Become a Patron!

Fake or Real VTC5 battery?

I recently bought this 18650 battery from a store near me that sells vapes. After using it for a while I've noticed , on 2 different coils, I can't fire it over 35w on my 60w mod. I also noticed the battery life seems to be significantly short and dies in less than a day with moderate use. And finally the positive end has 4 gaps and I've noticed authentic VTC5s only have 3.

Is this authentic or just a rewrapped battery from another company? Also, I've looked all over online to find a battery similar to mine with no luck, there seems to be some key things that would make this battery authentic as well as things that couldnt.

http://imgur.com/a/2W4uM

Last edited:

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
from the pic i can confirm it is possibly a fake and new vtc5 would be 20amp.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I recently bought this 18650 battery from a store near me that sells vapes. After using it for a while I've noticed , on 2 different coils, I can't fire it over 35w on my 60w mod. I also noticed the battery life seems to be significantly short and dies in less than a day with moderate use. And finally the positive end has 4 gaps and I've noticed authentic VTC5s only have 3.

Is this authentic or just a rewrapped battery from another company? Also, I've looked all over online to find a battery similar to mine with no luck, there seems to be some key things that would make this battery authentic as well as things that couldnt.

http://imgur.com/a/2W4uM
Good thing the mod is smart enough to keep you from blowing your face off. Trash that battery Sonys are the most counterfeited battery out there. Liionwholesale is the only place I'd recommend buying a Sony from.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good thing the mod is smart enough to keep you from blowing your face off. Trash that battery Sonys are the most counterfeited battery out there. Liionwholesale is the only place I'd recommend buying a Sony from.

Actually, depending on the internal resistance of the battery it could be that the voltage sag is so bad that the battery just reads as dead.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Actually, depending on the internal resistance of the battery it could be that the voltage sag is so bad that the battery just reads as dead.
I'm sure that's whats going on. I was being facetious not literal.. my bad

Yes, it does actually read dead after a short amount of time of use, thankfully. Should I confront that store about this slick move they made on me?

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, it does actually read dead after a short amount of time of use, thankfully. Should I confront that store about this slick move they made on me?

This has happened to me before. I bought a pair of VTC4s from a shop (at $18 a pop!) that turned out to be fakes. I simply informed the shop owner that I was concerned that they'd been sold fakes. It's probable that the shop owner doesn't know he's selling fakes. The VTC series is highly counterfeited.

This has happened to me before. I bought a pair of VTC4s from a shop (at $18 a pop!) that turned out to be fakes. I simply informed the shop owner that I was concerned that they'd been sold fakes. It's probable that the shop owner doesn't know he's selling fakes. The VTC series is highly counterfeited.
Hmm ok, I think that's what I'll do is just inform them about it. Sucks though because getting these batteries from local stores is quite expensive, especially when you trust the quality of it!

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm ok, I think that's what I'll do is just inform them about it. Sucks though because getting these batteries from local stores is quite expensive, especially when you trust the quality of it!

Indeed. This sort of stuff is why I only buy from liionwholesale.com anymore. Jon batch tests his shipments before he stocks them. Also, I've seen from blogs and test results that he's been working with Mooch which is quite the relief. Also, the prices are fantastically better than local shops.

Just an observation. .im just a regular vaper,got good batteries from Jon at Liion..read the blogs when I have time..one small question.which mode saves my battery life (daily,overall)? Temp control @450° - 500°@ 40w or power mode

VU Sponsors