Fish Rained From the Sky in Texas Ahead of the New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
An unusual phenomenon saw a rainstorm of fish hit an East Texas city at the end of last year.

Forget cats and dogs, it was raining fish in Texarkana on Wednesday, December 29, when a rare weather event occurred — one that literally no one had on their 2021 bingo card. As NBC reports, officials from the city posted a weather warning on Facebook to alert locals to the fact that it was "raining fish" during the midweek rainstorms in East Texas.

"Animal rain is a phenomenon that occurs when small water animals like frogs, crabs, and small fish are swept up in waterspouts or drafts that occur on the surface of the earth. They are then rained down at the same time as the rain," the city of Texarkana explained in the caption of their public service announcement, which included a photo of a fallen fish.

The author of the post encouraged those who witnessed the "uncommon" phenomenon to share their fishy pics, with several people taking up the invitation. One Texarkana resident, James Audirsch, told KTAL TV that he and a coworker were alerted to the incident by loud noises coming from outside the used car dealership where they were working.

"There was a loud crack of thunder and when we opened up the bay door, I looked outside and it was raining real hard and a fish hit the ground," Audirsch recalled in a personal account recorded by the outlet. "And then I said, 'It's raining fish!' Brad was like, 'No it's not,' and I'm like, 'No, it really is!' and fish were dropping, here and everywhere."

The station reported that the dealership's parking lot became one of the landing spots for the sea life shower, which appeared to be predominantly made up of young white bass measuring less than half a foot, making them relatively small but still quite a bit larger than the three-eyed critters that emerged in Arizona amid a torrential summer downpour late last year.

Adele Ankers is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors