Become a Patron!

eGo Leaks

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Day Device, what I vape with while at work is an eGo and I have several Kanger Mini Protank 2's filled with different juices for variety through the day.

One started flooding today and thought the coil came loose so I removed it and blew through it and the rest of my juice was gone. So I loaded another tank and Ill be damned if it didnt do it again.

So I loaded a Protank 2 on it and that started leaking. What is going on? Has my eGo battery become defective ruining my tanks? What can I do to fix the issue?

Thanks all.

Simply Newt

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My Day Device, what I vape with while at work is an eGo and I have several Kanger Mini Protank 2's filled with different juices for variety through the day.

One started flooding today and thought the coil came loose so I removed it and blew through it and the rest of my juice was gone. So I loaded another tank and Ill be damned if it didnt do it again.

So I loaded a Protank 2 on it and that started leaking. What is going on? Has my eGo battery become defective ruining my tanks? What can I do to fix the issue?

Thanks all.

Simply Newt

Crappy coil heads. I suggest getting a new pack of them, 1.5 ohm.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't think there's any logical way your battery could cause this. I would do a closer inspection of your tanks. Was your juice hot? That can thin the juice and make it leak in some scenarios. I haven't used ProTanks, but I'm very familiar with eGos.

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I don't think your eGo is the problem.

Sometimes you can get a batch of bad heads. Also remember that when you remove the base for filling, you can loosen the head at the same time so you should always check to make sure the head is finger tight before sealing it back up.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had an ego that started killing my aspire tanks, went through four of them and had replaced the coils in each one three times before I threw the ego into the recycle bin, replaced the coils again and used on a new ego pen, they worked fine. Not sure what happened, but I think the ego was sending out to much power and frying the seals fast. I should of put a voltage meter on it now that i think about it, could of at least gauged what was pumping out of the ego pen.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It could be the base. I had that that problem with mine and I thought it was the coils also Then the guy put my coil on his base and it was fine. But mine was a clone. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it is the base also. It doesn't say eGo anywhere on it yet I was told that it was an eGo when I purchased the starter kit. This would be the 2nd fake purchase I have had since I started Vaping 2 weeks ago.

Nothing like taking advantage of a newbie in the BM.

Simply Newt

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think it is the base also. It doesn't say eGo anywhere on it yet I was told that it was an eGo when I purchased the starter kit. This would be the 2nd fake purchase I have had since I started Vaping 2 weeks ago.

Simply Newt
Don't let your bad experiences so far deter you. If you're vaping to give up cigarettes, I hope you find something that works for you. There are a ton of people here willing to help however possible, and it sounds like you may want to order online from now on. LoL. That's how the shops are around here. $10 or more for a dang 10ml bottle. Ridonkulous!

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ego is a term used for all smaller internal battery units with the male threaded ends. All work reasonably the same IMO. I moved on from using them now, my wife still likes them so she took them all over from me lol. I have 3 ego pens and around 12 Aspire tanks for them. They are good for starting, I would highly recommend a Groove II with a Kanger Mega tank, made not smoking soooooooooo much easier for me and a few others I have spoken to.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Okay... I have never seen an ego/evod battery "cause" leakage. Leakage occurs in the clearo/tank.
My first question would be, did you switch juices in this tank?... if so, what is that juice and what is it's pg/vg ratio?
2nd... is your ego a spinner? if so, and what volts do you have it set at?
3rd... what Ohm is your protank coil?

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay... I have never seen an ego/evod battery "cause" leakage. Leakage occurs in the clearo/tank.
My first question would be, did you switch juices in this tank?... if so, what is that juice and what is it's pg/vg ratio?
2nd... is your ego a spinner? if so, and what volts do you have it set at?
3rd... what Ohm is protank coil?

Yea, juices were switched in the tank but not all 4 of the tanks (3 mini's & 1 protank 2) that are leaking on this base.

It is not an eGo IMO although I was told it was. Does not have the eGo name on it. Dies not have anything on it as a matter of fact.

The coils are 1.5 for the mini's and 2.0 for the protank. It is hard for me to comprehend that coils on 4 different tanks go south all at once.

Simply Newt

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Ego is a style.. not a brand... if it looks like one of the ones below... its an Ego

PVSleeviesFinished_zpsb55fb999.jpg

What is the flavor profile of the juice?
what is the juice pg/vg?
Is your battery Variable Voltage... aka Spinner or Twist?

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Simply Newt
The place I goto was buying clones cause cause he was new to VAPING so was i so I didn't know anything at the time. We both learn together.
Either buy a new tank or you can buy the base I saw them online somewhere can't remember. Might chesper to buy a new tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is what I have.

uploadfromtaptalk1408398030712.jpg

This is the only marking, a symbol on the bottom.

uploadfromtaptalk1408398084307.jpg

Now if the battery is crap and does not produce the voltage needed to heat the juice wouldn't I experience these symptoms of flooding?

Simply Newt

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You did remember to put the coil back in before blowing through the airhole - right? Just want to get that out of the way since I didn't see it mentioned...

Did you check the battery contact to make sure it's dry and there's no liquid in there? Can we get a pic of your tanks as well?

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You did remember to put the coil back in before blowing through the airhole - right? Just want to get that out of the way since I didn't see it mentioned...

Absolutely. Im a greenhorn when it comes to Vaping but I have enough sense to put the coil back in. I cleaned all 3 mini tanks. Actually broke them down, washed them, dried them, installed new coils and refilled tanks and got the same freaking results. Juice does not taste so good in liquid form.

Did you check the battery contact to make sure it's dry and there's no liquid in there? Can we get a pic of your tanks as well?

I have used at least a dozen qtips ensuring that the battery contact was dry. Being an electrician for over 30 years, I know what moisture can do to a contact.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess the only other thing is to try the tank/s on another one of your devices when you get home - just to confirm if it's the tank/s or the battery. Sucks that you'd have to go through that - how long have you had the eGo? Perhaps you can go back down to your B&M and have them take a look at it?

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess the only other thing is to try the tank/s on another one of your devices when you get home - just to confirm if it's the tank/s or the battery. Sucks that you'd have to go through that - how long have you had the eGo? Perhaps you can go back down to your B&M and have them take a look at it?

I have tried the ProTank on my Vamo and it is working as it should. Cant try the Mini's because I dont have the adaptor to go on the Vamo for the Mini's. I am going to take the batteries to work and put them on my digital meter and see how much they are putting out. Any idea on what voltage I should be looking for?

I have had the batteries for a little over 2 weeks now and should not have the issues I am having with these things or at least think I shouldn't anyway.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My g/F's eGo spins between 3.3 and 4.8 volts. Hope that helps. LoL

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yes... this is an Ego. My next question... what color does your button light up when you push it?... It's possible this is one of the new VV clickables and you may have it set too high without knowing it.

Here is what I have.

View attachment 4063

View attachment 4064

Now if the battery is crap and does not produce the voltage needed to heat the juice wouldn't I experience these symptoms of flooding?

Simply Newt

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
This depends on the ohm coil you have on it... if you are putting out too much voltage to too low of ohms, this can cause the clearo to leak.

I have tried the ProTank on my Vamo and it is working as it should. Cant try the Mini's because I dont have the adaptor to go on the Vamo for the Mini's. I am going to take the batteries to work and put them on my digital meter and see how much they are putting out. Any idea on what voltage I should be looking for?

I have had the batteries for a little over 2 weeks now and should not have the issues I am having with these things or at least think I shouldn't anyway.

1truk

Member For 4 Years
Here is what I have.

View attachment 4063

View attachment 4064

Simply Newt
Possibly .. If your battery voltage is too low with respect to your head resistance, it is conceivable that you are sucking to compensate for the low volume of vapor, which could certainly cause you to draw an excess amount of juice into the head itself. Most tanks all work on a vacuum principle and if you flood the head it can cause the siphon to reverse causing the leackage. A good rule of thumb with regard to Resistance/voltage is to set your Voltage approximately 2 volts above the Resistance value. Example, if your head resistance is 2.0 a good starting point for voltage would be 4 Volts.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
eGo... strictly speaking the only real ones are made by Joyetech. However it's come to mean pretty much anything with the same connector (short for ego-compatible).

I had a theory brewing, but then you said the protank worked on another device after not working on the ego batt. Hmm. Anyway, it was that the bottom of the coil head could be gettting turned by the batt, which turns the coil and opens a gap next to the wick which juice could easily get through. I've had that happen after cleaning juice from under a mini protank's coil (too vigourously, lol). Best way to look for something like that happening would be to take the base and coil off one of the minis and screw the batt into it, watching the wick for movement (easier to see if you slide the silicon cup up the chimney a bit, or even remove the chimney, it just pops off with a wiggle).

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
eGo... strictly speaking the only real ones are made by Joyetech. However it's come to mean pretty much anything with the same connector (short for ego-compatible).

I had a theory brewing, but then you said the protank worked on another device after not working on the ego batt. Hmm. Anyway, it was that the bottom of the coil head could be gettting turned by the batt, which turns the coil and opens a gap next to the wick which juice could easily get through. I've had that happen after cleaning juice from under a mini protank's coil (too vigourously, lol). Best way to look for something like that happening would be to take the base and coil off one of the minis and screw the batt into it, watching the wick for movement (easier to see if you slide the silicon cup up the chimney a bit, or even remove the chimney, it just pops off with a wiggle).

Will have to try this. Charged both batteries fully and no issues thus far today. Seems to happen when the battery is on the low end of a charge if that makes sense.

Simply Newt

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On the bottom side of the coils where the coil contacts the battery, this piece has a very small teflon grommet and it has come loose. I tightened this a little by turning it clockwise and the issue went away.

I was under the impression that the coils were one piece with no moving parts. Will be disecting one when I get home to look inside.

Simply Newt

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The coil head is all just pushed together / pulled apart, nothing screws in or out. See Protank Coil Rebuilds for a diagram.

Be warned that you won't be able to get one back together successfully using the original coil!

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
uploadfromtaptalk1408482736918.jpg

I believe the issue lies in the little grommet on the right of this coil. I thought this screws in put it pulls out and I think this may be why I am getting juiced when I hit my PVD. But to happen on 4 tanks at around the same time, could it be the battery doing damage to the coil?

Simply Newt

Last edited:

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have traced the issue down to one mini protank that just keeps leaking. In my research in how to correct this persistent problem, I found out that you can take another cup seal (found on the "chimney") and invert it so it is facing up giving you two seals. This is supposed to prevent most leaks and girgling.

Has anyone tried this?

Simply Newt

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That what folks do to use a single-coil mini protank 2 head in the normally dual-coil mini protank 3, not sure there's room in the mp2 for 2 of the seals.

Once the grommet and/or the pin that goes inside it have been disturbed it tends to move the coil around and cause flooding. Now that you've narrowed it down to one tank, it's probably worth just trying a fresh coil head in it.

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive went through a box of coils trying to figure this thing out. Have to wait until a fresh shipment comes in.

Ive put a new coil in this pt mini and it still leaks like all get out. I am thinking something may be wrong with where the coil screws in.

Simply Newt

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yes... that is what it sounds like to me.... Do yourself a favor... the base on the one that keeps leaking... throw it out!

Ive went through a box of coils trying to figure this thing out. Have to wait until a fresh shipment comes in.

Ive put a new coil in this pt mini and it still leaks like all get out. I am thinking something may be wrong with where the coil screws in.

Simply Newt

simplynewt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes... that is what it sounds like to me.... Do yourself a favor... the base on the one that keeps leaking... throw it out!

Well after talking with the folks at the local Vape Shop, I discovered that the orings at the top and bottom of the glass on the PT Mini is gone and this is why it is leaking so bad. So now I am shopping for orings to install on this PT Mini II. Any idea on where I can pick some up?

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well after talking with the folks at the local Vape Shop, I discovered that the orings at the top and bottom of the glass on the PT Mini is gone and this is why it is leaking so bad. So now I am shopping for orings to install on this PT Mini II. Any idea on where I can pick some up?
EBay or fast tech

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Glad you got it worked out! I haven't had a problem with those rings... yet...

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
You can also use dental rubber bands... that's what I replace all my seals and rings with.

VU Sponsors