Become a Patron!

Force patina my pegasus

Dalton801

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I want to patina my pegasus, and I know how to do it, but I am extremely inpatient. I want to know the best way to speed the shit out of the process and still make it look beautiful. I'm not picky on the color. And also, I'm nervous to work with ammonia, is there any safer alternatives to ammonia?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Some use vinegar....some vinegar and yellow mustard. Lots of tuts on youtube, and a thread on here. http://vapingunderground.com/threads/forced-patina.3411/
A good patina on copper takes 24-30 hours...if you want a partial, you can pull it off in 8. Brass can take three days or more.
vncg5SO.png

Here is a copper 4nine I did in 8 hours using ammonia and Himalayan pink salt

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I want to patina my pegasus, and I know how to do it, but I am extremely inpatient. I want to know the best way to speed the shit out of the process and still make it look beautiful. I'm not picky on the color. And also, I'm nervous to work with ammonia, is there any safer alternatives to ammonia?
Ammonia is completely safe when used in a well ventilated area. It is not a contact toxin and cleans off quite well with just water. I recommend using latex or nitrile gloves as your skin oils can prevent the patina from forming wherever you touch the mod.

Dalton801

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ammonia is completely safe when used in a well ventilated area. It is not a contact toxin and cleans off quite well with just water. I recommend using latex or nitrile gloves as your skin oils can prevent the patina from forming wherever you touch the mod.
I toyed around with the boiled egg patina, and added salt and white vinegar. I used pennies so I wouldn't ruin my pegasus. It came out to a bluish white patina, but it literally rubbed right off. If I were to let it dry for an hour or so would the patina stick? Also, I want to know If I did use the ammonia method, how do I keep the inside from not changing? I don't want any interference with my battery.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
you can protect the threads by corking the ends...using electrical tape....heavy layer of Vaseline.
The item needs to dry for at least three hours before handling as the patina will rub off. Remember, you are doing in a few hours what normally takes years.
Let the tube dry for three hours...rinse off the salt and whatever with SLIGHTLY warm water...and do not rub.
Once dry, apply your first THIN coat of acrylic. Repeat the coats at three hour intervals and do NOT touch the outside of the tube until the acrylic has had at least 24 hours to dry. I don’t care how "fast drying" the label says...let it dry for 24 hours. This process takes a few days, but patience pays.

VU Sponsors