Become a Patron!

Evidence for harm reduction in COPD smokers who switch to electronic cigarettes

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes vaping as opposed to smoking seems to help those suffering from COPD as reported by a few on here.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Outstanding, truly. I love how their evidence shows that "ECs" have a much better success rate in promoting and helping retain smoking cessation. A bunch of US already know that, but now maybe some of the know-it-all medical folk will start to see that too.

Andria

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Did anyone else notice this tidbit buried in the text?
Our observation of a 2-years abstinence rate of about 50% in a population, albeit small, that generally responds poorly to smoking cessation efforts is one of the highest ever reported in smoking cessation literature.

ETA. It seems Andria alluded to it.
:)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The thing that none of them seem to want to recognize at all is that smoking addiction is a chemical addiction in only a small way; lord knows, BT has done everything possible to promote that chemical dependency, and some of it is simply nature, since MAOIs are naturally-occurring in tobacco, and I found that a FAR more profound addiction than the nicotine.... but that it's mostly a BEHAVIORAL addiction. They appear to believe that behavior is something that anyone can change, anytime, at the drop of a hat, and that is just not the case, else why would there be so damn many therapists who specialize in that field? When you get used to doing a certain thing 400 or more times a day (20x20=400; if you take an avg of 20 puffs per cigarette and smoke a pk a day), for DECADES, as STRESS RELIEF, that behavior (and need for that behavior) is not going to just fall away because you start receiving ONE of the chemicals in a different fashion.

If NRT had a version that included WTA, it might be SLIGHTLY more effective, but the deeply-ingrained behavior would still not be addressed, and so regular NRT would STILL be less successful than vaping.

I have a brand-new vaper here right now, my son who's moved back home; today will make his 5th day smoke-free, and he ALREADY knows that vaping REALLY WORKS; he says that the only time he has any real "craving" is for that first one in the morning, but even that one is easily ignored, thx to vaping, and thru the day, anytime he thinks of smoking, he vapes, and forgets all about wanting to smoke. Now granted, he's got excellent support/mentoring (a 3+ yr vaper with an abundance of good hardware and the ability to make any ejuice he wants!), but still... if someone just 5 days in can see this goldarned OBVIOUS fact, there is just no excuse for all the ANTZ simply ignoring it.

Andria

VU Sponsors