Become a Patron!

First build, any suggestions for next time?

Church3232

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It took me forever to do this but I'm moderately satisfied. I'm still pretty clueless on how to calculate my ohms, so I basically just went with trial and error here until I got something that looked alrite. Its 26g duel coils with ten wraps per coil. As far as diameter I don't know, just used a set of mini screwdrivers to wrap on until I found a size that worked( they weren't labeled with sizes) it came out .8ish ohms. As far as I can tell its working but like I said its my first ever build so not realy sure if I did everything right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 46

MirkoGradski

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They look good. I suggest investing in an ohm meter. Eleaf has one, its only 10 bucks. I suggest investing in one. Your gonna want it when you start to build some wacky stuff. Trust me.

no doubt a clean build way better than my first but yes I would also recommend in an ohm meter and maybe a set of small drill bits therefore you know the diameter of the coil even though small screwdrivers work fine. great build

Church3232

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have an ohm reader, it's just Idon't really fully understand how to get to the target ohms yet. For this one literally just kept making coils then testing them on the ohms reader until I was satisfied.

Today I've noticed that on one of the coils the cotton is drying out much faster than the other? What could be the cause

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have an ohm reader, it's just Idon't really fully understand how to get to the target ohms yet. For this one literally just kept making coils then testing them on the ohms reader until I was satisfied.

Today I've noticed that on one of the coils the cotton is drying out much faster than the other? What could be the cause
Difference in resistance between the two coils. Which could be as simple as different lengths of the legs (wire between coil and posts)
For figuring out the coil build, I utilize http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp (check out the "how it works" and the other tabs)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
For your first build to take forever is normal and it is a job well done if it works well!

Before long, you will be able to do it in a matter of minutes while watching TV:D

Church3232

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the input, today I decided switch to a single coil since the duels were uneven. This time I went with I think 11 or 12 wraps on a smaller screwdriver.the coil came out much better and working with one rather than 2 was easier.

One mor question I had, is there a limit to how much cotton I can use? Like with a single coil I have tons of room, can I run a bunch of cotton they the coil and fill the space with the running ends, or does it become ineffective?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 28

dmize

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It took me forever to do this but I'm moderately satisfied. I'm still pretty clueless on how to calculate my ohms, so I basically just went with trial and error here until I got something that looked alrite. Its 26g duel coils with ten wraps per coil. As far as diameter I don't know, just used a set of mini screwdrivers to wrap on until I found a size that worked( they weren't labeled with sizes) it came out .8ish ohms. As far as I can tell its working but like I said its my first ever build so not realy sure if I did everything right.
Looks
This is my 1st build. I did it yesterday. It's a dual macro made with 24g kanthal @ .2 ohms. Took it to my local vape shop "Vapeology" to make sure it was safe. I can only take 2 second pulls it makes that much vapor. Maybe a single coil configuration would be something to consider. Oh yeah I used a 1/8 drill bit.image.jpg

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Looks

This is my 1st build. I did it yesterday. It's a dual macro made with 24g kanthal @ .2 ohms. Took it to my local vape shop "Vapeology" to make sure it was safe. I can only take 2 second pulls it makes that much vapor. Maybe a single coil configuration would be something to consider. Oh yeah I used a 1/8 drill bit.
Nicely done! Looks better than my first build over a year ago.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make sure you leave some space for air under the coil

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Did you dry fire the coils? If the leads going into the posts are uneven then the coils will not fire together. If the coils do fire together and one side still dries out before the other then part of the cotton may be kinked and it wont be wicking properly. Also-its much easier to place the coils if you dont use the two closest post holes. Put one leg in the negative post, skip the first hole in the positive post and use the far hole instead. It'll give you more room to wick and leave the coils sitting more towards the center. Good luck!! You're off to a fine start!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nicely done! Looks better than my first build over a year ago.
Fuck me it looks better than some builds I do now.
Some days I cannot roll a coil to save my vape ass... If I am coiling one and it turns out shit then I put it down and come back when the coil gods are smiling at me not shunning me.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Practice makes perfect. I have had to scrap lots of wire over the years

MirkoGradski

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks

This is my 1st build. I did it yesterday. It's a dual macro made with 24g kanthal @ .2 ohms. Took it to my local vape shop "Vapeology" to make sure it was safe. I can only take 2 second pulls it makes that much vapor. Maybe a single coil configuration would be something to consider. Oh yeah I used a 1/8 drill bit.View attachment 16229

Vapeology in Poughkeepsie?

Just Me

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This might help if you can blow it up I built my first one last night now to learn more

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Very nice especially for you first! I'd suggest trying less wraps and most importantly a thinner wrap. But that is just towards my preferable build type. Everyone has there own way they like to build

Also that looks like a very high ohm build. Mechanical work better I'm sub ohm category

eKo Vapors

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here is my twisted 24G with ribbon wrapped around itIMG_4472.JPG

VU Sponsors