Become a Patron!

Fused clapton core question

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hello I got some 28, 26, and 24 gauge kanthal and am gonna make some fused claptons with an outer wrap of 36 gauge kanthal. What's the best core wire size to use with the sizes I have? I've never made fused claptons so I'm sure it'll be interesting! Are fused claptons that much better than regular claptons? Also all you clapton artist's if I'm trying to reach around .2 to .3 range how many wraps do I need and what inner diameter? I appreciate any help! Thanks

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most people who use them swear by the flavor over regular claptons. Personally, I use both, depending on the application. I like dual fused claptons for my Sigelei 150w because that box doesn't care if it reads really low. Sometimes I even get crazy and stage them with bare wire, which is something I'd advise you to try if you have a mod that's up to the challenge of heating all of that mass and can accept coils that read at or just above .1.

But for my noisy cricket, I prefer dual standard claptons to keep the resistance up without having to build super-massive coils that take forever to heat up.

Honestly couldn't tell you which I think is better. I do standards on the NC more often than not for the form factor of the mod itself, but the fact the the size of the mod is the deciding factor should say something about how either one performs. To me, they're pretty much interchangeable. It's about how you balance the coils to the power that you have going to them. That's hard to give advice on. It's mostly trial and error.

With that outer wire, any of the cores will work pretty well. Which one works best is gonna come down to how much power you have available and what your preference is. I will say that the 26 and 28 are going to serve you better if you absolutely must stay above .2. You will have more options when it comes to tweaking your builds. You're gonna have a little trouble getting the 24g to read that high. It'll limit you to singles, and the size range will be very small between reading too low and being too big to fit in a 22mm rda.

Generally speaking, you're probably going to want to keep the i.d. at 2.5mm or above in order to keep the width down and make better use of chamber space. You may be able to go down to 2mm with the 28g. Wicking will never be the problem. Fitting and aligning the coil will just be more difficult if you make it too wide.

One word of advice I can give you is this: if you have a high-powered regulated mod, don't conceptualize coils in terms of resistance. Start looking at the mass and wrap for that instead of resistance. Resistance only matters when it comes to determining whether or not the mod will fire it and give you a full power window.

You can use steam engine to calculate claptons just like regular coils. The outer wire adds a negligible amount of resistance at the connection site, but once the shorts are worked out, it's essentially inactive because of how much higher the resistance is compared to the cores. They may read .1 higher, at the most... ...and usually less. You can actually bypass this and make them read pretty much exactly like the core wire alone would by stripping the outer wraps from the sections of wire that go into the posts.

Last edited:

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the extremely informative response!

VU Sponsors