Become a Patron!

French toast- the hard way?

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
I know Capella and loranns has it. I want the satisfaction of knowing I made something complex on my own. Companies for best flavors?

Cinnamon
Vanilla
Maple syrup
Custard? (Milk & eggs?)
Waffle? (Bread?)

I know maple syrup will overpower quickly.. SOO...

Cinnamon .5%
Vanilla .5%
Maple syrup .25%
Custard? (Milk & eggs?) .5%
Waffle? (Bread?) 1%

? I'm slowly learning all these new flavors. Loving every minute of it!!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I totally understand wanting to create the flavor yourself. :)

If you already have favorite brands for any of those flavors, stick with them.

FA Custard is ideal for this, because unlike all other custard flavors, it IS that milk-and-eggs flavor you're looking for, instead of an American vanilla pudding flavor.

Vanilla...maybe plain vanillin (TFA sells a dilution) or FA Vanilla Classic, if you want just vanilla there. Or your favorite vanilla custard (not FA Custard) here would add the dairy, sweetness, and vanilla in one shot.

Waffle or bread is the tough one. I haven't found one I think is realistic, but I sure haven't tried them all. You might find that, if you get all the other flavors right, you brain/tongue will fill in the missing waffle bit, even if you don't add any bakery flavor. Tiny amounts of a plain cookie (FA Cookie or Inawera Biscuit, maaaaaybe TFA Sugar Cookie) can add a bakery bit with extra sweetness, if you keep it a minor ingredient.

If you're going to make other stuff with cinnamon and/or maple syrup flavors, or if you don't have any such flavors yet, I'll put in a plug for FA's versions. Especially for cinnamon! FA Cinnamon Ceylon is notably tastier and more realistic than any other bakery cinnamon flavor you'll find.

One thing that you don't list but many people use on French toast...is butter. Do you vape custard note ingredients, or do you want to work around them?

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
I have a few custards, I hate the funky burnt taste most have.. (I drip at low ohms..) so I'm looking for that Authentic french toast flavor. I kinda figured the maple syrup might give it a slight butter flavor, but that was me not thinking

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Another possible ingredient... I use brown sugar when I make real French toast, and TFA Brown Sugar Extra adds a good sugary touch to sweet/bakery recipes. Along with a tiny bit of a cookie flavor, it could stand in for a waffle, while adding no diacetyl or substitute ingredients.

There are butter flavors that would totally complete the effect you want - all have diacetyl/subs. It's totally up to you if you'd include those. Any commercial juice or flavoring for French Toast (almost) undoubtedly includes some diacetyl/subs for that buttery bit.

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
Soo, with your help,
Cinnamon Ceylon FA .5%
Vanillan TFA .5%
Maple syrup FA .25%
Custard FA .5%
Cookie FA .25%
Brown sugar extra TFA .25%

Something like that? I really don't know these flavors yet.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
That's not far off what I'd try for a first shot.

I think I'd use 1% on FA Custard and .5 on Cookie - sort of building on those as a base, and starting with a bit less Vanillin at first.
I'd personally swap the percents on Maple and Cinnamon, but that's just my nitpicky personal preference.

As for getting a buttery effect without diacetyl... FA Butterscotch is the only butterscotch I know of that has no diacetyl/subs, and it can add a sugar+butter flavor when you mix creatively. It's not an easy flavor to work with. Adding a little less butterscotch than brown sugar can give you a diacetyl-free buttery effect. With .25% Brown Sugar Extra, about 0.15% or less FA Butterscotch might give you that last touch. It's sure worth a try.

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Could also try TFA Waffle, it's a very good buttery waffle flavor. When mixing with fruits I usually do it at a 2 to 1 ratio. Because you're trying to be a bit more delicate with this, maybe 3-4% max.

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
I thought bout waffle but as Id never had it, wasn't sure if it was doughey or buttery. I've had my fair share of NASTY waffles lol

Last12no

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know it may sound strange, but I use English Toffee (TFA) when I need a butter flavor and texture.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
FYI it looks like Vapor Trails NW is going to be releasing a few of their recipes. One of which is their French Toast flavor. Apparently it was a pretty awesome juice. The reason they are doing it, they can't make these juices properly without using flavors that contain acetoin. I know you're trying to stay away from it Ashlie but the recipe might be worth looking at for ideas once they release it.

Here is their post on it
http://www.vaportrailsnw.com/blog/important-info-on-some-changes-and-new-blends/

They will be releasing the recipes on Reddit, so keep an eye out here
http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/

Ashlie Gantt

Member For 4 Years
Ok, so an update. I used their recipe. It's a bit strong on the cinnamon, but it's totally legit. I used cap waffle since TFA was out when I ordered..

But...

The ejuice I was getting before, has a strong alcohol burn to it, but it's pleasant, a warming burn.. Simulates swallowing hot french toast almost.. I'm almost thinking a rum... Maybe like a butter rum added to this other juice? Thoughts?

jamieg71

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I couldn't tell you the first thing about mixing ejuice. After having read this so far...
I want some.
I feel like Joe Dirt, all I can think is 'dang that sounds gud'

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, so an update. I used their recipe. It's a bit strong on the cinnamon, but it's totally legit. I used cap waffle since TFA was out when I ordered..

But...

The ejuice I was getting before, has a strong alcohol burn to it, but it's pleasant, a warming burn.. Simulates swallowing hot french toast almost.. I'm almost thinking a rum... Maybe like a butter rum added to this other juice? Thoughts?

hmm Rhum... lol.. :sneaka:

Ashlie,
I was wondering if you ever perfected this to your liking?

Yeah Ashlie lol.. Did ya??? :drunk:

VU Sponsors