Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glutens are actually essential for most folks, they help us digest.... hmm, something that doesn't leap to mind at the moment. I have a distant cousin with Crohn's, I think he's supposed to eat gluten-free. But he's 16 yrs old, so he mostly gives a middle finger to dietary restrictions, and suffers the consequences.

But I SO agree, people are ready to believe anything some "expert" says, no matter how ridiculous it is. Carbs are the best source of energy, and vaping is 95% safer than smoking, I don't care how many "experts" blather something ridiculous about either.

People eat low-carb diets (Atkins diet) if they're fat, because it FORCES their bodies to burn that fat, it burns easier than protein. But I'm not really terribly fat... maybe 15 lbs.

Andria
I'd quote a movie but I doubt you'd have seen it

Sent from my HT3 Pro using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Or your clothes

Sent from my HT3 Pro using Tapatalk

I wear no clothes while sleeping. It never made any sense to me, take off clothes for bed... then put on a different set, to sleep in... how totally retarded is that???

The only time I would wear something to sleep in is if the weather is SO cold, that even fanning the covers while turning over makes me get cold (like, if the power's out or something). Or, back when I had godawful nightsweats every night, I would wear leggings and a tight t-shirt to bed, so the cool air wouldn't hit my wet sweaty skin. (it has to be tight clothing that won't get wrapped and twisted.) Otherwise... clothes in bed is just stupid.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just like I was telling @inspects the bread came out heavenly :D

I enjoyed a couple 3 slices of fresh bread right out of the oven soaked with real butter and was going to call it quits there but then I looked at the loaf and seen that last cut was slightly uneven, slanted even. Cant have that so had to slice off another piece of bread and butter it up :p

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OMG I just found my review on Amazon I did for a friend of mine that was selling a book and it's so funny! Look at the name I gave myself.
View attachment 74388

My son had that problem, till he was about 12-13. It's merely a sign of delayed neurological development (so say all the pediatricians I asked), and will eventually be grown out of. I figured my son's self-esteem was far more important than my convenience, so we got him Pull-Ups, and some chemical product to wash the sheets in, to get rid of the smell (my husband worked for a company that made various cleaning prioducts, before the box faxctory). The pediatricians were absolutely right, once he hit puberty, he grew out of it completely. I had the same problem, though not quite as severely or as late, but then puberty hits girls much earlier... good thing; they didn't make Pull-Ups back then! :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
On the subject of gluten, we were discussing earlier... I may be wrong about gluten itself being essential for most people, for proper digestion, or at least, I can't find the article where I originally read that. I did find this, at nutritionfacts.org:

"The reason health professionals don’t want to see people on gluten-free diets unless absolutely necessary is that, for the 98 percent of people that don’t have gluten issues, whole grains—including the gluten grains wheat, barley and rye—are health promoting, linked to reduced risk of coronary heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and other chronic diseases.

Because some people have a peanut allergy doesn’t mean everyone should avoid peanuts. There is no evidence to suggest that following a gluten-free diet has any significant benefits in the general population. Indeed, there is some evidence to suggest that a gluten-free diet may adversely affect gut health in those without celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, or wheat allergy. A study out of Spain, highlighted in my video, Gluten-Free Diets: Separating the Wheat from the Chat, found that a month on a gluten-free diet may hurt our gut flora and immune function, potentially setting those on gluten-free diets up for an overgrowth of harmful bacteria in their intestines. Why? Because the very components wheat sensitive people have problems with, like FODMAP and fructans, may act as prebiotics and feed our good bacteria.

Gluten, itself, may also boost immune function. After less than a week on added gluten protein, subjects experienced significantly increased natural killer cell activity, which could be expected to improve our body’s ability to fight cancer and viral infections. Another study found that high gluten bread improved triglyceride levels better than regular gluten bread.

Ironically, one of the greatest threats gluten-free diets pose may be the gluten itself. Self-prescription of gluten withdrawal may undermine our ability to detect celiac disease, the much more serious form of gluten intolerance. The way we diagnose celiac is by looking for the inflammation caused by gluten in celiac sufferers, but if they haven’t been eating a lot of gluten, we might miss the disease. Hence, rather than being on a gluten-free diet, we want celiac suspects to be on a gluten-loaded diet. We’re talking 4-6 slices of gluten packed bread every day for at least a month so we can definitively diagnose the disease.

Why does it matter to get a formal diagnosis if you’re already on a gluten-free diet? Well, it’s a genetic disease, so you’ll know to test the family. But most importantly, many people on gluten-free diets are not actually on gluten-free diets. Even 20 parts per million can be toxic to someone with celiac. Many on “gluten-free diets” inadvertently eat gluten. Sometimes gluten-free products are contaminated; so, even foods labeled “gluten-free” may still not be safe for celiac sufferers.

As editorialized in The Lancet, the irony of many celiac patients not knowing their diagnosis, while millions of non-sufferers banish gluten from their lives, can be considered a public health farce."

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
"The reason health professionals don’t want to see people on gluten-free diets unless absolutely necessary is that, for the 98 percent of people that don’t have gluten issues, whole grains—including the gluten grains wheat, barley and rye—are health promoting, linked to reduced risk of coronary heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and other chronic diseases.

Andria

Sweet! Drink more beer (barley) and Rye whiskey because it cures all sorts of bad shit :vino:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well... for the first time since last June... I actually have some vapemail headed my way: ordered some shisha strawberry last night. :) Their charge for airmail has gone down; it used to be $5-something, now it's $3-something. Nice!

Andria

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I think it's about damn time YOU got in here. ;) Seems like you did post in here when you first got here, but then just.. went away? Don't you wub us anymore???

Andria

I knows I knows. Was suffering from a bad case of PTECFSD. Didn't feel like posting anywhere after that burn out. (Actually I think I have seen that happen here more than once.)

Sorry to hear about your Mum.

giphy.gif

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I knows I knows. Was suffering from a bad case of PTECFSD. Didn't feel like posting anywhere after that burn out. (Actually I think I have seen that happen here more than once.)

Sorry to hear about your Mum.

giphy.gif

Thx. It's been pretty rough.

I occasionally have a few days in which I really have nothing much to say, strange as that may seem. :D

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Umm.. the worst problem with hearts and the cardiovascular system is *cholesterol*... of which baked goods have a *little* but not a real lot. Carbs are where ENERGY comes from, as they're more readily metabolized than protein or fat. Sounds like you've drunk the koolaid about carbs. :facepalm:

Andria
Whatever Dr. Andria.......:devil:

Try investigating GOOD carbs from BAD carbs while your at it.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Whatever Dr. Andria.......:devil:

Try investigating GOOD carbs from BAD carbs while your at it.

Oh, I have... which is why I keep decreasing my sugar intake, but i also consume whole wheat bread, (and whole wheat double fiber bread), whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and oatmeal. I eat no white bread, pasta, or rice.

Andria

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I get a chuckle out of some dietary beliefs. Like the gluten free stuff. Only about %1 of the populations suffer from the disease of the intestines that requires a gluten free diet but 10's of millions of people go gluten free because it is the latest fad. I care less if glutens are present or not :D
My dad (adopted, so no genetic worries) had celiac disease...the gluten intolerance. He didn't know, so never followed a proper diet for him. When those who have that don't do so, they are at a very high chance of getting cancer...Non Hodgkins lymphoma to be exact. He did, they didn't find out till stage 4 (cause he was the type to never go to a doctor for anything), and he passed. Sorry, I know it doesn't have anything to do with the point of your post, but the gluten comment just brought it up to the front of my brain.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My dad (adopted, so no genetic worries) had celiac disease...the gluten intolerance. He didn't know, so never followed a proper diet for him. When those who have that don't do so, they are at a very high chance of getting cancer...Non Hodgkins lymphoma to be exact. He did, they didn't find out till stage 4 (cause he was the type to never go to a doctor for anything), and he passed. Sorry, I know it doesn't have anything to do with the point of your post, but the gluten comment just brought it up to the front of my brain.

Blood tests I had last month indicate possible celiac disease - but I have opted to not have the biopsy to confirm and am giving just giving up wheats and glutens to be on the safe side. There is also a poorly understood relationship between lactose intolerance, celiac disease and a number of liver diseases.

I've been lactose intolerant since I was a baby. Well meaning relatives almost killed me trying to shove it down my throat as a toddler :eek:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Cant like that post. All I can do is offer my condolences on your loss. :(

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Blood tests I had last month indicate possible celiac disease - but I have opted to not have the biopsy to confirm and am giving just giving up wheats and glutens to be on the safe side. There is also a poorly understood relationship between lactose intolerance, celiac disease and a number of liver diseases.

I've been lactose intolerant since I was a baby. Well meaning relatives almost killed me trying to shove it down my throat as a toddler :eek:

Hate seeing the rough time your having Lucy. I know just from what I am hearing here that it really sucks for you.

Was reading earlier that Caliac disease and wheat intolerance is often confused. For both of them I seen it was good to be gluten free.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hate seeing the rough time your having Lucy. I know just from what I am hearing here that it really sucks for you.

Was reading earlier that Caliac disease and wheat intolerance is often confused. For both of them I seen it was good to be gluten free.

This is true. But I have been advised to give up all cereals and grains, and certain lentils and I am finally starting to feel better finally. Three good days in a row, lol.

The first three days in a row since this cropped up in late December as a matter of fact

I am rethinking the vegetarian strategy though - Mr Juicy barbecued up some Valentine's Day filet mignon for dinner tonight and it was too freaking delicious, lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mornin' fuggers. It's PAYDAY! :stars2: And wouldn't you know, a day I have to go out somewhere, and it's raining. *sigh* But it's supposed to be outta here by noonish, so maybe it won't be too unpleasant by the time I have to be out there. :)

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If your blood test indicated possible celiac disease I don't know that I would go the biopsy route but treat it as celiac. My daughter has had lots of problems for the last few months. She had an endoscopy, which led to a biopsy because the doctor found a thinning of the opening to her small intestine which generally points to celiac. She had the blood test which was negative for celiac. The biopsy was also negative. She is still on the hunt to find out exactly what it wrong. Her symptoms are pointing to gallbladder in my opinion but I think she's going to have to follow the same path I did. I had the same issues she has for years before finally having a gallbladder attack that was so severe the surgeon had no choice but to remove it. Hang in there Lucy!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is true. But I have been advised to give up all cereals and grains, and certain lentils and I am finally starting to feel better finally. Three good days in a row, lol.

The first three days in a row since this cropped up in late December as a matter of fact

I am rethinking the vegetarian strategy though - Mr Juicy barbecued up some Valentine's Day filet mignon for dinner tonight and it was too freaking delicious, lol

Please watch all the videos https://cloud.datai.net/index.php/s/pT5QGlJO5KnJVBK

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Juice, just my opinion, but I would NOT have a biopsy either, a biopsy spreads cancer cells if they are present. Use your bodies own enemies to fight it. https://cloud.datai.net/index.php/s/pT5QGlJO5KnJVBK

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey, it's already getting sunny! Hurray!!

The thing about all this dietary stuff is just the same as with the differences in how people vape -- I vape 86% PG, and many of you vape 85% VG -- my way wouldn't suit you, and your way would probably send me to the hospital. Same for food. Someone with 1/3 of a pancreas isn't going to be on very good terms with ANY carbs, even the "good" ones could present a life-threatening problem... and the high fat of an Atkins diet would give my poor gallbladder HELL.

I think the major problem is that a lot of people just don't know how to eat, for optimum health -- they cram empty carbs, and wonder why they're obese and diabetic -- or they're like I was before I discovered my gallstones, eating eggs and burgers and wondering why they're nauseous all the time. Or they go along with the latest fad and avoid gluten when they have absolutely no reason to do so -- and even those who have some problem with gluten need to be eating it pre-diagnosis, so that the problem CAN be diagnosed.

Once again, blame the idiot media -- they never give any REAL information, just the latest scary headlines. If you base your life and worldview on those headlines, you're in trouble.

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, I have... which is why I keep decreasing my sugar intake, but i also consume whole wheat bread, (and whole wheat double fiber bread), whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and oatmeal. I eat no white bread, pasta, or rice.

Andria
All that garbage is genetically modified, your better off getting carbs from organic fruit-nuts. A change is eating can prevent cancer and so many other diseases, like diabetes, et al.

I had what they called diabetes after having 3/4s of my pancreas removed, now I eat right, no more insulin is needed and I never felt better in my life.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All that garbage is genetically modified, your better off getting carbs from organic fruit-nuts. A change is eating can prevent cancer and so many other diseases, like diabetes, et al.

I had what they called diabetes after having 3/4s of my pancreas removed, now I eat right, no more insulin is needed and I never felt better in my life.

I can't eat nuts; I can't chew them; I can eat a little peanut butter, but have to be careful, because it's so fatty. The only fruits I actually care enough about to eat are bananas... but if I eat too many, it complicates my leg cramps problem -- about half a banana is all I can cope with, and not get cramps. I love blueberries... but you need to be independently wealthy or live in Maine to afford them! I try to get them when I can, but I flat refuse to pay $4 for a half pint of blueberries.

So really, I *have to* base my diet on low-fat proteins, and complex carbs and high fiber. It's the only way of eating that makes any sense for this body. I eat a LOT of chicken, a fair amount of fish, especially salmon, and pork, because it contains little if any cholesterol... and whole grains plus fiber.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Morning fugee's and merrily GFY :bunny:

Gonna be a cool dreary day today so think I will just stay inside and mess around with my guitar :) Finger tips are toughening up and having fun with it. Its amazing how much of a help youtube is with it. It is like having an instructor sitting with you.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I agree Dale but I do think that we all have to eat what is right for our bodies. Diets etc are not one size fits all. For example, if I eat too many nuts it causes my diverticulitis to act up. If I juice everyday, I get diarrhea(TMI, I know) because I really need the fiber that only chewing up the fruits and vegetables give me. I try to balance my eating daily. Not too many carbs, fast food once a week, a balance of fruits and veggies(I use the rainbow analogy) every day and watch my sugar intake. After eliminating corn, watching high fructose corn syrup and sugar intake I've been able to moderate my arthritis inflammation. I don't think I've done too bad to be 60 years old, and work at a physically demanding job 7 days a week.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree Dale but I do think that we all have to eat what is right for our bodies. Diets etc are not one size fits all. For example, if I eat too many nuts it causes my diverticulitis to act up. If I juice everyday, I get diarrhea(TMI, I know) because I really need the fiber that only chewing up the fruits and vegetables give me. I try to balance my eating daily. Not too many carbs, fast food once a week, a balance of fruits and veggies(I use the rainbow analogy) every day and watch my sugar intake. After eliminating corn, watching high fructose corn syrup and sugar intake I've been able to moderate my arthritis inflammation. I don't think I've done too bad to be 60 years old, and work at a physically demanding job 7 days a week.

I keep hearing things like this about corn, which kinda bums me out, because I really love it. Can you tell me more about how it bothers arthritis? I'm getting to the age where normal wear and tear is making some of my joints painful, and it runs in my family, too -- my grandmother's hands were basically crippled, once she was in her "golden years." I'd hate to eliminate corn entirely, since I love grits and yellow sweet corn, but maybe I ought to eat less of it.

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I keep hearing things like this about corn, which kinda bums me out, because I really love it. Can you tell me more about how it bothers arthritis? I'm getting to the age where normal wear and tear is making some of my joints painful, and it runs in my family, too -- my grandmother's hands were basically crippled, once she was in her "golden years." I'd hate to eliminate corn entirely, since I love grits and yellow sweet corn, but maybe I ought to eat less of it.

Andria
To be honest, I don't really know what the consumption of corn does to arthritis. What I do know is if I eat any thing containing corn or just corn by itself, it causes the joints in my hands to hurt really bad. I don't avoid all corn, grits, sweet corn etc, I just don't eat it a lot like I used to.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
To be honest, I don't really know what the consumption of corn does to arthritis. What I do know is if I eat any thing containing corn or just corn by itself, it causes the joints in my hands to hurt really bad. I don't avoid all corn, grits, sweet corn etc, I just don't eat it a lot like I used to.

Ok, maybe I need to do that too. I injured my shoulder many years ago, never saw a doc for it *naturally*, and it never healed right or something. These days, it hurts pretty much all the time, but it's worse in cold damp weather, so I'm thinking the original injury has now just turned into something more like osteoarthritis -- of which I've had a few flare-ups in my thumb joints, which is a REALLY bad place to hurt, being a hominid and all. :D Thumbs are kinda necessary. :giggle:

I'll look into the corn angle -- I'm one of those who always wants to know WHY. When I was looking into the gluten thing yesterday, I noticed that the different grains offer different types of gluten, which is a protein, so maybe it's something in corn's protein, or even in its sugar content, which is pretty high after all.

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, maybe I need to do that too. I injured my shoulder many years ago, never saw a doc for it *naturally*, and it never healed right or something. These days, it hurts pretty much all the time, but it's worse in cold damp weather, so I'm thinking the original injury has now just turned into something more like osteoarthritis -- of which I've had a few flare-ups in my thumb joints, which is a REALLY bad place to hurt, being a hominid and all. :D Thumbs are kinda necessary. :giggle:

I'll look into the corn angle -- I'm one of those who always wants to know WHY. When I was looking into the gluten thing yesterday, I noticed that the different grains offer different types of gluten, which is a protein, so maybe it's something in corn's protein, or even in its sugar content, which is pretty high after all.

Andria
The joints in my thumb, first and middle finger on my right hand are twice the size of the same joints on my left hand. And I have nodules on the first finger. They don't hurt badly every day but some days, I can't close my right hand without pain.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Huh. Apparently the only way to reduce foods that worsen arthritis would be to starve myself -- it lists dairy, corn, and wheat as the worst foods to eat for arthritis. I'm post-menopausal, so NO WAY can I eliminate dairy, I need the calcium. And NO WAY can I eliminate wheat, since wheat bran is the best thing for my constipation, and whole grains are a good way to avoid diabetes. Guess I'll continue my current healthy diet, maybe eat a bit less corn, and keep taking ibuprofen when my joints hurt.

I guess these healthy-eating fools just want us all to exist on kale and spring water, as I've long suspected.

Andria

VU Sponsors