Become a Patron!

First TC builds...recommendation for gauge, tempered, etc?

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi guys,

Ive got the Sig 150w TC on the way...im excited to get into TC land!

I am going to buy wire today. Lightningvapes is where I have been getting wire lately, so Ill prob stick with them on the nickel as well unless anyone knows of a obviously better, cheaper place.

Can anyone recommend whether to use tempered or annealed?

What are two good gauges to start out with?

Ill be doing mostly dripping on either a mutation x, plume veil or magma. Some subtank building as well.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 28ga Ni 200 on my Billow V2 (dual coil). The problem with dual coil builds using Ni200 is getting enough resistance so your mod will fire the coil. For me 30ga is a little hard to work with (very, very malleable) and 26ga won't give me enough resistance in the space provided on the build deck. Here's another source for Ni200 wire if your interested. I've ordered more than once from them.
http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/search.html?category=Special_Metal_Wire

Cheers,
Steve

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have 28g 30g and 32g ni200.. I have put together an assortment of single and dual coil builds.. the 28g is the easiest to work with but the 30g and 32g offer up interesting options for example the current build in my Goliath is dual parallel 32g coils 2mm ID 11 wraps.. it comes in at 0.063 ohms
in my epoch I have dual 30g 7 wraps 2.5mm ID at 0.055 ohms and in my subtank mini I have used 5 wraps of 28g 3mm ID 0.062 ohms, 7 wraps of 32g 4 strand twisted 3mm ID 0.07 ohms, and 6 wraps parallel 30g 3mm ID 0.063 ohms.. and the current build in my cthulhu is dual 28g 11 wraps 2.5mm ID 0.053 ohms

the biggest difference between nickle and kanthal is the resilience.. ni200 is like melting butter very very soft.. that makes it easy to shape, but a royal pain to get it to hold its shape when adjusting and wicking

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I use 28ga Ni 200 on my Billow V2 (dual coil). The problem with dual coil builds using Ni200 is getting enough resistance so your mod will fire the coil. For me 30ga is a little hard to work with (very, very malleable) and 26ga won't give me enough resistance in the space provided on the build deck. Here's another source for Ni200 wire if your interested. I've ordered more than once from them.
http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/search.html?category=Special_Metal_Wire

Cheers,
Steve
Yup totally agree on the 28 g with dual coils. I use billows V2 as,well and it tough to get enough resistance and still get good coils. 28 can get you many options. Tried 30 but that shit is so small to work with

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Dumbphone

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'd recommend starting with regular 28 Guage nickel so you could appreciate the struggle. I use a billow v2 and have 8 wraps per coil at 2.5 mm and it does well. I'm gonna try shrinking down to 2mm. Just brought tempered 26 Guage but something went wrong and usps is trying to send it back.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For subtanks I use 26 gauge. I have annealed but tempered would be much easier to work with if you're using nickel. I fiind Ti much easier to work with.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use tempered whenever possible and 28g ni200 for dual coil, 26 g for single.
Usually at 3mm inside diameter.

Gina3FVAPE

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For subtanks I use 26 gauge. I have annealed but tempered would be much easier to work with if you're using nickel. I fiind Ti much easier to work with.

Hi, @AmandaD Can Ti work with all TC modS? I find myself some pointed out clearly they work with Ti, and some do not.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi, @AmandaD Can Ti work with all TC modS? I find myself some pointed out clearly they work with Ti, and some do not.
you would do better using Ti to go with a mod that supports it, if you have the evic or an upgraded ipv4 (ipv4s) they are programmed to work correctly with the Ti

one other little trick for TC coils is machine screws I grabbed a bag of nylon 4-40 and nylon 2-56 screws they have a respective ID of 2mm and 1.5mm
I wrap my coils into the thread and leave the screw in place to set the coil.. one thing best to drop a bit of e-juice on the screw once the coil is secured to prevent drag when unscrewing

Last edited:

Sean.King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Check out stealthvape.co.uk for "tempered" nickel wire. Yes they are in the uk but its cheaper. I priced out 28 and 30 gauge tempered nickel. They sell it by the meter so keep that in mind. For 123 feet of both it came out to 19.42 shipped after pounds to dollars conversion. Thats less than half the price of lightningvapes even with shipping. They also offer a free vape band, kanthal wire sample, and 3 pads of cotton with any order so long as you find it and add it to your cart. Lightning vapes gouges the shit out of their tempered wire. For just 100 feet of either gauge they want $22. Unless you need the wire super fast check them out. Shipping doesnt take as long as you would think, so i hear.

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey Humans. Just joined on here and I'm a new DNA40 operator. I have been doing spread single coils of 28ga wrapped about 9 or 10 times on a 3mm mandrel to get .12 or so ohms. I've got tempered 28ga Ni200 and it makes it easier for sure. I had ordered some 32ga annealed and it was impossible to work with UNTIL I twisted it. Single spread coil 5-6 wraps @3mm and I'm finally getting somewhere. I'm thinking a dual coil can't be too far away! I'm vaping at 470-490 at 22.5 -37 watts. I still set off temperature control all the time. Ideas?

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I brought a foot of tempered 26 nickel and I struggled with that. It kept breaking when I made good connections. I don't get that with annealed. The struggle is real with tempered

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I brought a foot of tempered 26 nickel and I struggled with that. It kept breaking when I made good connections. I don't get that with annealed. The struggle is real with tempered
I have found that a good trick when using atties with screws is avoid the postholes. Wrap your leads around the screws in a clockwise direction and make sure they overlap themselves. Hold that coil in place when you tighten them down so it doesn't move on you. Otherwise post holes with grub screws seem to work okay.

VU Sponsors