancy by wrapping a parallel or twisting it, so yeah it's been a long time. Traditional RDA's are too messy while driving. I have many and tried it. It sucks ass. Looking into getting an RTA. I'm pretty much sold on the Modfather and the Limitless Plus, but I can't have leaking and I've heard the Limitless leaks. I also need large juice capacity... I'm a heavy vaper and have about one opportunity in an 11 hour shift to refill.

So please give me advice on new wires to try, RTA's that won't leak and builds that will give me flavor. Since I'm limited on space, I'm wondering if premade coils would be better so I don't have to carry all my old coil making crap with me.

I've been vaping for 5 years but have been lazy and taking the simple route with sub ohm tanks, but where's the fun and creativity in that.

I'll be using these on either an Reuleaux RX200S and 2/3, IPV 5 and 6X or a Triade that I plan to order soon. Im not opposed to ordering more than one kind just so I have options. The build deck on the TFV8 seems ok, but it takes up so much space and I need that juice to get me through a day so I haven't tried it. LOL

So advise away, but please don't link me to videos. Those drive me nuts and I trust you guys more.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh man.... Here we go....
View attachment 67173

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Yeah I kind of figured it could be starting shit, but I'm curious what everyone has to say. I read through the Modfather thread and I'm pretty much sold on that one, but kind of want to order a couple. Plus I have no clue on these new wire types. LOL That's why I tried to narrow it down to large capacity, no leaks and good flavor.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Limitless Plus, the Classic, as well as the Combo, none of them have leaked.
I've ordered the Modfather but can't provide info until it arrives.
I haven't had any issues with the Ohmega Beast or Alpha BFT.
Most of my coils are just claptons of one variation or another.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the Limitless Plus, the Classic, as well as the Combo, none of them have leaked.
I've ordered the Modfather but can't provide info until it arrives.
I haven't had any issues with the Ohmega Beast or Alpha BFT.
Most of my coils are just claptons of one variation or another.
Cool I'm going to try the Limitless and the Modfather then. Maybe a couple others.

What do you think of premade coils? I'm sure it costs more, but considering I have limited space is it worth it? If so, where's a good place to get them from?

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool I'm going to try the Limitless and the Modfather then. Maybe a couple others.
What do you think of premade coils? I'm sure it costs more, but considering I have limited space is it worth it? If so, where's a good place to get them from?
I've tried about 20 different premades, they all seem to be fairly the same.
I tend to like them spaced so I just adjust them and wick them.
Only using Cotton Bacon v2 and it has been treating me well.
So far only tried one pair of coils that were a bit higher in cost but I found nothing special about them to warrant the increased price.
Just required more power to fire them, that's about it.
Whether I buy the premade coils or wrap my own, for me they all are pretty close for flavor so I can't justify paying more.
I have some coming in pretty soon that are supposed to be better, we'll see how that turns out.
I'm looking forward to testing them.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It's been a long time since I've wrapped a coil. In fact last time I did, kanthal was the only option and you were getting fancy by wrapping a parallel or twisting it, so yeah it's been a long time. Traditional RDA's are too messy while driving. I have many and tried it. It sucks ass. Looking into getting an RTA. I'm pretty much sold on the Modfather and the Limitless Plus, but I can't have leaking and I've heard the Limitless leaks. I also need large juice capacity... I'm a heavy vaper and have about one opportunity in an 11 hour shift to refill.

So please give me advice on new wires to try, RTA's that won't leak and builds that will give me flavor. Since I'm limited on space, I'm wondering if premade coils would be better so I don't have to carry all my old coil making crap with me.

I've been vaping for 5 years but have been lazy and taking the simple route with sub ohm tanks, but where's the fun and creativity in that.

I'll be using these on either an Reuleaux RX200S and 2/3, IPV 5 and 6X or a Triade that I plan to order soon. Im not opposed to ordering more than one kind just so I have options. The build deck on the TFV8 seems ok, but it takes up so much space and I need that juice to get me through a day so I haven't tried it. LOL

So advise away, but please don't link me to videos. Those drive me nuts and I trust you guys more.

If refilling is a hassle during the day, you might want to look at squonking - all the flavor of dripping without the hassle

The atty options for squonking have seriously improved a lot the past year also

Just a thought....

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I kind of figured it could be starting shit, but I'm curious what everyone has to say. I read through the Modfather thread and I'm pretty much sold on that one, but kind of want to order a couple. Plus I have no clue on these new wire types. LOL That's why I tried to narrow it down to large capacity, no leaks and good flavor.
C360_2016-11-02-01-06-01-024.jpg

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FWIW, and i know you said no rda, but i think it is the way to go. For me anyway. Just need a rda with a wide bore tip so you can just drip down the tip. Quick squeeze every few hits. No need to remove top cap.

Tanks sound easier on paper. But there is always something. It leaks, or you don't have the wicking tuned in, or you drop it and break the glass, yada yada.

This is why I drip. Any problem can be easily fixed and basically nothing to go wrong. Unless you over or under drip.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FWIW, and i know you said no rda, but i think it is the way to go. For me anyway. Just need a rda with a wide bore tip so you can just drip down the tip. Quick squeeze every few hits. No need to remove top cap.

Tanks sound easier on paper. But there is always something. It leaks, or you don't have the wicking tuned in, or you drop it and break the glass, yada yada.

This is why I drip. Any problem can be easily fixed and basically nothing to go wrong. Unless you over or under drip.
I have a bunch of RDA's but it's just to messy while driving a big truck, plus it freaks people out when I'm driving with my elbows and dripping. They get freaked out enough just because I'm a woman.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Both of these sleep next to me on their sides.... No drops no leaks.....
85833167fd750d9f537997442f74c3b7.jpg

bcr500

Member For 3 Years
For premade coils look at advancedvapesuppy.com. They have a few nice options. You could also hit up raymo here or purecoils.com for a truly nice set of coils. I have used coils from all three and you can't go wrong with any of them.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a bunch of RDA's but it's just to messy while driving a big truck, plus it freaks people out when I'm driving with my elbows and dripping. They get freaked out enough just because I'm a woman.

With a wide bore, put the mod between your legs and drip down the hole with only one hand.

@MannyScoot i am happy you have good luck with those tanks. But, for me, if i had a problem with wick or coil, i would much rather fix it on an rda than a tank full of juice. Especially away from home.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

@advancedvapesupply
Advancedvapesupply.com he's here on the forum & their wires/premade coils are highly regarded. I ordered their stainless steel 316L Claptons in a roll & wrap them myself. I also have Geekvape wire mostly stainless steel now 316L, regular 28g, 26g, 24 & Geekvape Clapton wire on a roll.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@advancedvapesupply
Advancedvapesupply.com he's here on the forum & their wires/premade coils are highly regarded. I ordered their stainless steel 316L Claptons in a roll & wrap them myself. I also have Geekvape wire mostly stainless steel now 316L, regular 28g, 26g, 24 & Geekvape Clapton wire on a roll.
Thanks hearts! I am still here!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great choice for the Modfather, the Limitless... Meh I end up giving mine away. It's a Cloud Chasers rdta, way to much air and to little flavor for me. I got a Vgod Trick Tank Pro, much, much better.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
With a wide bore, put the mod between your legs and drip down the hole with only one hand.

@MannyScoot i am happy you have good luck with those tanks. But, for me, if i had a problem with wick or coil, i would much rather fix it on an rda than a tank full of juice. Especially away from home.

There are excellent options in RTA these days that allow you to pull the deck out without emptying the tank, ever.

Tanks have come a long way - about all I use at work and I do not have time to mess with them while on the job. Also do not have time to fiddle around, deal with leaks or breaks.

There are many great tank options that are super reliable with weekly maintenance...

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do those use a lot more power? I used to do just parallel wraps and I know those took more power than a standard coil and to be honest the vape wasn't that much better.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have you ever considered Squonking? I got a Kanger DripBox 160 and love it!
Ha I haven't tried it. I know I should but can't get past the name. Plus I already have so many boxes and tanks, RDA's and crap that I kind of hate the thought of starting down another road and increasing my wish list which already is up to about $700.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ha I haven't tried it. I know I should but can't get past the name. Plus I already have so many boxes and tanks, RDA's and crap that I kind of hate the thought of starting down another road and increasing my wish list which already is up to about $700.

But with squonking you can throw away your old wish list and start over on the old cash meter!

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But with squonking you can throw away your old wish list and start over on the old cash meter!
Like I was saying on another thread, I need to find a vape store named Walmart or Verizon so the hubs won't notice my vape mail. He just doesn't understand and gets sick of seeing vape stuff on the checking account.

VU Sponsors