Become a Patron!

English!... Do you speak it?!

Spydrummer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello vapers! I've been reading some posts on here over the past 42 or so and I have come to three very certain conclusions: I really like this forum, I love that there's a shit-slinging section, and some of the writing from my fellow vapers and forum members is quite difficult to understand. I will tell you all that I am from Mississippi and that I do not have very good grammar or spelling skills, but please allow me a moment to bitch and plea to you all, who I love and care about, to please write instructional and technical posts with some amount of proof reading and tact.

DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME, however, I am not complaining about typical bullshit posts. I am saying this: if you want to positively contribute technical or instructional content to these forums please do a better job than china! It doesn't have to be perfect, or even great, but it HAS to be understandable. The information dealing with batteries and resistance and mechs is important and could be dangerous information if it isn't properly understood.

New comers into vaping seem to always be getting WAY ahead of themselves, the questions I've seen new folk ask are always the result of lack of good information from the start and impatience on the newbs' part to get to build "sick as tits" setups.

Just do better than china.

If I have an easier time understanding the instructions on a battery charger from fasttech than your tutorial for a beginner- What's more dangerous? If I can't understand it, a beginner certainly cannot.

Feel free to ignore this, to complain about me feeling this way, whatever. Just remember that I'm not talking about typical posts, like the ones which will surely follow here. I'm talking about technical and informative posts. I feel much better having said that, thank you for the opportunity and place to do my bitching, Enjoy your day!

Happy Vaping,
Spydrummer

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I do understand the frustrations. It's the txt-speak and slang of a young generation raised on the Internet that can be a bit "meh" sometimes. I'm guilty of it too here and there.

Browsers do have spell-check, but basic vocabulary and sentence structure would be nice as well. I guess I was raised when that sort of thing mattered more than it does now, on-line at least. Especially important, IMHO, when doing a review or a technical post.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
Here here kind sir. Plus 1 from me. Even casual chat should be somewhat concise. Let's face it, even with a poor typist how much harder is it to type what over wut?

Spydrummer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Absolutely to you both, I was building computers and hanging out in forums/ playing first person shooters when L33t speak began, pre-LOL. I use all sorts of shorthand and metaphor and have a high tolerance for terrible English. Just not in "informative" texts.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Absolutely to you both, I was building computers and hanging out in forums/ playing first person shooters when L33t speak began, pre-LOL. I use all sorts of shorthand and metaphor and have a high tolerance for terrible English. Just not in "informative" texts.

BBS FTW? :D

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bitch rant heard. my Retort :p I personally hate grammar but will use it sometimes. Grammar police i am not. Spelling thanks god for built in spell check otherwise, you would really hate me.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
249967_291235050979802_2129131584_n_large.jpg

images
8c988bc9c6d2052451e8323464289ecb.jpg

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
@Train I'm stealing that top one for my Facebook page. Maybe a few people will catch the hint!

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am the king of the run on sentence.
I was told a comma when ever you take a breath.
Guess I don't breath much.

But point well spoken or is that posted.
I am older and getting a mild case of oldtimers. I have to reread and look at my spelling and make sure words are right and not out of place. Typing is slower than thoughts so somethings are left out or missing keys.
I just go back and correct if possible, that is if the brain does not lock out.
If that happens I just cancel the post until I can write it correctly.

see king of the run on...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I down with speaking and writing in English. It's the only language I know. (i can decipher written Spanish to some extent)

With that being said allow me to list my skills from high school:
1) english-9 Failed, made up the next year in night school
2) english-10 Failed, made up the next year in night school
3) english-11 Failed, made up the next year in night school
4) english-12 Failed, did not graduate on stage. made up that summer in summer school

For those of you that were not in high school before the internet existed let me explain some of these alien terms:

Night School: When you failed a class in regular school you would go to school after regular school at around 6pm for 2 hours a day 2 days a week the following year to make up the class.
As long as you showed up, it didn't even matter how stoned you were you still passed (because your parents paid $160 for you to go)

Summer School: The easiest of the schools. You went to school in the summer for 1 class, 4 hours straight a day for 6 weeks.
You only failed if you missed more than 3 classes.
The last day of summer school the principal went through to make sure we were all there to do our 'final exam'.
The 'teacher' hadn't taught us anything and just let us screw around for the 6 weeks.
The 'teacher' told us to pretend like we were doing something when the principal looked in on us.
Our grading system was: 0 days absent = A, 1 day absent = B, 2 days absent = C, 3 days absent = D, 4 Days Absent = You Failed
I mostly played cards with my 3 other fuck up friends that failed english12.
English12 (the summer school edition) was the only time I ever received an "A" in English in all 12 years of school,
I had a car by then and I picked up the other 3 fuck ups and drove them there each day.

To sum this up. If I forget to use punctuation or have a run on sentence:
Deal with it or don't read my posts. I NEVER learned English and I am self taught.

BUT you will never see me telling someone to run a coil at .6 ohms and accidentally put .06 or something stupid like that.

Last edited:

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

Ahaha .. this all day. The only thing that I ask is that anyone who wishes to articulate their thoughts at length, please use proper punctuation, complete sentences, and last, but certainly not least, PLEASE USE PARAGRAPHS!

There is nothing worse than clicking on a thread, and finding an OP that is one huge block of mumbo, jumbo text! :mad::mad:

DB Cigs

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
plus one to the op. Proper English is certainly beneficial to the neophyte Vaper,when it comes to understanding the tech talk in an instructional post.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a certain danger in going all lowest-common-denominator in the same sense that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Having said that, Explain It To Me Like I'm Five works for me, as long as any necessary technical details are still present for those of us who understand them. *COUnotmeGH*

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Andriod (swype) devices do the same. I messaged my girlfriend about a week ago and tried to tell her that "I'm in the car on the way to your house".
She got "I'm in the cat on the way to your mouse"! :)

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel quite strong about this subject. There's always at least two sides to an argument. Sometimes I teach and not everyone is fortunate to be a good learner whatever methods you use to include their learning styles. Some just haven't found someone good enough to teach them yet. Some dyslexic adults had to endure schools with no awareness of their learning needs. It's rather like being left handed rather than right handed. It's simply a case of requiring material and techniques that aren't the used by the majority.

There's some highly successful and very rich designers, musicians, entrepreneurs and many more who can't read a sheet of music, a line of text and so on. Fortunately VU includes everyone. My friend can hardly spell his own name but give him an engine and he's a whizz! My bestie has dyslexia, doesn't spell to well but is a brilliant 3D designer. If you really don't like it that a member doesn't write good enough for you then get over yourself.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I feel quite strong about this subject. There's always at least two sides to an argument. Sometimes I teach and not everyone is fortunate to be a good learner whatever methods you use to include their learning styles. Some just haven't found someone good enough to teach them yet. Some dyslexic adults had to endure schools with no awareness of their learning needs. It's rather like being left handed rather than right handed. It's simply a case of requiring material and techniques that aren't the used by the majority.

There's some highly successful and very rich designers, musicians, entrepreneurs and many more who can't read a sheet of music, a line of text and so on. Fortunately VU includes everyone. My friend can hardly spell his own name but give him an engine and he's a whizz! My bestie has dyslexia, doesn't spell to well but is a brilliant 3D designer. If you really don't like it that a member doesn't write good enough for you then get over yourself.

I am a very good hands on learner. If I am shown how to do something once I will remember how to do it forever.

I was unfortunate enough to have a real 'space cadet' of an English teacher.

Even though I failed her class the year before and was in the process of making it up in night school the school still stuck me right back in her class.

3 years in a row I failed English but was given the same teacher.

This would now be considered a conflict of interest or not 'PC' and I would have been given a different teacher after failing the first time.

In the late 80's/early 90's nobody seemed to care and there were no such things as dyslexia and other learning disabilities.

Kids were just labeled as 'dumb' or 'bad' and were sent off to night school to pass without doing anything but paying $160.00 per class.

My high school English teacher was so brilliant she managed to lock herself in the closet after school ended. TWICE!!!

Her husband taught social studies and I passed that and every other class except hers.

By 12th grade when I finally got a new teacher I didn't have any English skills and about a 0% chance of passing.

I paid my way through English 9, 10, and 11 so how could I possibly pass English 12?

In conclusion for not learning how to properly write and other English skills (I always was a good speller) I don’t think I am all that bad at it.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am a very good hands on learner. If I am shown how to do something once I will remember how to do it forever.

I was unfortunate enough to have a real 'space cadet' of an English teacher.

Even though I failed her class the year before and was in the process of making it up in night school the school still stuck me right back in her class.

3 years in a row I failed English but was given the same teacher.

This would now be considered a conflict of interest or not 'PC' and I would have been given a different teacher after failing the first time.

In the late 80's/early 90's nobody seemed to care and there were no such things as dyslexia and other learning disabilities.

Kids were just labeled as 'dumb' or 'bad' and were sent off to night school to pass without doing anything but paying $160.00 per class.

My high school English teacher was so brilliant she managed to lock herself in the closet after school ended. TWICE!!!

Her husband taught social studies and I passed that and every other class except hers.

By 12th grade when I finally got a new teacher I didn't have any English skills and about a 0% chance of passing.

I paid my way through English 9, 10, and 11 so how could I possibly pass English 12?

In conclusion for not learning how to properly write and other English skills (I always was a good speller) I don’t think I am all that bad at it.
Yup! And it's the ones from school in the 80's/early 90's that are still looking down on those who didn't get the right opportunities. There are so many stories like this.

You said: My high school English teacher was so brilliant she managed to lock herself in the closet after school ended. TWICE!!!

So you're still not owning up to that then :p

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i pride myself on proper grammar and spelling, but i don't use capitalization much. does that bother anyone?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
< ...... I am saying this: if you want to positively contribute technical or instructional content to these forums please do a better job than china! />

What if they're Chinese?

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am a teacher, and outside of school I try really hard not to think too much! Lol that being said I am guilty of not proof reading my own posts, and as my kids call it, I fat finger the key board on my phone, my ipad mini and my galaxy tablet. According to them it results in some funny texts at times, but then again I am not on here writing technical how tos!

Last edited:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am a teacher, and outside of school I try really hard not to think too much! Lol that being said I am guilty of not proof reaqding my own posts, and as my kids call it, I fat finger the key board on my phone, my ipad mini and my galaxy tablet. According to them it results in some funny texts at times, but then again I am not on here writing technical how tos!
But praise The Lord for edit, right?

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
! No kidding, the ipad does it automatically and the galaxy doesnt. When the kids make fun of my text I tell them, sorry we dont spell words that hard in 2nd grade lol!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Apple devices Damwow have the ghost of Steve Jobs in them. If you don't try to spell properly it'll work. If you try, well he changes it for a laugh lol

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Love it I will use that excuse with my kids next time they make fun of their old mama!

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I failed college level English class 3 times, 3 different teachers. I changed schools and passed the first time without issue.

I TRY to use proper punctuation, good spelling, and good grammar. Sometimes I fail miserably at all 3. If it looks like I typed with my forehead, I probably did, and passed out at the laptop, or one or more of the cats waddled across the keyboard and typed the way cats do, if I can fix it I will.

The posts that bother me most are the ones that I have to highlight sections of, to read long run on paragraphs, even with punctuation, it just hurts my brain. Enter to break up commonly tied thoughts. There are a few posts that I've read and asked "what the eff are they talking about?" and if I have to ask that question I probably won't answer.

Vapo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i pride myself on proper grammar and spelling, but i don't use capitalization much. does that bother anyone?
I pride myself in hoping I can do good enough that most people might understand what I write without having to say "whud u sey?" I promise to never say a word about your capitalization if you say nothing of my run on sentences, lack of comma's, misplaced comma's, misspelled words and bad paragraph breaks...other than that I'm fine and so are you, capital or not.

It would be a good thing for folks to do their best when responding to technical stuff. It might keep some from testing their newly made coil on their tongue when testing it....just sayin, ya know?

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am a teacher, and outside of school I try really hard not to think too much! Lol that being said I am guilty of not proof reading my own posts, and as my kids call it, I fat finger the key board on my phone, my ipad mini and my galaxy tablet. According to them it results in some funny texts at times, but then again I am not on here writing technical how tos!

I'm glad you said it, I was really hoping you didn't teach English. :p

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I doood me besties wen I rite somting.

I efen goes bac to kerrect mi misttaces.

Ken U doo bettters#

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I pride myself in hoping I can do good enough that most people might understand what I write without having to say "whud u sey?" I promise to never say a word about your capitalization if you say nothing of my run on sentences, lack of comma's, misplaced comma's, misspelled words and bad paragraph breaks...other than that I'm fine and so are you, capital or not.

It would be a good thing for folks to do their best when responding to technical stuff. It might keep some from testing their newly made coil on their tongue when testing it....just sayin, ya know?

yeah...i know ;)

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm glad you said it, I was really hoping you didn't teach English. :p
Actually English is one of my strong subjects!!! But honestly, I hate how these smart devices auto correct things and they end up coming out worse sometimes!!! :oops:

Vapo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I doood me besties wen I rite somting.

I efen goes bac to kerrect mi misttaces.

Ken U doo bettters#
Ifen et heps ewe ahnd Iah no et heped mi, tri Huked Un Foniks, ets ah prograham thet wurks ahnd well lerned ya reel guud.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
BOOGER!

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor