Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Morning all.. :wave: Up too early because it's my week to take the grandson to school. There's snow on the way here tonight and tomorrow. Guess I'd better stock up on milk and bread.:rolleyes: Beer too if I drank. :D I hope you all have a great day and don't forget to GFY. :)
Great that we no longer have to worry about running out of cigs though :)
Couple inches of snow on the ground here and from the radar it is maybe 1/2 done.

Looked like this system is dumping snow and freezing rain plumb down to Houston area.
Looks like Choppy will maybe get snow out of it.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Couple inches of snow on the ground here and from the radar it is maybe 1/2 done.

Looked like this system is dumping snow and freezing rain plumb down to Houston area.
They were showing somewhere in Louisiana getting snow in the early morning hours so maybe he is. Choppy will love that! :giggle:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Danged weather guessers...
They were all in an uproar saying 4-8 inches of snow for the snow we had a couple of days ago.
did not even get enough to reach a weiner dogs knees.
this one however is weiner dog butthole deep.

and they said a light dusting with maybe a bit of accumulation....

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
They were all in an uproar saying 4-8 inches of snow for the snow we had a couple of days ago.

You are the only person I know who uses a Weiner dog to measure snow - most of use use yard sticks

Everyone knows you use dogs to measure how cold it is o_O

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are the only person I know who uses a Weiner dog to measure snow - most of use use yard sticks

Yep that scale is how far the weiner dog makes it from the door before running back inside.
About 5 weiner dog lengths cold right now

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Same up this end of the holler.

Weather Prognosticator: "Oh, we're looking at 1-2 inches is all."

I looked out this morning at 9 AM & it was at least 4 inches on and still coming down. Makes me figure the mountain areas up yon way gonna git at least a foot.

Recently, sorted our little dog out. I'll now use him as a snow stick too. It was butthole high on him this morning as well. He's not as we thought a Squirrel Terrier but rather a Chow/Wiener dog mix, even after I had gone and told her I'd not have a Chow dog. Told her that was why then he like the Hispanic folks I so often worked around. Grumpy old cuss has grown on me. He's a smart ass at times, too. No idea t'all where he gets it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

And we use the little ones to measure snow, at least until it goes over their heads. Then we measure by bigger dogs.

"Lookie there, it done got a be over a Wiener high. Time to go to Labs."

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Be careful where you get your chicks for your flock and let 'em grass feed or ground scratch. A little crack corn either cracked by you or someone you trust is okay as supplement but sparing. My grandma always ensured her chickens ate a lot of plantain.

Was thinkin of ya today Morely when I was at the store looking at the chicken packages. I kept asking these packs of breast meat and other packs of chicken wings the same thing. "If your not grass fed or ground scratch, speak up now!". None of them admited to being anything else so they must be safe :D

They were showing somewhere in Louisiana getting snow in the early morning hours so maybe he is. Choppy will love that! :giggle:

Yeh, its hitting now. Temp went from 33 to 28 in 30 minutes and frick its cold. No I dont like it! Not at all!

Betcha his dog will at least

He is at his mommy's house this week so if he loves it, its her problem :giggle:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Wow - forgot how tiny the Mini Volt is and discovered I have a pretty impressive collection of little screw drivers with blue handles and tiny baggies with misc. screws and o-rings :cloud:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Was thinkin of ya today Morely when I was at the store looking at the chicken packages. I kept asking these packs of breast meat and other packs of chicken wings the same thing. "If your not grass fed or ground scratch, speak up now!". None of them admited to being anything else so they must be safe :D

LOL Instead of Fibonacci you found the insidious fibbin' chickens. Yes, chickens do fib, even without lips. *grinning*

For the main part I'll say that most of the chicken is indeed good to eat, or at least as safe to eat as folks processing it could ensure. Everyone I worked with always seemed to be keen on the "would I let my family eat it?": rule of thumb. Yes, I know about the factory farming and got a bit of an opinion on it, well a few opinions. Ultimately, to me it seems if more folks vote with their 'money' you get fewer companies having factory farms. Folks keep voting to have cheap/er food resources though and if that's the 'want' then big companies can't help but have a 'need' of factory farms.

That's kind of how most stuff involved in this great 'dream' of capitalism seems to work out. We get a 'free market', I think lots of folks need to research that terminology more so especially the influence of 'free trade' on it, it allows for such 'atrocities'. What most I think would prefer is a genuine 'fair market', which is not anything at all like the 'free market'. Not keen here to say which is better or worse, only saying imho one has helped a lot of fat cats stay fat way too long.

Before I'm called out on it, got no qualm with anyone doing their best, working and earning. That's not my issue at all, at least not until those what earned start thinking they above everyone else. No sir/mam, we're all equal before the Law & I think we're all equal in other ways as well. Death never cares what's in your bank book, it takes you rich or poor, never minds color, creed, sex, gender, religion, politics either.

No, I don't worship death either. I'm merely practical and rational in regards to death, we live and so we die. Been there once already myself, hoping to cheat it again but maybe I'll change my mind by the time it comes round for me. Pretty sure I will, getting weary of seeing how we the most wise of all the universe's creatures allegedly can be so damn fool stupid as to still have war in our time, hunger too. I digress though, no count in me crying havoc on the InterWebz & thinking I can dream out Utopia for all, just ain't a real idear meant to be. A spark can sure light an inferno, yet if it's raining any fire can go out.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have a pretty impressive collection of little screw drivers with blue handles

Watch out you'll create a new trend what will become a religious fervor. We'll see folks paying hundreds of dollars for the holy chipped handle little blue screwdriver, or the slightly green but mostly blue screwdriver and so on. Someone will create secret Little Blue Handled Screw Driver Facebook groups for auctions on customized Little Blue Handled Screw Drivers. I hope we'll be able to do group buys on these mystical Blue Handled Screw Drivers. They get expensive to keep around when the RDAs ship with them. I have a full Altoid's tin full of them, well some Allen Keys are in there too.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
They get expensive to keep around when the RDAs ship with them. I have a full Altoid's tin full of them, well some Allen Keys are in there too.

I seem to recall seeing some dick swinging contests a few years back betweentst builders over who had the truest color blue handle :p

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I seem to recall seeing some dick swinging contests a few years back betweentst builders over who had the truest color blue handle :p
LOL yep I recall the Blue screwdriver wars.
And I had none since I was still using clearos.

Blue screwdriver envy....

The FT started selling bags of 100 of them and the value of little blue screwdrivers crashed worse than the Tulip bulb crash.
Economies were ruined.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Morning...:)
Snowing like hell here and 32 degrees. Most places are closed but naturally, the company I work for is open. I'll make a decision later on whether I'm going to attempt to go in.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i think i have a flat head one

mostly allen keys though
Ohh yeah I forgot about those.
I have 7 of those that came with Wasp Nano's. One was defective and I tossed it.

I use a cheapo precision screwdriver set from Harbor Freight. Much better than the little blue screwdrivers. I do keep a couple in my go bag though.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Be safe Lynn.
Thanks! I'm thinking more along the lines of using a vacation day and staying home. The snow started around 6 and we've got 3 inches so far and it's still coming down. The local news folks are driving around so they let me know what the roads look like. The roads won't look all that great at 11pm tonight with 26 degrees. My SUV is 4WD but even that won't go in ice.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks! I'm thinking more along the lines of using a vacation day and staying home. The snow started around 6 and we've got 3 inches so far and it's still coming down. The local news folks are driving around so they let me know what the roads look like. The roads won't look all that great at 11pm tonight with 26 degrees. My SUV is 4WD but even that won't go in ice.
Ohh wow you can use vac days on short notice?
Good deal.
At Lowe's you had to give 30 days notice on vac days. Anything less and you got an occurrence....

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
LOL yep I recall the Blue screwdriver wars.
And I had none since I was still using clearos.

Blue screwdriver envy....

The FT started selling bags of 100 of them and the value of little blue screwdrivers crashed worse than the Tulip bulb crash.
Economies were ruined.

Me too - and was still just lurking on ECF

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Mornin fugee's. We be frozen down here!

They shut the interstates down last night from the ice and they are still closed today. The ex told me this morning her cousin that she works with went to work this morning, got the text at work that they are not working today. He left the job site and ended up in the ditch with his truck on its side. Slid right off the road.
My heater is not keeping up with the cold either. Down to 64 in the house right now but it is suppose to warm up later to the mid 30's and I hope the heater catches up then and has a chance to shut down for a lil while. And I lost water at 5 am so probably will have some broken pipes to fix later :(

I just frickin love winter :xD:

Sorry @LynnNC had to send it your way :D

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

They shut the interstates down last night from the ice and they are still closed today. The ex told me this morning her cousin that she works with went to work this morning, got the text at work that they are not working today. He left the job site and ended up in the ditch with his truck on its side. Slid right off the road.
My heater is not keeping up with the cold either. Down to 64 in the house right now but it is suppose to warm up later to the mid 30's and I hope the heater catches up then and has a chance to shut down for a lil while. And I lost water at 5 am so probably will have some broken pipes to fix later :(

Sorry @LynnNC had to send it your way :D
Gee thanks Choppy! I appreciate it....NOT!! :giggle:

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh wow you can use vac days on short notice?
Good deal.
At Lowe's you had to give 30 days notice on vac days. Anything less and you got an occurrence....
I'm going to TRY and use a vacation day. It may work, it may not. I have personal time to use if it doesn't. I'm really hoping that the company will pull their heads out of the customers asses and think more about their employees well being. Not holding out much hope for that though. :rolleyes:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We don't know how to drive in this stuff.
image.jpeg

I have been driving in Snow Emergencies for so many years it is second nature for me. The problem is those who never have done it and try to get in front of a snow plow. White outs and thunder snow storms are actually fun for me!

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
10 inches on the ground and still have another 3 hours to go of snowfall according to the local weather people. It wouldn't be so bad but I lost the satellite around 1, I've watched everything that I had recorded. I guess now I need to get creative.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

We're currently at 15 F or -9 C.

I 64 has remained fairly clear as well as most of the other interstate routes. They've been ensuring they keep the mains & routes to hospitals open, then if they can get to them they try doing some for secondary roads. Wife had a flat tire yesterday evening. She got out of work at around 5 PM but got home around 8 PM. Her egress usually takes only five to ten minutes now.

She hollered at me via the Facebook messenger. Her dad had come over and met her at Kroger's fuel station. It was her driver side fore tire, one that has been having troubles ever since we've come to have the vehicle. I think perhaps it needs reset on the rim so as to ensure it seals there.

Wife has roadside assist on her insurance, called Red Barn, one of our local tow or lend a handy. Took them a bit to change the tire out for her. Seems she has "hiii dolla" rims as someone put locking lug nuts on all the lugs of each wheel. Red Barn guy needed a special bit to get the lugs off.

We've been having minor heating problems as well. The heat pump we've got in the apartment is not rated to such cold weather for such protracted duration. It can drop to being around 65 F in here and well she finds that icy cold. The heat pump though does its best to attempt keeping up. Got a small electric radiant heater to help w/ the offset.

Still got water. Might take to letting it run a trickle though to keep pressure on.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
10 inches on the ground and still have another 3 hours to go of snowfall according to the local weather people. It wouldn't be so bad but I lost the satellite around 1, I've watched everything that I had recorded. I guess now I need to get creative.
if you can knock the snow off the satellite dish....

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if you can knock the snow off the satellite dish....
My daughter's boyfriend came down here and did that but I think he knocked the snow off of the wrong one. There's 2 satellite dishes on top of my house. One for Direct, the other is Dish. I'll climb the ladder in the morning and knock the snow off of the other one.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My daughter's boyfriend came down here and did that but I think he knocked the snow off of the wrong one. There's 2 satellite dishes on top of my house. One for Direct, the other is Dish. I'll climb the ladder in the morning and knock the snow off of the other one.
BE CAREFUL!

Unless the snow is heavy and wet just whacking the pole it is mounted on may cause the snow to fall off.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BE CAREFUL!

Unless the snow is heavy and wet just whacking the pole it is mounted on may cause the snow to fall off.
It's mounted to the roof but it's right on the edge. I'll whack it first(that way I won't have to climb too high on the ladder) to see if the snow will fall off. This snow is fluffy but probably won't be in the morning. I'm surprised that the wind(10mph) hasn't blown it off.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bats, must have been bats roosting on your dish that cleaned it off?
Yeah maybe. Or could have been raccoons that come down from the trees to climb over the roof to get past the dogs. They climb down on the front porch to either eat the cat or dog food.

I can only get SD channels though, not HD.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah maybe. Or could have been raccoons that come down from the trees to climb over the roof to get past the dogs. They climb down on the front porch to either eat the cat or dog food.

I can only get SD channels though, not HD.
Still got some snow on it then degrading the signal.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Morning :wave: All that white stuff that fell yesterday is still here. :sad: Contemplating on whether I want to try getting out today. :huh: Also contemplating whether I'm going to try to get to work. :huh: :coffee2: :cloud: first.. GFY all..

VU Sponsors