freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
4% flavor
6 MG nic
75 VG
25 PG

Flavor one was FA Red Type. Yuck. No discernible taste.
Flavor two was FA RY4 double. Carmel hints but no tobacco taste.

Disappointing first mixes.

I didn't try to use any recipe, just tossed some flavors to see what they taste like.
Is 4% too low to start with these flavors? Should my flavor % be more like 10?

The red type smelled good in the vial, but mixing it left me tasting nothing. RY4 I could only get hints of caramel, but more like a burned-ish caramel. Not a sweet caramel candy taste.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
4% flavor
6 MG nic
75 VG
25 PG

Flavor one was FA Red Type. Yuck. No discernible taste.
Flavor two was FA RY4 double. Carmel hints but no tobacco taste.

Disappointing first mixes.

I didn't try to use any recipe, just tossed some flavors to see what they taste like.
Is 4% too low to start with these flavors? Should my flavor % be more like 10?

The red type smelled good in the vial, but mixing it left me tasting nothing. RY4 I could only get hints of caramel, but more like a burned-ish caramel. Not a sweet caramel candy taste.

Are you sure you mean FA (Flavor Art), and not TFA (Flavor Apprentice)? I ask because I'm not aware of that FA has a Red Type flavor but I could be wrong! And if that's the case it may be a percentage issue.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Pretty sure that's how my flavors were marked.

Bought nic and flavors from RTS vapes.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking you might mean TFA - would you double check? Because RY4 double is TFA generally! If so, I usually make that at 10% with 1% AP. And then I stick it in a crockpot for 4 hours :)

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I should also add, my wife looks at me and informs me I should have just made the strawberries and whipped cream.

I think she was looking forward to vaping some tasty strawberry. :D

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
TFA = the flavor apprentice
FA =flavor art

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@RocketPuppy if a TFA ry4 double master. maybe she has some tips.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup, TFA's RY4D is very popular (not to be confused with Flavor Art). Most people make it between 8-10%. It really does benefit from steeping though!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
didn't that red type used to be like.. American red tobacco?

bit grassy if used heavy, if it is the one i am thinking on.. lighter tobacco..

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
as a new DIYer, I would have added a drop or drops and tried it, then if nothing added another drop of both, etc. at least that is what I have been kind of told. start with less and add to taste. it's easier to add than it is to take away...

But then, again, I am a rookie for sure. If wrong, please vets let me know...

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
as a new DIYer, I would have added a drop or drops and tried it, then if nothing added another drop of both, etc. at least that is what I have been kind of told. start with less and add to taste. it's easier to add than it is to take away...

But then, again, I am a rookie for sure. If wrong, please vets let me know...

had it have been fa.. that would have overpowered his juice..
being it's tfa for both.. it's actually a bit low, Tick..

once you get the hang of what flavor company you are working with, after a while you will become used to starting percentages ;)
but yes, you are right, go low and add more if needed..

Budds

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TFA's RY4D for me 8% 50/50 15mg.... Can start to taste what its about around week two, but it really shines at a month or better.
I like to add one or more of AP, Toasted Almond, Toasted Marshmallow, Tobacco Absolute, Black Fire..... Hell even a hint of CamT if Im in the mood, ( And feelin Brave !)
All in small amounts, 2% and less.... mostly less.

I make 100mls every two weeks and pour out 10's and 30's to add the above ingredients to.
I may have 5-10 different 10mls of RY4D variants at any given time, and a couple of 30's of my Favs.

Keeps it different......
Just My Experience..........YMMV...........

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
TFA's RY4D for me 8% 50/50 15mg.... Can start to taste what its about around week two, but it really shines at a month or better.
I like to add one or more of AP, Toasted Almond, Toasted Marshmallow, Tobacco Absolute, Black Fire..... Hell even a hint of CamT if Im in the mood, ( And feelin Brave !)
All in small amounts, 2% and less.... mostly less.

I make 100mls every two weeks and pour out 10's and 30's to add the above ingredients to.
I may have 5-10 different 10mls of RY4D variants at any given time, and a couple of 30's of my Favs.

Keeps it different......
Just My Experience..........YMMV...........

so you make a 100ml of TFA's RY4D, 8% 50/50 15mg.

So you let it steep a month and then add the others as you feel like it??? or steep after adding what you feel like?????

note to self. take better notes and write it so you can read it..... sheesh

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Tried strawberries and whipped cream (tfa). Close but both flavors need bumped up.

Tried a blend of several tobaccos. Red, ultimate 7 leaf, smooth, ry4 double. Tastes lemony, and not tobacco like at all, IMO.

Budds

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
RY4D 100mls steeped....

When I want to add other flavors I pour off a small amount, 6-10 mls, make additions.... Hot bath in the sink.... sample at will.
Usually time is your friend so it will be a little more "settled" in the coming days.... but I sample within hours after the mix and in most cases it will not change too awful much. (Some flavors, only a very few I've tried, need Months of steep time... but there are a few !)

All just MHO....... YMMV......

daddybizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Steep, steep, steep. Whether you do it by manipulation or the old fashioned way ( Mix it, throw it in a drawer for a few days), these tobaccos need time to bloom. You will see a change in flavor after a couple of days. Give it a shot.

Keep detailed notes of your mixes. It really sucks when you hit on a top shelf vape and you can't remember the recipe.

Patience is one of the keys to becoming a successful mixer. Expect to mess up some flavors. Part of the game. Learn from what does and does not work for others. Don't be afraid to mix it up with some non conventional flavor combos. I've stumbled across some pretty good vapes by doing that. Make sure to have fun along the way.

VU Sponsors