Become a Patron!

For anyone wondering about Temp Control and IPV4

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Took a bit of tinkering, but I finally got my RDA to work with the IPV4's temp control. For anyone wanting to know what worked for me was:

Ni200 28g wire, twisted (2 strands)
Used a revolver coil jig and made 10 wraps @ 3mm, all touching (heard it's supposed to be spaced but was an experiment and it seems to work)
Single Coil, put it on the mutation Xv2, at room temp and set IPV4 to Jules mode, held down the + - button to register the ohms, which gave me a reading of .07 ohms
put my cotton in, and set my temp to 300 degree's F.

Now, I know cotton is supposed to have a igniting temp of 420, but i've tried this and it doesn't seem to work, not sure if the chip is not accurate or what but so far I've found 300 F to work.

Juiced it up, and hit it over and over and it does indeed not give me any dry hits. The flavor gets more muted, and the vape is cooler the more I hit it but have not thus far gotten any dry hits.

I may experiment tomorrow with 15 or so wraps and try duel coil.

Anyways, it was hard finding any info on this so decided to put this out there.

saint_518

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Very interesting! Would like to hear the update with the 15 wrap

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, failed! Ran out of nickel wire and was only able to attempt duel coils at 11 wraps each, which ended up being too low in resistance.

Been vaping on the single coil on temp mode and I'm not sure what is the cause..nickel wire or limiting the temp but at least on the IPV4 the vape is a "dry" vape. Just a observation. I do like it a lot...being able to vape the crap outta it and not get a dry hit is nice. Squeeze every last drop of juice from that wic lol

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Took a bit of tinkering, but I finally got my RDA to work with the IPV4's temp control. For anyone wanting to know what worked for me was:

Ni200 28g wire, twisted (2 strands)
Used a revolver coil jig and made 10 wraps @ 3mm, all touching (heard it's supposed to be spaced but was an experiment and it seems to work)
Single Coil, put it on the mutation Xv2, at room temp and set IPV4 to Jules mode, held down the + - button to register the ohms, which gave me a reading of .07 ohms
put my cotton in, and set my temp to 300 degree's F.

Now, I know cotton is supposed to have a igniting temp of 420, but i've tried this and it doesn't seem to work, not sure if the chip is not accurate or what but so far I've found 300 F to work.

Juiced it up, and hit it over and over and it does indeed not give me any dry hits. The flavor gets more muted, and the vape is cooler the more I hit it but have not thus far gotten any dry hits.

I may experiment tomorrow with 15 or so wraps and try duel coil.

Anyways, it was hard finding any info on this so decided to put this out there.

I'm running my Vulcan with a dual 28 Gauge coil at .11 at 50 Joules and 480. It's putting out the flavor big time, nice thick juicy cloudage.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm running my Vulcan with a dual 28 Gauge coil at .11 at 50 Joules and 480. It's putting out the flavor big time, nice thick juicy cloudage.

Have you attempted to get a dry hit at that temp? With my single coil @.07 if i turn the temp up past 370 I can get burning of the cotton...but I do not know what the issue may be. Did you space your coils? I did not, and I've read that you are supposed to though it still seems to work, but the vape is cool and dry and I prefer a hot moist vape. I will tinker more with it but since Im out of nickel wire and heading to Europe for a month + it won't be for awhile.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've done both spaced and contact coils. You have to turn up the joules and temp to get warmer vapor. Ejiuce really starts to vaporize well at 450. Just as I begin to taste the last of the juice, the dry coil warning pops on the screen.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm. I may experiment with a little more cotton. I've been vaping at 40 joules, as I have not noticed much of a difference at 50 prob due to the 370 temp setting.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha. Just turned it up to 430 and received a burn't hit on first attempt. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
re-wick and use a bit more cotton this time around, juice it up well. You got a burned hit at 430? Did you lock the resistance in when the atty was cold?

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
re-wick and use a bit more cotton this time around, juice it up well. You got a burned hit at 430? Did you lock the resistance in when the atty was cold?

Yes, made sure addy was cold. Yes, burned my wick at 420...even 390. Perhaps I do need more cotton.

Really wish there was more information out there about this. You'd think their website would contain a tutorial.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Put more cotton in there....still burns. Oh well. I'll just keep the temp down. Something is wrong...either the unit isn't reading temp's correctly off the shelf, or my coil is not done properly to allow the unit to read the temp correctly. Trial and error I guess. I works beautifully at around 337 degree's...never a dry hit, and the vape is not bad at all.

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Put more cotton in there....still burns. Oh well. I'll just keep the temp down. Something is wrong...either the unit isn't reading temp's correctly off the shelf, or my coil is not done properly to allow the unit to read the temp correctly. Trial and error I guess. I works beautifully at around 337 degree's...never a dry hit, and the vape is not bad at all.
Why don't you post pictures so the coil building experts can take a look.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Okay. Look at the coil, 2/3 is black the other 1/3 shiny. What does that tell you?

Your coil is heating unevenly and has a hot spot or two, that's why you are getting a burned taste at 390. I noticed you are using twisted wire. Next time, use straight 28 gauge NI200, about 12-15 wraps around a 3mm mandrel, make a contact coil and dry burn it till it glows slightly and then gently use a tweezers and squeeze the coil. I've used contact coils and spaced coils. Both work.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Made a new coil. Spaced, 13 wraps, reads as .3, room temp. Wicked it, and.........still getting burned taste and only at 384 F.

Tomorrow, I will go to the vape shop and put it on their floor model and see if it does the same thing. I'm at a loss. I mean, it works perfectly at 330ish. and when firing with no wick it displays the Dry Coil message.

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Made a new coil. Spaced, 13 wraps, reads as .3, room temp. Wicked it, and.........still getting burned taste and only at 384 F.

Tomorrow, I will go to the vape shop and put it on their floor model and see if it does the same thing. I'm at a loss.
Did you fire up the new coil before wicking it to check it's functionality?

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you fire up the new coil before wicking it to check it's functionality?

Well, it is too low of an ohm to use wattage mode to test that...and in temp mode...it functions to not fire it as it is designed that way. Other than a unregulated mod, which the one I have is not functional, not sure how to do that.

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, it is too low of an ohm to use wattage mode to test that...and in temp mode...it functions to not fire it as it is designed that way. Other than a unregulated mod, which the one I have is not functional, not sure how to do that.
Yeah I forgot we're talking about NI200. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, if it's a .3, you can pulse it on a mech with a good battery. Pulse it till the coil glows uniformly. Other than that, I'm at a loss as well. 384 is well below the ignition point of dry cotton.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya, unfortunately my mech mod is not working. I do want to go to the store I bought it from and compare it to their floor model to rule out a faulty chip. I'm sure it's something i'm doing wrong, but I don't want to find out after my trip (over a month long) that it was the device, i believe they will exchange it since it was purchased recently IF it turns out to be the device.

Thanks for all your input/help.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Think there may be an issue with the unit. It show's "short" as a message...but there clearly is no issue on wattage mode with this coil. Burns from the center out (was able to do this as i remembered ipv4 reads down to .1 ohms..and this is a .27. Works fine in wattage mode..and works fine up to 350ish but the minute I raise temp to 400+ it burns and I get "short" message. I don't know for sure...but...seems faulty to me.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I may have the wrong notion of exactly what temp control is supposed to do. I was under the impression that it was meant to keep the temp below (if set below 420) cottons igniting temp and therefore not allow any "burn't inhales", so my expectation was that as long as you set your temp below 420, one should not experience any burn't flavor. But perhaps you do get singing of some cotton as you get closer to the ignition temp, so keeping the temp lower say, around 350 I do not get any burning/singing at all.

I guess the other use for temp control could be to regulate exactly the temp you like your vape to be? If this is the case, I guess you would vape as you would without temp control and now rely on it to not give a dry hit?

VU Sponsors