Become a Patron!

First RDA (and what a great RDA it is)

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got tired of waiting on China and went ahead an purchased my first RDA from a local vape store. It was marked up but not too bad. I got a Tobeco Dark Horse clone (1:1) and omfg, it is the best thing since the microwave. If you've not yet tried an RDA, you really ought to. This thing has 16 possible air flow configurations.and a 14 mm wide bore drip tip. I put dual 26 gauge micro coils in it, at .6 ohms (was aiming for .5), and it's mounted on a Sigelei 150 TC at 43 watts. Vaping experience just got even better! Being that this is my first, and how ridiculously bad-ass it is, I'm even more curious about others out there. I still love the Goliath V2 but it just doesn't compare. Have a Mutation X V4 on the way...

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got tired of waiting on China and went ahead an purchased my first RDA from a local vape store. It was marked up but not too bad. I got a Tobeco Dark Horse clone (1:1) and omfg, it is the best thing since the microwave. If you've not yet tried an RDA, you really ought to. This thing has 16 possible air flow configurations.and a 14 mm wide bore drip tip. I put dual 26 gauge micro coils in it, at .6 ohms (was aiming for .5), and it's mounted on a Sigelei 150 TC at 43 watts. Vaping experience just got even better! Being that this is my first, and how ridiculously bad-ass it is, I'm even more curious about others out there. I still love the Goliath V2 but it just doesn't compare. Have a Mutation X V4 on the way...
9ccae8d40e184249f528840cb0df3f3e.jpg

Yeah, the Dark Horse has been favorite cloud blowin RDA for the last 7 mos... Seen here with a dual 24g .22 ohm build and chuff cap on the IPV3...killer clouds at 75w..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I broke-ed mine, this post reminded me of that. I believe it was a clean break as the post just came out and is smooth at the bottom. Tried to put the top on my velocity base and of course it won't fit. I love the velocity but the top gets so hot and with a short drip tip it leads to burnt lips:(

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try some dual 24g 3mm coils. You'll probably like it even more. Congrats on the new gear.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, the Dark Horse has been favorite cloud blowin RDA for the last 7 mos... Seen here with a dual 24g .22 ohm build and chuff cap on the IPV3...killer clouds at 75w..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

It looks good on the IPv3 (wouldn't mind getting one of those, one day). So I bumped my power up to 75 - never really been that high - and I can taste a noticeable difference, with a more dense vapor! Man, this RDA is awesome. I think I'll start venturing in to temp control. Looks like I'll be getting rid of a couple of tanks, too!

Here's mine:

DarkHorse-Sig_100TC_zpstkryl10d.jpg

Last edited:

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try some dual 24g 3mm coils. You'll probably like it even more. Congrats on the new gear.

Thanks! I have 24 gauge on the way...from China... been a few weeks now.
I actually had a length of 24 and started with that - had just enough. Somehow I broke one of the coils' legs, though. I think I tightened too much and as I was trying to remove excess and it broke. Still new to building coils.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I broke-ed mine, this post reminded me of that. I believe it was a clean break as the post just came out and is smooth at the bottom. Tried to put the top on my velocity base and of course it won't fit. I love the velocity but the top gets so hot and with a short drip tip it leads to burnt lips:(

That's too bad. Is it authentic or a clone? One of my outer posts is closer to the positive post... maybe it's slightly bent.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I have 24 gauge on the way...from China... been a few weeks now.
I actually had a length of 24 and started with that - had just enough. Somehow I broke one of the coils' legs, though. I think I tightened too much and as I was trying to remove excess and it broke. Still new to building coils.
It's common for post screws to have sharp ridges on the end of them. I've had to take a metal nail file and smooth out the ends of most of my post screws. Now they rarely cut coil leads. Just a thought.

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's too bad. Is it authentic or a clone? One of my outer posts is closer to the positive post... maybe it's slightly bent.
303c71274b86c7d7b6ee8d1aed362516.jpg

Clone for sure. You can see the break, honestly just looks like it pulled out

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, that's crap. I was watching a Rip Trippers video on the authentic and he noted that the post's holes, as well as the posts themselves, were square... apparently not the case for your clone. I'm wondering how it was attached to begin with. Mine's a Tobeco clone - hopefully it holds up.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My other RDA's from Vape101 came, today. Received a Big Dripper and Mutation X V4 clones (by Tobeco). The Big Dripper was 5 dollars lol. I've coiled, wicked and juiced it and I have to say it's pretty cool for a 5 dollar chunk of steel. I've been in RDA heaven today. What a huge difference from RTA's.

The Big Dripper
I had to push the coils way down; I had installed the top and apparently I was shorting out on it.
BD_coiled-wicked-juiced_zpswx2rtmic.jpg

This RDA has tight air flow, but it's not bad. It produces decent vapor and taste is good. The Big Dripper is a tank atop and RDA. Fill the tank, push down on the drip tip, and it releases juice over the coil(s). I think it could be better with more air flow options.
mounted_on_iStick100_zpsywcpa1yn.jpg

The Mutation X V4 Clone
I used twisted kanthal - stuff is a PITA to get tight. Note that the clone doesn't come with plugs for the bottom air holes but can be closed off by spinning the cover.
twisted_coil-adjusted_zpsv0bryo7r.jpg

Mounted on the cheap-as-dirt iStick 100. This RDA is great.
MutationX_iStick100_zpsockf60ca.jpg

Last edited:

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recommend anyone looking for a cloud rda or just another toy to get the Kennedy v4 off fast tech, basically the same thing as the fishbone people are talking about.
a965b87ed0d60c689e40bd16747557e9.jpg

I can't say anything bad about it. Glass top, so hotbox the piss out of it, no hot lip and tons, TONS of airflow. Best part, it is $5.35. I have a video if anyone questions this one. Amazing and cheap rda

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's awesome - I really love the glass top. The glass is the cheapest, too. Your broken post causes a little concern, for me, though... do you know who made that clone?

Out of the 3 RDA's I now own, the Black Horse is my favorite due to the fact is has so many air flow options . I can get it really tight or set it to wide open. And I get a more fulfilled sensation when I hit it. Can also get more vape time off of it than the Mutation X V4 before having to drip again... although I think I'm going to try a different style of wicking on the Mutation using the Z method (don't know if that's the correct term). As a side note, I see where there are complaints that the Mutation X V4 leaks... I don't even see how this is possible unless they are dumping juice in it. The Big Dripper really surprised me. I can see using it when I need to be discreet. I'm so thrilled right now I can hardly contain myself.

VU Sponsors