Become a Patron!

first one was fine.. now it's not!

hey everyone, so I'm just getting into RDA's and whatnot, I have a darkhorse clone that i run 26g kanthal on, 8 wrap @ .5. dual coils, with the whole horrorshow sitting ontop of a GX-200
built my first (successful) coils fine, everything checked out fine on the tester
built my 2nd..and 3rd..and 4th.. checked out fine. but they're roasting the crap out of my wicks (organic cotton)
it's really frustrating because frankly, I'm making nice coils now compared to my hideous (though functioning) first coil. there's no hotspots of unclipped wire that I'm seeing so what am i doing wrong?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Go bigger in Diameter.
Recheck the contact screws..
Wicks wet.

woops wrong thread. but i did check the screws, they're down tight enough that the wire won't shift or move or anything like that, wick was near dripping. could it be I'm using too much wick?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
you want slightly snug not choked out pulling the coils out of line tight.
Cotton swells slightly when wet.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cotton burns in ordinary mods. That's a fact of life. If you don't want that to happen, get a mod with temperature control. Before getting mine, I'd change the wick every day, if not more. I got so tired of it that I switched back to silica. In fact, silica is all I use in my non-TC mods.

VU Sponsors