Favorite single coil setup?

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Although I mainly use dual coils, I've always been sort of partial to single coils due to them not drinking as much juice and being a little easier on my battery life. I normally vape between 0.12 - 0.2 ohms, so it's tough for me to find a single coil that I like that gets that low. I have some extra 20 and 22 gauge laying around, plus a ton of other size wire to play with.

What would you guys suggest for a single coil that can still bring the heat, density and vapor production? Preferably around 0.2 ohms or slightly lower.

not2coolguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
has anyone ever tried a 3 wire parallel coil instead of just using two? Just a thought, seems like you could go pretty low especially with 20g. As long as it fits in your post holes!

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't think the mephisto would have any problems ;]. Parallels tend to guzzle juice as well though. I've done single parallel tigers, 24g, and 28g and they all work awesome but they go dry fast.
I just did a single twisted 22g and it came to 0.18, and it's working well so far.

not2coolguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
wow that must hit like a beast! I'm thinking of trying a twisted 28g parallel on my magma clone tonight! currently running dual twisted 28g at .28 and the flavor is amazing. The magma is not a cloud machine, and this same build on my stillaire clone chucks 5x the vapor but seriously lacks the flavor. Im hoping the single parallel will help with vapor production but ill never know til i try!

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
has anyone ever tried a 3 wire parallel coil instead of just using two? Just a thought, seems like you could go pretty low especially with 20g. As long as it fits in your post holes!

ive seen guys wrap 5 wire parallels lol but then again i follow some crazy builders

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i only use single coils, but i only vape e-solids. below is a pic of my latest. its a stovetop coil sleeved in 2mm readyXwick. i call it the diamondback or snake coil because it reminds me of a coiled up snake. i am LOVING this coil! it sits on top of the posts directly under the drip tip. i replaced the stock phillips screws with set screws that provide more space above the posts. this allows for very easy filling/loading.
548y5Qm.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like the single coils, ya don't always need to have some kind of monster vape...especially for trying out flavors.

Here's my fave; just a simple twisted 33 kanthal coil in my IGO-L with cotton.

7dDpjn9l.jpg

When new.

SG8HQ5ql.jpg

After a few re-wickings. It's pretty sturdy.

3R7OsKfl.jpg

preston0714

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do a 24g and 30g twist then run them double parallel around 5 wraps.

UnrequitedAndrology

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Where do I put a top cap with two air holes in relation to a single coil build? One hole in front and the other opposite or both equidistant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saxguy9345

Member For 5 Years
My favorite build right now is single twisted 28ga, 5 wraps @ .5 ohms. Twisted coils have been so much more durable in my experience so far. Single strands used to gunk up and get fragile after a week, this coil is going on 2 weeks and still dry burns clean.

saxguy9345

Member For 5 Years
Where do I put a top cap with two air holes in relation to a single coil build? One hole in front and the other opposite or both equidistant?

I've seen people use a small square of elec/painters tape over the 2nd hole. Looks wonky but I can't think of a better way to do it unless you finger-plug every draw :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

The only atty I have that has that situation is my Pulse-G clone.
I just put a piece of scotch tape over the extra one when it's clean and dry. It'll stay put..

P1020059.JPG

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know the size of your air holes but I've seen people plug it up w/ a toothpick then snip/snap off the extra wood. When ur done just poke it out with another toothpick, nail, etc.

VU Sponsors