Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No shit.. if a doc ever told me I had to completely quit sugar, I'd go directly home and kill myself. I can live without (most) drugs... I can live without alcohol, and even without cigarettes as long as I vape, but sugar? No fucking way. I don't hate the taste of sucralose, but artificial sweeteners play hell with your gut health, so the only sucralose I ever use is that in my vape (and not very damn much of that either, lately).

Andria
And of course sugar is in so many foods to some degree, no sugar at all means even many cured meats, some types of sausage, etc are verboten. No honey smoked ham???? No blueberries????????? No pumpkin pie with whipped cream at Thanksgiving???????????????

And of course almost all processed foods are a no go.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And of course sugar is in so many foods to some degree, no sugar at all means even many cured meats, some types of sausage, etc are verboten. No honey smoked ham???? No blueberries????????? No pumpkin pie with whipped cream at Thanksgiving???????????????

And of course almost all processed foods are a no go.

The reason why I've been steadily and gradually reducing my sugar intake over the last 25 yrs is precisely BECAUSE I can't even imagine having to totally abstain from it, I love it too much! And the way that diabetes gallops thru my family, I figured if I didn't wanna hear that from a doctor one day, it would behoove me to use less of it!

I was the little girl who ate sugar cubes out of the sugar bowl so much that my grandmother had to stop using sugar cubes and just use granulated sugar. :giggle:

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Years and years ago I read the Atkins diet book. A few things from that book stuck with me thru the years. One point he made was about or sugar consumption. Back in the 1700's the average person consumed 4 lbs of sugar a year. By the 1800's it was up to 18 lbs a year. Back then heart attacks, diabetes, cancer was all pretty much unheard of. Granted the medical industry didnt know much then but still, there is no stories of anyone grabbing their chest and keeling over in public or anything like that.
By the 1900's we was up to 80 lbs of sugar consumption a year and health problems stated in earnest. Today as of 2009 we consume 180 lbs of sugar a year. Heat attacks, diabetes and cancer is very common in our society.

I like most love my sweets. Candies, brownies, cake with lots of icing, all of it I love. I try to avoid it as much as possible and that in itself is a losing battle. I look at it like cigarettes. I know they will kill me but at times ya just cant help yourself :)

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
No shit.. if a doc ever told me I had to completely quit sugar, I'd go directly home and kill myself. I can live without (most) drugs... I can live without alcohol, and even without cigarettes as long as I vape, but sugar? No fucking way. I don't hate the taste of sucralose, but artificial sweeteners play hell with your gut health, so the only sucralose I ever use is that in my vape (and not very damn much of that either, lately).

Andria

I don't care how good they say they taste I cannot abide fake sweeteners. All I taste is "chemical" in a split second.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Back then heart attacks, diabetes, cancer was all pretty much unheard of. Granted the medical industry didnt know much then but still, there is no stories of anyone grabbing their chest and keeling over in public or anything like that.

I tend to disagree with that considering those conditions showed up frequently in popular literature, albeit under very different names back then.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't recall where I stumbled on it, but another interesting take I read somewhere had to do with an increase in various health issues (including cancer, diabetes, and heart related issues) around the time that hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils became commonplace.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Years and years ago I read the Atkins diet book. A few things from that book stuck with me thru the years. One point he made was about or sugar consumption. Back in the 1700's the average person consumed 4 lbs of sugar a year. By the 1800's it was up to 18 lbs a year. Back then heart attacks, diabetes, cancer was all pretty much unheard of. Granted the medical industry didnt know much then but still, there is no stories of anyone grabbing their chest and keeling over in public or anything like that.
By the 1900's we was up to 80 lbs of sugar consumption a year and health problems stated in earnest. Today as of 2009 we consume 180 lbs of sugar a year. Heat attacks, diabetes and cancer is very common in our society.

I like most love my sweets. Candies, brownies, cake with lots of icing, all of it I love. I try to avoid it as much as possible and that in itself is a losing battle. I look at it like cigarettes. I know they will kill me but at times ya just cant help yourself :)
In the 1700's sugar was EXPENSIVE.
The sugar box was kept locked.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't care how good they say they taste I cannot abide fake sweeteners. All I taste is "chemical" in a split second.

I'm that way in general, and given how bad they are for the gut's health, it's a good thing really. But of all the fake sweeteners I've ever had, sucralose is probably 2nd best of all of 'em -- the cyclamate type were the best, back when I was a kid, but they proved those cause cancer or something, so they stopped selling 'em.

If I put sucralose in my tea, it's really really close to sugar... not exactly, but it doesn't seem to scream ARTIFICIAL! in blazing neon foot-tall letters the way that saccharine and nutrasweet do. Still, I'll stick with sugar, and keep trying to moderate my use of it. In my vape, I'm happy with sucralose; from what I've heard, if one objects to sucralose, stevia is pretty good, but those who don't object to sucralose tend to find the taste of stevia repellant. And I don't use very much sucralose now that my tastebuds are finally starting to wake up.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't recall where I stumbled on it, but another interesting take I read somewhere had to do with an increase in various health issues (including cancer, diabetes, and heart related issues) around the time that hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils became commonplace.

Because trans fats are toxic as hell -- they actually CAUSE free radicals, which are always bad, highly oxydizing to all cells they encounter. I was beating the trans fats drum 10 yrs before the FDA woke the fuck up about them.

Andria

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm that way in general, and given how bad they are for the gut's health, it's a good thing really. But of all the fake sweeteners I've ever had, sucralose is probably 2nd best of all of 'em

Really have to pay attention in the supermarket. One of the most disgusting things I ever picked up by accident was a jar of pickle relish - sweetened with sucralose. :blech: Not only was it disgusting for being chemical it was disgustingly sweet. :blech: :poop: :blech: :poop:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Really have to pay attention in the supermarket. One of the most disgusting things I ever picked up by accident was a jar of pickle relish - sweetened with sucralose. :blech: Not only was it disgusting for being chemical it was disgustingly sweet. :blech: :poop: :blech: :poop:

That sounds perfectly vomitous. I don't like sweet pickles period, in any context, EVER. Though I recently discovered that a brand of chicken salad I really like uses both dill and sweet pickle relish, so maybe I do like it in THAT context ONLY.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
And people around you are still alive?

I'm even doing extreme things like making my own ketchup to avoid the corn syrup, shit like that :eek:

I'm trying to make peace with stuff like honey (which I do not like the taste of) and other measures to avoid aggravating my stupid and conflicting maladies

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm even doing extreme things like making my own ketchup to avoid the corn syrup, shit like that :eek:

I'm trying to make peace with stuff like honey (which I do not like the taste of) and other measures to avoid aggravating my stupid and conflicting maladies

Ever tried orange blossom honey? It's got the least sour whang of any honey I've ever tasted; it tastes like sunshine!

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ever tried orange blossom honey? It's got the least sour whang of any honey I've ever tasted; it tastes like sunshine!

I'm just getting acquainted with the notion that all honey is not created equal

Would love to find a sugar substitute to compliment black tea

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I beg to differ with my bud Andria, I don't like Orange Blossom Honey unless it's their clover honey.
I suggest if you ever find it you try Avocado honey.

(Of course all honey isn't equal, it depends on the type of flower the bees get their nectar from)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

When I was having that awful cold, I sometimes put orange blossom honey in it, instead of sugar; it's pretty damn good, and I hear that honey can be either actually somewhat curative, or at least palliative. Also, if you have any TFA Cinnamon Spice or FA Cinnamon Ceylon (both are *actual* cinnamon flavors, not that redhot crap), put a drop of that into the tea with the orange blossom honey, it's fucking great!

I was never terribly wild about honey... until I tried orange blossom. Now that's the only kind I'll use. There's a place near us called the Georgia Honey Farm, and they have that flavor -- and they're one of the clients of the box company my husband works for, and my husband and the owner are good friends; he gives us huge jars of it quite often. :D

Orange blossom honey is what all the other honeys wanna grow up to be. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I beg to differ with my bud Andria, I don't like Orange Blossom Honey unless it's their clover honey.
I suggest if you ever find it you try Avocado honey.

(Of course all honey isn't equal, it depends on the type of flower the bees get their nectar from)

Clover honey is sour as hell, ick!!! Orange blossom honey is AMAZING, it really does taste like sunshine.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've never had honey that didn't taste like what I imagine asshole is like :blech:

However, I like it okay in homemade salad dressing and a few other recipes where it fades in the background of much bolder flavors

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never had honey that didn't taste like what I imagine asshole is like :blech:

However, I like it okay in homemade salad dressing and a few other recipes where it fades in the background of much bolder flavors
Nah, believe me, I've tried asshole..honey's nuthin' like it. Matter of fact I'm trying to get enthused
to make some honey vaping juice as I write.
I normally use Inawera but recently got some Capella honey flavor (as well as more Inawera)
Good stuff.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Nah, believe me, I've tried asshole..honey's nuthin' like it. Matter of fact I'm trying to get enthused
to make some honey vaping juice as I write.
I normally use Inawera but recently got some Capella honey flavor (as well as more Inawera)
Good stuff.

:tmi: but roflmao

I've got some Lehua honey coming from some former Alaskans I know who now have a farm on the Big Island - we'll see

That was the souvenir I sent out to a lot of people last time I was there, a sample pack of macadamia, wild flower, etc. Everyone said the Lehua was best, so I'll try it

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
...free radicals, which are always bad, highly oxidizing to all cells they encounter.

I always imagine this as what is currently ongoing in our world
presently, a group of free and radical fanatics. You say they oxidize
other cells and I think of them converting cells of other differing
fanatics. "Hey buddy, wake up. We all got to go nuts and destroy the
world! Muhahaha!" This then always leads me back to thoughts of fire
fighter fighting fires, then wondering what do freedom fighters fight?
It is something which kind of sets a daily tone for me.

I then consider the expression, "war on [X]" and how it seems said war
only serves exacerbating [X]. For example the war on poverty, made sure
there was more poverty. The war on drugs, made more drugs and crime from
drugs. The war on terrorism, well, it's only making more terrorists. The
war on cancer? Gee, you would think with all the brightest minds and all
the money spent so far we'd see a cure. Nope, only more cancer.

So I decided some time ago, I am having war on peace. ;) :) It simple
to join in this fight. Look at the person nearest you, smile, open arms
wide and embrace in a hug, offer to help them for a little. Ask for no
reward, not even a thank you. When the job is done, walk away, go to the
next job. Gradually, we'll get the trenches dug and the heavy artillery
of hug mortars going 24/7/366. It'll be splendid! :)

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I always imagine this as what is currently ongoing in our world
presently, a group of free and radical fanatics. You say they oxidize
other cells and I think of them converting cells of other differing
fanatics. "Hey buddy, wake up. We all got to go nuts and destroy the
world! Muhahaha!" This then always leads me back to thoughts of fire
fighter fighting fires, then wondering what do freedom fighters fight?
It is something which kind of sets a daily tone for me.

I then consider the expression, "war on [X]" and how it seems said war
only serves exacerbating [X]. For example the war on poverty, made sure
there was more poverty. The war on drugs, made more drugs and crime from
drugs. The war on terrorism, well, it's only making more terrorists. The
war on cancer? Gee, you would think with all the brightest minds and all
the money spent so far we'd see a cure. Nope, only more cancer.

So I decided some time ago, I am having war on peace. ;) :) It simple
to join in this fight. Look at the person nearest you, smile, open arms
wide and embrace in a hug, offer to help them for a little. Ask for no
reward, not even a thank you. When the job is done, walk away, go to the
next job. Gradually, we'll get the trenches dug and the heavy artillery
of hug mortars going 24/7/366. It'll be splendid! :)

Nope, cant get behind that simply because the majority of people are assholes. Someone I know recently had a couple guys come to their home and build them a handicap ramp. They did a real good job but the home owner bitched because a) they used old lumber, not new. (it being privided for free didnt matter) and b) they didnt stain or paint it. I have seen too many times that you go out of your way to help someone and your an SOB because you didnt do more, So screw that Morely, people are just not worth it most of the time.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nope, cant get behind that simply because the majority of people are assholes. Someone I know recently had a couple guys come to their home and build them a handicap ramp. They did a real good job but the home owner bitched because a) they used old lumber, not new. (it being privided for free didnt matter) and b) they didnt stain or paint it. I have seen too many times that you go out of your way to help someone and your an SOB because you didnt do more, So screw that Morely, people are just not worth it most of the time.

My mom had that "new rope syndrome." Some of my earliest memories are of her opening xmas gifts from my stepfather, and showing how disappointed she was with whatever he gave her. To me, that's just plain tacky, to evince disappointment over a GIFT. I've felt that feeling myself, but to the person who gave me whatever, I smiled and said thank you. Maybe dishonest, but I think sparing someone's feeling is more important than total honesty, in that case.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I understand your point & to a degree can even side with you. No one likes being made out to be an SOB if they're doing the best they can given circumstances. At the same time, those very folks who unload all that crap to try making you feel like an SOB need the most help & the most people doing for them without expectation of even a thank you. Am I suggesting we allow ourselves to be taken advantage of? No.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.” --Marcus Aurelius

You do not need to accept another person's definition of yourself. Why then should them trying to make you out to be an SOB cause you injury, upset? Well, it shouldn't. After all you know yourself, and you know you did your best, know you're not an SOB. If they think so, that's all on them, their problem, not yours. You can smile and nod, walk away from the job.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it
is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." --Marcus
Aurelius

You are given these gifts like all on Earth. If you show that you have gratitude, others will see it and start having gratitude as well. Sure, I have troubles in life and i know that I often bemoan living. Many folks do. I am not excusing myself. Not saying I'm perfect either. I have a great way to go yet. I'm finding a way that might work.

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am
wise, so I am changing myself.” – Rumi

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's a sad reality.
I loaned an extra car I had to a couple for 6 months once. When I wanted it back to trade it in for a new car, they got so pissed off they took the battery out of it. No kidding. Yea, they bought the battery, but they used the car FREE for 6 months! Putting tons of mileage on it cause the husband worked at a refinery. Thing is, before I loaned it to them, I said they could have it for 2 months. But I let them have it an extra 4.

VU Sponsors