Become a Patron!

First RDA

Recently bought my first rda, using pre-built coils right now. When I start building, will I be able to use flat wire on a Mutation X V3 authentic? Something just looks awesome about the flat.

I would like taste and cloud. it's banging both, awesomely, at 40 watts, 4volts, and .4ohms. Then again, I'm new to dripping and it looks impressive as is.

ANY helpful information is greatly appreciated. Any links to help me would be great too.
Also running it on a Sigelei 150

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would start with a 24 gauge, dual contact coil build. Get a simple, satisfying build sorted out and then screw around with fancy wire and whatnot.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the mutation will hold most wire you throw at it but proper building is key for good results.

Thank you boomstick. Is dual contact the same thing as a dual parallel build?

Thank you kingworm. One thing i've heard from watching youtube, rip trippers specifically, is 'the rda doesn't matter (clone or not) it's all in the build'. I do plan on trying a few different, "simple", builds before "upping the ante".. lol

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Once you have gotten good at wrapping standard macro and micro coils. Move into twisted wire. Then you can do zippers and so on. Keep it simple at first. Wicking doesn't get enough credit either. Wicking is super important.

I started using rebuildables a couple of months ago, and I love the mutation. My favorite is the Darkhorse. The thing is a beast. I've tried multiple coil setups from quad, single, dual, all with different gauge wire, and my favorite thus far is a single 24g parallel coil, 4 wraps around a 3.19mm post. The vapor is dense, and hot. This method seems to bring out the deeper flavors in juices that I wasn't able to taste with other builds.

An RDA can shine on the sigeli. I have a 150W. I even run .1ohm builds on it. Really shines with a .4-.5ohm build. I do 12-14 wraps macro coil with 24g nichrome. Wick it with only 1/8 inch of cotton coming out the ends. enough to tuck under but not too much that it chokes the coil ;)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you boomstick. Is dual contact the same thing as a dual parallel build?
Something like this.
72D6oyg.jpg

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
9ef6baa2f170c3c1a2b1657900a70964.jpg

Eventually get into building something like this lol

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have don't a Clapton coil once and it wasn't anything better than any dual coil I have ever built. The fanciest coil I do now is 26g kanthal twisted. Just to run a single coil operation on my magma. Nothing special. They run well.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like claptons because it looks really cool and I notice a small boost in the warmth of the vape

Thank you all for your input. I keep hearing/reading that 24g is really good for taste and cloud.

Smaller the number, bigger the wire correct?

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah. i would recommend starting to build on 24 or 26 gauge they are easy to work with

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
26 gauge five wrap duals around 3mm screwdriver gives you 0.34 ohms or something in the ballpark. Nice clouds and taste at 40w.
Same build with 24 gauge should be around 0.26 ohms, better clouds and warmer vape at 50w. Seven wraps of 24 gauge, 0.3something ohms and can handle up to 100w of power. Wick should be snug, but not tight.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love, LOVE my mutation x's. Especially for the money-you can't beat it. Honestly, i have never successfully used flat ribbon wire all by itself. My best results were attained by twisting ribbon wire & regular kanthal together to make tiger wire. Tiger wire puts out some good flavor, and quite a bit of vapor. You can get a 100ft spool of ribbon wire off of kidneypuncher.com for $13, enough to last you a while if you build at a moderate pace. But on it's own it doesn't perform very well at all. Good thing about the mutation x though is that it can take almost any coil you can dream of, so that's one less thing to worry about haha

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love, LOVE my mutation x's. Especially for the money-you can't beat it. Honestly, i have never successfully used flat ribbon wire all by itself. My best results were attained by twisting ribbon wire & regular kanthal together to make tiger wire. Tiger wire puts out some good flavor, and quite a bit of vapor. You can get a 100ft spool of ribbon wire off of kidneypuncher.com for $13, enough to last you a while if you build at a moderate pace. But on it's own it doesn't perform very well at all. Good thing about the mutation x though is that it can take almost any coil you can dream of, so that's one less thing to worry about haha

I second this. For the few coils that I have built using ribbon wire it was mostly for detail or highlights in the coil. Admitedly, I was using a thinner gauge ribbon. Doesnt mean you cant build something using ribbon though, its up to you, @AliveVaper

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Best flat wire i used was 20 gauge nichrome 80 that i hammered flat-ish. More surface area --> more #clouds bro.

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll second that. A good wick job is more important than the coil(s).
Third that, I just rewicked the rda I'm using now and don't want it to ever go bad on me. The juice is wicking perfectly, the over all performance is real noticeable

VU Sponsors