Become a Patron!

firing short issues,help!

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I'm having some issues with my vape acting up. I have a mechanical mod, dotmod and petri atomizer. My issue is this: sometimes when I goto vape it will start to vape then cool in the middle of hitting, or the battery on the negative end IE the button gets hots, or it doesn't fire and battery heats, or it works just fine. I'm using 3 loop braided 30 gauge nichrome coils. Its very frustrating and started off just occasionally and has grown to very often. I've tried changing pins in the petri atomizer as it uses a floating pin. I've tried loosening the button a little, tightening the coil posts, changing the position of my finger to different spots on the button, and changing batteries. I even have a spare button and tried changing it. I use 35a mxjo and efest batteries and I never run them all the way dead. VERY FRUSTRATING! Could it be a short in my coils? I've read about mod shorts or atomizer shorts...any ideas?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hot button isn't caused by a short, quite the opposite.
The button either has a bad connection or is dirty and as a result it's resistance is higher.
The apart the button, clean all the parts and all the mod contacts, assemble it and make sure that it sits tight.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did so although the dirt was very minimal and pulled a couple Vapes. It worked good will report back in a bit. I did still feel the battery heating through the button. I cleaned the threads with a little saliva and a white t shirt, cleaned off the pin and button contact points and took the button apart and cleaned all I could get to.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it is the battery heating the button and not the button itself getting hot, I would advise against using that mod/atty/build.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I haven't specified or clarified whether it is the button itself or the battery. Will investigate more.when it does get hot it's sudden and at a specific hot spot in the button. I'm vaping it now will report

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It feels like the button. The battery doesn't feel hot. Doesn't help I've burnt my cotton. Ill freshen it up when I get home from work

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I haven't specified or clarified whether it is the button itself or the battery. Will investigate more.when it does get hot it's sudden and at a specific hot spot in the button. I'm vaping it now will report
I had this issue in my FM mod. Spring loaded switch? That spring wire is thin eh? I ditched that spring replaced it with a homemade spring (I actually used the center conduit from coaxial cable, wrapped a hefty copper spring) and haven't had an issue since. It's been months.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shoot me Some more information on that spring please, my spring is actually pretty decent..it ought to be for a $190 mod .it may actually be a coil issue. I've only had the whole setup just a few weeks I've had like 6 dry hits even with the cotton looking not dry.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Definitely the button heaTing. I actually smoked a cigarette for the first time in a month yuck! Ill switch coils when I get home. Hopefully that's it.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you own an ohm meter? I'm guessing no.

That shorted coil probably had your resistance super low with out you even knowing it, which puts you at risk of venting a battery.

Buy an ohm meter.

http://www.usaohmmeters.com

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I didn't have one I just got my ohm meter in. Not able to use that one though :( the petri atomizer has the floating pin so it won't screw into the meter.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good thing you didn't blow off your hand.
Get an ohm meter that works, or a multimeter.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone else using the petri dotmod atomizer with this meter or have a solid fix? IMG_20150503_103611.jpg

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah, I didn't realize that the petri was a 20x1 threaded atty. I assumed it had a 510 connector like most everything else. Sorry about that.

How'd ya manage to connect it to the meter?

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is a 510. This is what I call a newbie moment. The petri is a 3 piece Atty. I simply removed the cap and tip from the Atty and seen the 510 threading up in behind the pin :). Screwed it right in. So its reading a .139

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ahhhh, I see! Lol

Good to know, and glad you got it figured out. Pretty sure that 3rd piece with the spring loaded pin is technically the topcap to the battery tube, not the bottom of the Atty. :)

One thing though... That build is way too low for a single 18650 battery to safely handle. Despite what the labels on your batteries say, they are only 20 amp continuous cells. The "35" is a pulse rating and should not be used as a reference for our purposes. This is most likely why your mod has been getting too hot. The battery is being over-taxed.

For your safety's sake, you should stay above .25 or so unless you get an authentic Sony vtc 4 cell, or a parallel box that runs multiple batteries.

Last edited:

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even on the mxjo cells? It seems to vape a lot better now. I'm curious as to what crazy ohm my vertabraid was at :eek:

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, you're pushing your luck building under .25 ohms on those mxjo's. Regardless of what the battery wrapper says, those are 20amp continuous cells at best.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got some 22 guage nichrome I've been thinking of doing a standard 6 wrap with it I am growing tired of coils that are heating my unit.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Be safe and have fun. If you really find that you want to build lower than .25, consider picking up a box mod with two 18650's in parallel. That will increase your amp limit enough for the super subohm type builds. Honestly though, I've vaped at .13 and don't find it necessarily "better" than say a .3-.4 build. I get plenty of vapor and flavor at the .3-.4 range. My batteries hold their charge longer. I find that my cotton lasts waaay longer because I'm less likely to get a dry hit that causes the cotton inside the coil to smoulder away before I can redrip. I can take longer pulls before my lungs give out. Different strokes for different folks though. :)

VU Sponsors