Become a Patron!

FA Nonna's Cake Recipes

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you like saffron you should really try it. Be careful it's quite potent and becomes stronger with steeping. I will be adding it to nonnas cake soon, I think it will make an excellent combination.

I'll mix some stand alone today. Maybe say...1% ?

Your fine idea to adding saffron to cake got me wandering... I did find a saffron lemon poundcake recipe on a food internet site that looked tasty. If only somebody would make a vape flavor similar to lemon poundcake! :D:D:D

Ron
---
SAFFRON LEMON POUNDCAKE
http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_2/2008/MAY/22389.html

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll mix some stand alone today. Maybe say...1% ?

Your fine idea to adding saffron to cake got me wandering... I did find a saffron lemon poundcake recipe on a food internet site that looked tasty. If only somebody would make a vape flavor similar to lemon poundcake! :D:D:D

Ron
---
SAFFRON LEMON POUNDCAKE
http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_2/2008/MAY/22389.html
There's a current thread where people are raving about Inawera Lemon Cake - sounds like what you're looking for!

jant

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's a current thread where people are raving about Inawera Lemon Cake - sounds like what you're looking for!
I have been looking for Lemon cake can't find it anywhere if they carry it at all it is sold out...........any idea where it can be found ?

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
While I have no experience with them, they've got a beautiful online catalog. The flavorings are priced somewhat higher than forum favorite vendors but I found NF Honey Roasted flavor there. New to me, honey roasting sounds good to me so I'm in. Thanks, jant!

When I looked, I didn't see Nonna's Cake however ... did you find it SC?

jant

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
While I have no experience with them, they've got a beautiful online catalog. The flavorings are priced somewhat higher than forum favorite vendors but I found NF Honey Roasted flavor there. New to me, honey roasting sounds good to me so I'm in. Thanks, jant!
you're welcome

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
thanks for the link I just ordered it from there they still have 11 left.............

Not anymore!

I placed an order there.:) With the monthly discount code and the drool factor, I felt it was the right thing to do.

BTW I have a domestic shipping item sitting at the Chicagostan USPS location for the past 5 days. Unusual for anything to be there that long. Heck, it needs only to go out to me in suburbia...

Ron
----
"I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else."- Lily Tomlin

Raspberry Cream Charlotte

2% Fresh Cream (FA)
0.75% Joy (FA)
2% Lemon Sicily (FA)
1% Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed) (FA)
0.5% Madagascar (Vanilla Classic) (FA)
2% Nonna's Cake (FA)
1.5% Raspberry (FA)
1% Whipped Cream (TPA)
2% Yogurt (FA)

Flavor total: 12.75%

TOC'S Strawberry Shortcake
3% Cornish cream tea (FA)
2% Marshmallow (FA)
2% Nonna's Cake (FA)
3% Red Touch (Strawberry) (FA)
2% Vienna Cream (FA)

Nonna cake has just arrived today. I live in the U.K. Smells great. I received banana and nut mix as well and these three are getting mixed up tonight.

jant

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So did I. Still no tracking update since it arrived in Chicago on the 26th. Have you received yours yet?
no mine has been sitting there since the 24 of feb.....as of today still sitting there

Menthol

Member For 4 Years
As soon as my Capella order arrives ill be having a play with a doughnut mix with equal parts from all the doughnuts
then ill see where it takes me.

I'll be starting with the following, % wise ill start at 2%
Capella Glazed Doughnut
Capella Chocolate Glazed Doughnut
The Flavor Apprentice Frosted Donut
FlavourArt Joy
FlavourArt Nonna's,
FA Raspberry or Strawberry % ? or even a custard, You can get it in doughnuts so why not in mine lol.

if anyone thinks of anything that i could add or change chime in.

Thanks.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We're looking forward to your reports unless you want to invite us to your playground.:D
LOL I mixed up a couple of recipes today - waiting for a few days!

I did try the Nonna's cake at 3%, fresh (80% VG) - it was ok, but not something I'd bother to vape alone. I can see, though, that it could be outstanding in a mix, and no doubt better when it's sat more than 10 minutes LOL. I also bought a few of their mixed concentrates that we don't see over here - reports to follow:D

jant

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did notice that the prices were higher, but the 30ml.seemed lower and they do have some interesting flavors ............

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
LOL I mixed up a couple of recipes today - waiting for a few days!

I did try the Nonna's cake at 3%, fresh (80% VG) - it was ok, but not something I'd bother to vape alone. I can see, though, that it could be outstanding in a mix, and no doubt better when it's sat more than 10 minutes LOL. I also bought a few of their mixed concentrates that we don't see over here - reports to follow:D

That was my initial reaction with nonnas cake....though I waited more than 10mins. The 10ml bottle I made up it grew on me the more i vaped it standalone (4% myself). Like you, the excitement of it was more "I could put this in this mix, that mix, oooo and that mix" rather than what is a good flavour all in itself. I have about 15 recipes with nonnas cake in all steeping at the moment :) Im in the UK and personally, wouldnt get excited about the mix concentrates. I bought a couple (when first using FA as was a bit dim and didnt realise, e.g bought custard pi instead of the actual custard), they are all from what I can see basic and maybe or maybe not aimed at beginners who arent ready to make there own recipes, its good of them that they even list some of the recipes though. The UK Flavour Art site is ran superbly I have to say within the UK, never had one problem with an order at all.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Cornish Cream Tea is dead on at 8% (I noticed in the UK forums most make it at 10%). It's as writtten in the recipe on the FA website, and very good! I did let it sit for 3 days to 'mature' which bought it to life. I'll have to make enough I can leave it even longer just to see what it does :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just reading on another forum that at least a couple of people are tasting lemon and pine in nonnas cake. I'm really hoping I won't be one of those. I jumped on the joy craze and ended up hating it.
There is lemon in the nonna's cake, but I'm thinking it will fade after a few days (the UK people say even the lemon fades from custard after 2 weeks). It's not strong, but it's definitely there standalone.

newyork13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Boy, I hope not. I've never tasted pine and never hope to. Something to scrub your toilets with.
Lemon is quite common in Italian desserts. Pine, never. As one of Italian descent, I can't think of a flavor used in desserts that remotely resembles pine.
But, once I get a taste of Nonna I'll let you all know.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No pine to me, just a slight lemon. I haven't let it steep yet.

Exactly the same experience here. I'm sensitive to pine and sense none....so far.

Ron
---
"People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk."- Stephen King

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Boy, I hope not. I've never tasted pine and never hope to. Something to scrub your toilets with.
Lemon is quite common in Italian desserts. Pine, never. As one of Italian descent, I can't think of a flavor used in desserts that remotely resembles pine.
But, once I get a taste of Nonna I'll let you all know.
I'm pretty sure its pine nuts not Pine Sol Lol

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The ones that said they tasted pine, didn't say pine nuts.... just pine.
Weird because HIC mentioned pine nuts. Here's the god damned recipe for Nonna's cake. Lol

Ingredients
Pastry:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg plus 2 yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons sweet butter and 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, melted together
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Filling:
2 cups fresh ricotta (sheep's milk is best)
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup sugar
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3 eggs

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...a-nonna-grandmas-cake-recipe.html?oc=linkback

VU Sponsors