Garden time is coming

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Link: Tell Congress to stop funding pharma crops

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you enjoy the Joyful Gardener Docuseries? Hopefully, you found it beneficial to your gardening journey.

We noticed, however, that you decided to not purchase either the Grow Your Own Vegetables Course and were just wondering why. Your insight helps us to continue to expand and improve this event and the course for you as well as other gardeners. Please take a few moments to quickly share any thoughts, ideas, or comments that you have about the event and course.

➡️ Access the Survey to Complete HERE

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Utilizing the Greenhouse: Starting Seeds for the Market Garden​

In this video join greenhouse manager at Conagree and Penn as she demonstrates greenhouse techniques for the propagation of rare and heirloom seeds.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How to Build a Garden Hot Bed​

Learn how to build a garden hot bed with industrial strength to extend the gardening season from eight months to a year or more.​

How to Build a Cold Frame Step by Step​

Cold frames can be used to start off seedlings earlier in spring, to carry on cropping vegetables well into winter, or to help harden off tender plants in early summer. Read on or watch our video to discover just how easy it is to make your own.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Winter Composting Solutions: Solar Composter DIY​

Use the power of the sun for a solar composter DIY project for winter composting solutions to keep your compost composting!​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Test your Herbal Savvy!​

Name That Herb! – Episode Two​

Hi friends! Today we are releasing another episode of our new YouTube series Name That Herb!
Here's how it works: I'll give you a series of clues about a specific medicinal plant, and your challenge is to guess which herb I'm describing. For this episode, I’ve chosen a medicinal powerhouse that doesn't get enough credit in the modern world of herbalism, but it is still an oldy and agoody! Can you Name That Herb? Here are your clues:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
“A friend's eye is a good mirror—trust your friends' opinions.”

In celebration of St. Patrick’s Day 🍀 this weekend, we decided what better way to start off an email than with a wise Irish proverb. And staying with the St. Patrick’s Day 🍀 theme, this week’s newsletter contains both a blog article and video about cover crops, specifically Crimson Clover 🍀 plus a St. Patrick’s Day 🍀 inspired cartoon.​
Thank you for joining us on this garden journey. Together, we'll nurture the beauty of your garden and the well-being of your body and mind. 🌻

Happy Gardening!

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Andean-Style Chuno Potato Preservation​

This unique method for freeze-drying potatoes — which includes a fun chuno potato-peeling dance — will help you prolong your potato harvest.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Elegant Potato Dishes​

Check this list of easy things to make with potatoes. We have many elegant potato dishes to take your potatoes from plain to flavorful with these comforting crowd-pleasing recipes.​

Heirloom Potato Varieties Make Great Baked Potatoes​

Members of the Solanaceae family, heirloom potato varieties are tasty in any recipe or as simple baked potatoes.​

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
From Organic Consumers:

Ban bee-killing neonic seed treatments!​

with a link to take action.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
From Organic Consumers:

We don't see even half as many bees as we did 20 years ago. I even plant certain things for them and set out sugar water. At this rate there will be far less food.
All these makers of these poisons and GMO's belong in prison IMHO

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We don't see even half as many bees as we did 20 years ago. I even plant certain things for them and set out sugar water. At this rate there will be far less food.
All these makers of these poisons and GMO's belong in prison IMHO

I agree, they belong in prison.

We live in such insane times, when it's out in the open that the poisoners and depopulators want to kill us all, but I wonder if insanity is endemic among humankind. We've always had wars, always had murder, rape, theft, lies, greed. Peacefulness and abundance are so beautiful, I just can't understand why people reject them. Some say fear is at the root of all our worst behaviors.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
From Organic Consumers:

Thanks Bliss! I signed and sent this to my so called representatives. Hopefully they listen as this is an ag district and there are lots of bee keepers here.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've always found the idea of any particular plant being automatically classified as a weed to be strange. I had a horticulture teacher who said that NO plant is a weed and EVERY plant is a weed, it all depends on location and intent. A daffodil growing in a rose garden is a weed just as much as bermuda grass or dandelions growing in the lawn are.

Curious about your take on that viewpoint based on your MG class.

Wish I could have been around for this conversation last night. I agree, weeds are plants, and what they do for or against you is a matter of your intention and perspective.. They can provide good, soft ground cover around your plants, or in the base of an outdoor potted plant. "Weeds" provide ornamental decoration, beautiful climbing vines, even food and medicinal herbs. Some of the little clovers and fragrant pink fuzzy balls that come in early spring where I am, or the rain lilies that pop up after a good rain, are beautiful, pleasing.

It's true that the unplanned interlopers can take nutrients from things you are growing intentionally, but that's why you have mulch, rocks and other kinds of mitigation against being overrun by undesired plants.

I've about discovered that even if I'm ever again in a house where I can have a garden, I won't want a master gardener class if they teach you to call a professional to get rid of wasps. I was so disappointed to read that, though I suspected it all along. Poisoning your environment poisons you.

I'll never need anything more than the Rodale volumes on organic gardening I inherited from my mom. I've used them, done it, grew loads of organic tomatoes, zucchini, onions, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro, four kinds of mint, thyme, sage, basil, rosemary, sorrel, gourds, Meyer lemons, lavender, lemon verbena. Altogether I counted 45 food and herb plants at the time, in addition to the pecan trees that were already there. Chile petin grows wild around here, and makes the best salsa, or you can dry them in the oven until they're crackly little pepper mummies, for a crushed pepper on steak or whatever else, but some people think those are weeds. Some think they're poison. I had to stand and eat them in front of my aunt's yard guy to convince him to leave them alone and stop pulling them. His eyes popped out, but he understood then and for always.

We are disconnected from nature, which goes into that cloud of sadness that hovers over us.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've about discovered that even if I'm ever again in a house where I can have a garden, I won't want a master gardener class if they teach you to call a professional to get rid of wasps. I was so disappointed to read that, though I suspected it all along. Poisoning your environment poisons you.
A yellow jacket nest can contain up to 15,000 individuals and most nests are underground. If someone is being attacked by yellow jackets to the point where they cannot enjoy time in their backyard at all and other means of mitigation fail then yes a MG will recommend the client employ a professional. But that is a last resort.

Our first choices for yellow jacket control are keeping food and drinks covered when outdoors and maybe putting out traps as far away as possible from occupied areas. Other natural means are keeping up a pollinator flower garden to attract other insects as they are the primary food for yellow jackets as well as they drink nectar for energy.

Paper wasps rarely attack and usually only if their nest is being disturbed. If someone sees a wasp nest we would tell them to just leave it alone and knock it down at the end of the season when the workers have died off and the queen is in hibernation.

It's true that the unplanned interlopers can take nutrients from things you are growing intentionally, but that's why you have mulch, rocks and other kinds of mitigation against being overrun by undesired plants.
Master Gardeners will always recommend natural controls as the first means of weed prevention. Low or no till gardening, deep infrequent lawn watering, and using mulch on open soil help keep undesired plants away. Frequent lawn mowing will discourage most weeds and using a grass catcher to get any seed heads to help prevent next years weeds. Roundup is a last choice.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On the subject of wasps: I definitely think people should just learn to live with them, but if someone really wants or needs to keep them away from their property, plant some wormwood in the area you are trying to get them to stay away from. This will get them to leave that area without the need for chemicals and poisons. It should be noted though that wormwood leeches absinthe into the ground which can stunt the growth of some plants so plant it in a pot if you aren't sure how it will affect nearby plants.

The above is from memory, something I read a long time ago, so no guarantees that my information is accurate. And I don't know how it affects other pollinators.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This isn't totally garden related but for the beer hops are grown, but really it just an Irish thing :giggle:

Traditional Beer Brewing​

In this video, learn how to easily and affordably take up the hobby of brewing beer at home using any basic beer-brewing kit purchased from a homebrew shop.​
Watch Now

How to Make a Shillelagh​

Take up a saw, a knife, and your Irish spirit and learn how to make a shillelagh. You can easily sell them come St. Patrick's Day.​

Healthy Irish Soda Bread​

Get your St. Patrick's Day celebration off to a great start with this authentic, somewhat large, delicious, nutty tasting healthy Irish soda bread made with whole wheat flour with a little bit of white flour to lighten up the texture.​
Read More >

Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe​

Check out this quintessential St. Patrick’s Day fare corned beef and cabbage recipe using home-cured corned beef.​

Irish Sausage Recipe​

These Irish Bangers are a savory treat. The spices are deliciously balanced and capable of being paired with traditional side dishes such as potatoes.​

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
Incidentally, this is not actually technically a traditional Irish dish, more of an Irish American dish. In Ireland, pork was much cheaper and more readily available than beef. Irish immigrants to America found themselves often living in areas that also had high Jewish populations, and it was there that they encountered corned beef, and found it to be similar to traditional Irish bacon. With beef being cheap in America, it became a substitute in traditional Irish cooking here in the States. But it is really a fairly recent food in Ireland.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Incidentally, this is not actually technically a traditional Irish dish, more of an Irish American dish. In Ireland, pork was much cheaper and more readily available than beef. Irish immigrants to America found themselves often living in areas that also had high Jewish populations, and it was there that they encountered corned beef, and found it to be similar to traditional Irish bacon. With beef being cheap in America, it became a substitute in traditional Irish cooking here in the States. But it is really a fairly recent food in Ireland.
hi buddy. with them being irish they would not know the difference! in their service stations you cant buy petrol, oil etc all they can do is blow your tyres up

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A yellow jacket nest can contain up to 15,000 individuals and most nests are underground. If someone is being attacked by yellow jackets to the point where they cannot enjoy time in their backyard at all and other means of mitigation fail then yes a MG will recommend the client employ a professional. But that is a last resort.

Our first choices for yellow jacket control are keeping food and drinks covered when outdoors and maybe putting out traps as far away as possible from occupied areas. Other natural means are keeping up a pollinator flower garden to attract other insects as they are the primary food for yellow jackets as well as they drink nectar for energy.

Paper wasps rarely attack and usually only if their nest is being disturbed. If someone sees a wasp nest we would tell them to just leave it alone and knock it down at the end of the season when the workers have died off and the queen is in hibernation.

Master Gardeners will always recommend natural controls as the first means of weed prevention. Low or no till gardening, deep infrequent lawn watering, and using mulch on open soil help keep undesired plants away. Frequent lawn mowing will discourage most weeds and using a grass catcher to get any seed heads to help prevent next years weeds. Roundup is a last choice.

I don't want to argue about it Goph. I have zero tolerance toward pesticides, and I believe a healthy garden eco-system has natural controls in it.

Yellow jackets eat aphids and other garden pests, and they are pollenators, not the most efficient kind, but we need all pollenators as the bee population continues to collapse.

My Rodale book says just putting a large clear glass bowl over a yellow jacket ground nest tricks their instincts because they can see out, so they fly around in that clear dome looking for food until they starve, but because they can see out they don't try to dig alternate routes.

They want food, so you have to keep your trash covered. They like those sugar water hummingbird feeders too, and will be attracted to pet food if you feed pets outdoors. If you have a yellow jacket infestation obviously you want to avoid backyard picnics until they're under control.

We have possums, raccoons and skunks in various blocks of the neighborhood around me. All of them eat yellow jackets right out of the nests, but people don't like possums, raccoons and skunks either.

It's up to us to decide what we want, a better connection to nature and its processes in this sacred plane, or poisons.

You can have the last word and I won't say any more, but I'll never, ever change my mind about putting poisons in the garden.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I remember working at a job site and a lot of wasps were around trying to land on me, it was freaking me out. So, I was thinking they were trying to get my sweat, yeah, I know weird, lol.
But, when mixing up some mud (concrete for the stone work) I made a puddle of water, hmmm, all the sudden I started to see wasp go to the puddle of water and was leaving me alone. From that day forward I made sure to have a puddle of water for the wasp at each job site.
Didn't get stung once :bliss:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I remember working at a job site and a lot of wasps were around trying to land on me, it was freaking me out. So, I was thinking they were trying to get my sweat, yeah, I know weird, lol.
But, when mixing up some mud (concrete for the stone work) I made a puddle of water, hmmm, all the sudden I started to see wasp go to the puddle of water and was leaving me alone. From that day forward I made sure to have a puddle of water for the wasp at each job site.
so you pee and stand in it?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ask us anything, Jimi!

We LOVE 💚 questions because that’s our mission—to help YOU on your garden journey.

To make it easier, you can complete the form below to submit your gardening questions to us—on any garden topic! You can even attach up to 5 pictures to ensure we fully understand YOUR specific question.

➡️ Submit Your Garden Questions HERE

By asking your questions, you are helping to shape the path of the Grow Your Own Vegetables content for the remainder of 2024 and beyond. Help us to help YOU by ensuring that the topics that you need help with and are important to YOU are being covered!

And yes, you may submit more than one question on the form but please keep it to under 5 questions at this time. If you need a more immediate response to your garden questions, please email [email protected].

The Garden Questions Form should be submitted by 11:59pm Pacific Time on Sunday, March 31st.

Thank you for being a part of the Grow Your Own Vegetables Garden Community! We truly believe that there is no other garden community quite like ours, and we love you all! 💚🧡💜

🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Indigenous Medicine: Violets for Food and Health​

In this video, meet our plant sister, violet. She gives us both food and medicine. She is an extremely versatile plant, prolific producer, and hardy perennial in North America. Learn how to identify and gather this great edible plant.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Cherry Blossom Decoration Ideas​

Looking for some cherry blossom decoration ideas? There are many easy cherry blossom decorations to DIY that will add style and charm to any space.​

Are Redbud Tree Flowers Edible?​

Are redbud tree flowers edible? Are redbud trees poisonous to humans? Learn how to forage for these delicious treats!​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

10 Edible Medicinal Flowers To Grow​

Here are 10 medicinal flowers to grow in your own garden at home. There are numerous medicinal flowers and their uses are varied, but they all add a splash of color and beauty to the garden.​

Zesty Edible Flowers List​

Check out this list of edible wild flowers to find your next favorite garnish. Many of the blooms on this edible flowers list can also be found in your garden.​

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

My experience is that wasps are not at all aggressive. I'm not saying they won't sting you if you pluck a lemon from a tree they're working in, but if they don't feel threatened by you, they won't aggress against you. I've told of these incidents before in this thread:

One time, without realizing it, smoking on the front porch of the old brick & mortar where I had to go outside to smoke, I was right under a wasp nest. One of them flew down and "thunk" collided into my arm, as if to say "our nest is a nonsmoking home if you don't mind" (but didn't sting me). So I went to the other end of the porch. Cigarette smoke is deadly to them. One time one of them followed me inside. My co-worker was like "wasp!". I said light a cigarette and blow the smoke on it. He said are you kidding, boss will kill me for smoking inside. I said just do it and then put it out. He did, and the wasp dropped dead 😿. Another time I was smoking on the front porch at my aunt's house. There was a big wasp nest in the roof above. One of the contractors working on the house pointed it out and said I'd better smoke somewhere else. Nah, I said, I just don't smoke under the nest, and they mind their own business. Bunches more stories like that. I love wasps. They eat aphids and scale, and they pollenate your plants. Free labor.

I think insects are more sentient than anybody realizes. They probably loved you for giving them water to drink.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I want to share the crop that’s the most expensive to buy, yet the easiest to grow…

Herbs.

Growing herbs is the perfect place to start because they grow well in a variety of spaces both indoors in containers and outdoors in the garden. So no matter what your current garden or space situation is, you can probably at least grow some herbs.

You’ll want to star this email and save it as your go-to resource for growing herbs. Check out these articles:

By the way... March 21st is one of two equinoxes where the sun is between its maximum and minimum declination. This means that the sun will roughly be midway through its journey from high to low and back again and hanging out right above the equator. (Actually the date is a little off depending on the astronomical v. meteorological seasons, but close enough.) This is a good time for you to go take pictures of your yard at noon to document the changes you are seeing.

In the Northern hemisphere it is spring, so our plants will be triggered by the shorter nights to grow faster at this point. This is also the time that most yards tend to look their best.

In the Southern hemisphere it is autumn and plants are triggered by the longer nights to start drying up and preserving resources. This is also the time that most yards need a little TLC to prepare for the coming winter.

Enjoy and if you are willing please post pictures on our Facebook page so we can all share the inspiration (or in the private Facebook group if you have access via one of our courses). Please use #TheUrbanFarmInspirationChallenge in your comments.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The recent Joyful Gardener Docuseries was a truly inspirational experience! Many of you have emailed with further questions from the event.

So, how does another LIVE Q&A sound, Jimi?

On Monday, March 25th at 1pm Pacific Time / 4pm Eastern Time, we are hosting a LIVE Q&A for Joyful Gardener Docuseries attendees to ask YOUR specific garden questions. Mark your calendar for this LIVE event and get your questions ready.

Add this event to your calendar

Apple Google Office 365 Outlook Outlook.com Yahoo

🤔 Submit your questions ahead of time to ensure that they are covered during the event. Also, if you cannot make the live event, there will be a replay. So, you can still hear the answer to your question.

➡️ Submit Your Garden Questions HERE

Don’t be shy! Questions are how we all learn! More often than not, there is someone else that wants to ask the same question and will benefit from hearing the answer.

So, ask away!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you planning to grow in containers, Jimi, but not sure what to do next?

Choosing the correct soil to use is essential for growing success. Since potting mixes are more lightweight and hold moisture well, they are ideal for planting your vegetables and herbs in containers.

However, potting mixes come in different types, and it’s important to understand the ingredients in the potting mix that you choose. You cannot always rely on the label.

That’s where our Container Growing Medium eGuide comes in. This free eGuide helps you to understand the difference between various soil mixes, their ingredients, and which are best for container gardening.

📗 Get the Container Growing Medium eGuide HERE
Container Gardening Download

Inside the eGuide, you learn:

🪴 How to understand what a manufacturer means by “all-purpose potting soil”
🪴 How to know whether “planting mix” is a “potting mix” or not
🪴 Why to look for the term “derived from” on the ingredients list
🪴 Why potting mixes with certain chemicals are not ideal for long-term growth

Make sure that your seeds and plants get off on the right root in their containers. Grab your copy of the free eGuide today.

Button: I want the free eGuide!

We are rooting for you!

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, wasps and bees of all sorts need water. In many places it is hard for them to find good safe water sources, leading them to water that they drown in. Providing shallow water sources or places for them to perch while drinking is ideal.

1711041621678.png

1711041640977.png

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi,
A dozen years ago my good friend and mentor Scott Murray introduced me to what I consider the best and most efficient way to water your garden. It is called drip tape - Join Janis and I for our Introduction to Drip Tape class on March 25 (tonight) at 5pm AZ/Pacific and 8pm Eastern. We dive deeply into how irrigation systems work with this lively conversation about why drip tape is so great and how to install your own! Click HERE to register!
Plus join us for our Garden and Seed Chats. Check them out...

Garden Chat
"Pollinators in your Garden"
March 26
Click HERE

Seed Chat
"Seed Borne Diseases"
April 16
Click HERE

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors