Become a Patron!

FDA regs on batteries?

happy valley

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In another thread it was mentioned the FDA would also be concentrating it's regulation efforts on battery types commonly associated with vaping. I'd thought that would not be plausible given these type batteries have other applications, but who knows? What do you think?

Last edited:

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fully support it a song as cost doesn't sky rocket!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In another thread it was mentioned the FDA would also be concentrating it's regulation efforts on battery types commonly associated with vaping. I'd thought that would not be plausible given these type batteries have other applications, but who knows? What do you think?

It's not going to happen for the reason you mention. The consumer product safety commission and a few other agencies are already involved in battery safety due to complaints from other industries like cell phones. IEEE also I believe.

Mods OTOH are fair game. People who don't know much about vaping might call them batteries too, which could be confusing.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think at some point, it will be closed battery system mods only, as to many battery related accidents, they will have to much of a fight to take away the actual batteries, to many other products use the same batteries, even my yard lights use 18650's.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fully support it a song as cost doesn't sky rocket!

You're good with FDA regulation of lithium ion batteries? God god why, after what they are trying to do to the vape industry
facepalm.gif

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think they are really the people for the job.... but I am all for added safety. There's no way this industry will grow if retards are blowing themselves up and getting on the news. Agencies get involved and more publications go out about safe use. It's idiots of this world that are causing these types of actions. Companies need to be put in check before posted crap like 40A on batteries when they will blow up or vent at 18A as well....

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FDA cannot and will not be able to do any type of battery regulation, unless a battery seller is stupid enough to put the word 'vape' on the wrapper. It is totally beyond their authority.

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FDA cannot and will not be able to do any type of battery regulation, unless a battery seller is stupid enough to put the word 'vape' on the wrapper. It is totally beyond their authority.
True...good point

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was mentioned in passing, in another thread on a mod maker that has shifted it's focus onto producing batteries, 18650/26650.

http://vapingunderground.com/thread...ake-a-better-looking-mod.307155/#post-1599862

Had a quick look at that. I think Hohmtech may be a subsidiary of a battery company, but I could be way off base on that. Hopefully someone who knows more about them will chime in.

In any case, manufacturing batts isn't something I think too many vape companies are ever going to get into. IMO, don't worry about batteries :)

happy valley

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hohmtech may be a subsidiary of a battery company,

I have a number of their mods, but they are ostensibly a US based chip designer that has also reportedly gotten into battery chemistry formulation.

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The very last thing we need is more regulation. We need less regulation. A man should get by on his own hook, not by the leave of another.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
retards are blowing themselves up and getting on the news.
Call me ignorant, or not understanding this statement --- but how is it the fucking governments job to fix stupid? Hasn't the government "fixed" enough stupid already and caused even more problems in our society? I could come up with a number of "stupid fixes" they have meddled in. You know... like the gun jumping off my porch and shooting someone... "yup, that's what it did ossifer ... it jumped off the porch and shot him" We need to ban those types of guns because they are deadly and terrible things.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a number of their mods, but they are ostensibly a US based chip designer that has also reportedly gotten into battery chemistry formulation.

So do they manufacture batteries or have someone else build to their spec?

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Call me ignorant, or not understanding this statement --- but how is it the fucking governments job to fix stupid? Hasn't the government "fixed" enough stupid already and caused even more problems in our society? I could come up with a number of "stupid fixes" they have meddled in. You know... like the gun jumping off my porch and shooting someone... "yup, that's what it did ossifer ... it jumped off the porch and shot him" We need to ban those types of guns because they are deadly and terrible things.
True

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seems to me that what lithium ion battery regulation is out there now and whatever might get added in the foreseeable future is mostly due to other industry's issues with them. Cell phones, laptops, hoverboards, that kind of thing. Automotive must also be a really big deal in this but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

The vape industry is small potatoes here, but added regs could and IMO probably will eventually happen for batteries and battery control systems installed in mods.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am against any government involvement with vaping....... except for providing courts to settle disputes.

Feds job is to protect me from other countries and states.... not my choices.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Battery regulation is a good thing, though I don't think the FDA should be in charge of that.

While it's quite impossible to educate the public of what they need and what is safe, it would still be nice to have them limiting fakes and banning rewraps.

Last edited:

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good thing I don't plan on vaping anything with these batteries. These are for my flashlight. Those over there are for my RC drone. No, you may not see my drone. It's... in the shop. Yeah, that's it, in the shop.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Batteries per gov definitions is a MOD.
And per the new Cole Bishop bill if it passes it required DHHS to set regulations for vape batteries aka MODS.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And if the New Cole Bishop thing passes then I think it is the Dept of Health and Human services that will be regulating vape batteries.
the FDA will regulate all of the other vape stuff.

happy valley

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right, I get what one might have to do if the regs get tightened but I thought that would be relegated to toppers, mods and nic.

I assumed pg, vg, non-tobacco flavors, wire and batteries would be outside purview. The mention of batteries in this context makes no sense, IE: they will somehow be associated with vaping and thus regulated.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right, I get what one might have to do if the regs get tightened but I thought that would be relegated to toppers, mods and nic.

I assumed pg, vg, non-tobacco flavors, wire and batteries would be outside purview. The mention of batteries in this context makes no sense, IE: they will somehow be associated with vaping and thus regulated.
As long as it's not labeled as anything Vape related I don't see issues with getting any of that. But company's like "Lighting Vapes" or even "Cotton Bacon" will have issues. Since "Vape" is either in their name, in their description, etc.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as it's not labeled as anything Vape related I don't see issues with getting any of that. But company's like "Lighting Vapes" or even "Cotton Bacon" will have issues. Since "Vape" is either in their name, in their description, etc.
That is also how I see it.
Lightning vapes may have problems selling wire but Temco should be fine.
ECX may have problems selling flavorings but Bull City flavoring should be fine. Smart on the name change.
A battery with something like VapePower on the side may be an issue but an LG HG2 should not. Of course all will come with labels not to use with vaping.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is also how I see it.
Lightning vapes may have problems selling wire but Temco should be fine.
ECX may have problems selling flavorings but Bull City flavoring should be fine. Smart on the name change.
A battery with something like VapePower on the side may be an issue but an LG HG2 should not. Of course all will come with labels not to use with vaping.
Been talking to a few Juice manufacturers I know and a couple of them are looking into just selling their flavors as flavor shots. All we would have to do is supply the PG/VG and the nicotine. Just sell the flavor shots for what they are, food flavoring, FDA can our collective ass's.

Now for hardware like RDA's, Tanks and Mod's will be a bit more difficult. But seriously I think the key would be like what Fat Daddy is doing. It's for the Medical <banned word> Industry, that IMO is the avenue to go.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Batteries are considered tobacco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors