Become a Patron!

Element Vape

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What’s up with Element Vape’s site? We need to take a picture of our ID now? Is this gonna start happening everywhere? I don’t plan on sending my ID to God knows who... There are surely other avenues to take to confirm our age.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never had to upload my ID for Element and have been ordering from them for a couple+ years. But if there are policy changes that require it, I'm with you. No, I will not compromise my identity to that extent, and will pursue other options or go without before I'll do that. The last four of your social is bad enough, but I'll disclose no more than that.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've never had to upload my ID for Element and have been ordering from them for a couple+ years. But if there are policy changes that require it, I'm with you. No, I will not compromise my identity to that extent, and will pursue other options or go without before I'll do that. The last four of your social is bad enough, but I'll disclose no more than that.

I'm the opposite and refuse to divulge any numbers from my SSN - guess we are all different from what we consider an intrusion

You can block out your DLN on your ID when verifying your age

This isn't aimed at you specifically, just as general info

The trouble is- all vape vendors are required to verify your age - and if they do not are courting trouble with the FDA and possibly state authorities depending on where they are located

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But if I've ordered from someone for over three years, I shouldn't have to prove anything.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm the opposite and refuse to divulge any numbers from my SSN - guess we are all different from what we consider an intrusion

You can block out your DLN on your ID when verifying your age

This isn't aimed at you specifically, just as general info

The trouble is- all vape vendors are required to verify your age - and if they do not are courting trouble with the FDA and possibly state authorities depending on where they are located
I do not give out any personal info to buy something on the net beyond name, address and CC info.
If they want it I do not buy from there.
Plus it is damned inconvenient for those of us that do not use 'smart' phones.

and most places only ask for it after they have all your other info including CC info.
Damned sneaky of them if you ask me.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I do not give out any personal info to buy something on the net beyond name, address and CC info.
If they want it I do not buy from there.
Plus it is damned inconvenient for those of us that do not use 'smart' phones.

and most places only ask for it after they have all your other info including CC info.
Damned sneaky of them if you ask me.

Sometimes they cannot verify your age through public records they can see which are associated with your payment method - I don't see it as sneaky - inconvenient and off putting, very

How else do you propose they keep underage kids from ordering Juuls and running afoul of the FDA?

I don't agree with it but see it as less intrusive than those bastards that were demanding our SSN numbers after 8/16

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've not had any problems with Element in the past, but the last site I tried to buy batteries from a couple weeks due to a sale, they wanted a picture of my license. Naturally I told them to stick the batteries up their ass. The next day they sent me an email apologizing, and mailed the (4) batteries free along with free shipping. Apparently they want future business, which they will not receive from me.

I bought a couple items from Element a couple months ago too, they didn't ask for anything. If I remember correctly, after inputting CC info, the site kinda locked for a few seconds and the sale went through. I assume they have software to detect age.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A picture of a license proves nothing anyway. Any kid can sneak a license out of mom's/dad's wallet long enough to scan it to their pc, then return it safely from where it came. It's as ludicrous as the pop-ups on any vape site that ask you if you're 18 or older, check yes or no.

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Apparently it’s a new and one-time thing. I just closed the page. I don’t mind someone looking at my ID, but I’m not gonna snap a pic and send it to anyone. Nope. I’ll shop somewhere else.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sometimes they cannot verify your age through public records they can see which are associated with your payment method - I don't see it as sneaky - inconvenient and off putting, very

How else do you propose they keep underage kids from ordering Juuls and running afoul of the FDA?

I don't agree with it but see it as less intrusive than those bastards that were demanding our SSN numbers after 8/16
The sneaky part was not warning up front and waiting till you had all your info in there including payment method.
And no option to cancel order if you do not want to submit a photo ID.

I ordered a battery charger a while back to replace one given to grandson.
I did not do the photo ID thing and just dropped out with no way to cancel order.

The order still went thru...
I would have to check back to see who it was with, not Element vape though.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you get the charger, or a refund? That's weird and sucks at the same time.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
California requires it, that's where they at. Other vendors even out of state shipping to CA, will give you a phone call, since its required by law/state law?

If you contact their support they will find a other way of proving your age, if you don't like ID. Of course its a hassle and I see why you not want too shop there, but that's California for you.

State gets dumber by the minute and there's nothing too stop them. Its time for people like me, that don't have the virus, as well as businesses to get out of CA asap.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When ID is required I send a redacted document which has nothing but DOB everything else is blacked out like one of the releases from the Gubbermend.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The sneaky part was not warning up front and waiting till you had all your info in there including payment method.
And no option to cancel order if you do not want to submit a photo ID.

I ordered a battery charger a while back to replace one given to grandson.
I did not do the photo ID thing and just dropped out with no way to cancel order.

The order still went thru...
I would have to check back to see who it was with, not Element vape though.
Happened with Lightning Vapes for me, and it was a charger too. I closed the page, ignored email links to upload ID, then wudda ya know, my next email was for verification of shipment. :rolleyes:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Instead of closing go to the cart and edit it so there is nothing ordered next time.

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered from Element a few times in 2017 and had no difficulties. I tried to order from them back at the beginning of this year and they wanted the pic of my drivers license to prove my age. Mind you, I'm 64 years old and I haven't been *carded* in over 40 years. I'm not sending anyone private info like this so they lost me as a customer right then and there. I would bet that they are selling this info to spammers and IMHO this is a piss poor business decision. It's too bad for them as it seems like a lot of folks are taking umbrage with this policy. I had an email exchange with them and even though they were apologetic, they would not relent on the i.d. thing. They have good pricing and availability on many vaping items I am interested in but I just will not cave in to their idiotic demands.

Element Vape, I hope you are tracking this thread or that it comes to your attention. This is not the first time I've seen you called out in public about this. You are losing a lot of customers due to this poor business practice. Your assurances that you will keep this important info private leaves me quite unimpressed. Shape up or you will be on the ash heap of failed businesses. There are too many other competittive vendors to spend my hard earned money with for you to continue alienating your customers like this.

MikeDommy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’m not faulting EV for asking for this info, but I just don’t know who may see my info who may have bad intentions. Not necessarily concerned with who’s going to sell it to 3rd parties. I can hand a Doctor’s office or other important places my info, but for vaping related stuff, I have the option to shop elsewhere.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I placed an order with Element on Friday the 11th and had no issues at all.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just send something like this and be done

1*uvMjBCHpBhnZlQmH_NFqsw.png

VU Sponsors