Become a Patron!

Dual Coil vs Single Coil

Kris16

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My first day here and I am absolutely loving it. So I just wanted to know whats the difference between dual coil and single coil builds. What are the pros and cons of each and does it come down to preference? Also I was using a website that one of the experts here refereed me to, http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp, and when i click the option for dual coil it says that the total resistance is halved. So does that mean if I want my target at .3 ohms i need to input .6 ohms?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coil setups are largely a matter of preference and, for some, a lot of experimentation. I personally like simple dual setups.

Doubling the number of coils halves the overall resistance of your build - so if you want to end up with a 0.3 resistance build you could build a single 0.3 coil or two 0.6 coils. Steam Engine will do the work for you when you select dual coil and will advise you how to build two 0.6 coils if you plug in 0.3 as your target resistance.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what we're here for, feel free to keep asking questions! What kind of setup are you intending to install this 0.3 build on - atty/mod/batteries?

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sigelei 150w
Mutation x V2
2 Sony 18650 vtc5

Solid setup there! Should run that build quite nicely. Out of curiosity, what type/gauge wire are you using?

Kris16

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well im pretty new to this so i just guessed a 28g would be good , if you dont think so please let me know.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well im pretty new to this so i just guessed a 28g would be good , if you dont think so please let me know.
You may want to go with slightly larger gauge wire, with 28g you will reach 0.3 ohms on dual coils with just 4 wraps (roughly) if you are using a 2mm diameter bit to wrap it on. Doesn't really allow for much surface area with that. I'd personally suggest 24g, it's a lot easier to work with and for a 0.3 ohm dual build you'll have 8 wraps on either side, giving you plenty of surface area (better flavor/vapor).

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry double post - computer is being funky

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, great setup to be using...though I agree with @anendeloflorien that 28g might be a bit small to push that low...26 or 24 might work better. If you've already got the 28, why not try building a little higher, maybe at 0.6? You've got a variable wattage mod, so you can push the same power to any resistance coil, but more surface area will be a good thing.

steven7010

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My first day here and I am absolutely loving it. So I just wanted to know whats the difference between dual coil and single coil builds. What are the pros and cons of each and does it come down to preference? Also I was using a website that one of the experts here refereed me to, http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp, and when i click the option for dual coil it says that the total resistance is halved. So does that mean if I want my target at .3 ohms i need to input .6 ohms?
I have a cloupor 150w and use 26g kanthal a1 twisted dual setup .28ohm burning at 125w i like it alittle hot but man this is a sweet set up but....i think i like 28g twisted just alittle better though

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a cloupor 150w and use 26g kanthal a1 twisted dual setup .28ohm burning at 125w i like it alittle hot but man this is a sweet set up but....i think i like 28g twisted just alittle better though
If I'm not mistaken, a 2 strands 28g twisted wire gets you to a 24g.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep, great setup to be using...though I agree with @anendeloflorien that 28g might be a bit small to push that low...26 or 24 might work better. If you've already got the 28, why not try building a little higher, maybe at 0.6? You've got a variable wattage mod, so you can push the same power to any resistance coil, but more surface area will be a good thing.
I agree. I even think the 24g is the best choice. I'm trying to get the number of wraps in the 8-10 range. More surface area, more vapor. Dual coil 24 gauge 7 wraps 2.5mm => 0.3 Ohm
However, since the OP seems to have 28g only, I'd to a 2-3 strands 28g twisted wire coil build.

steven7010

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree. I even think the 24g is the best choice. I'm trying to get the number of wraps in the 8-10 range. More surface area, more vapor. Dual coil 24 gauge 7 wraps 2.5mm => 0.3 Ohm
However, since the OP seems to have 28g only, I'd to a 2-3 strands 28g twisted wire coil build.
Yea i do like the 24g but for me i like an
.5ohm i think for my cloupor 150w but im still playing around with all of this

Kris16

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok thanks so much guys I will definitely buy a 24g, i just cant build all this fancy stuff yet cuz im prretty new but ill use 24g from now on

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
28g triple parallel is a beast vape 7 wraps dual coil will get ya abot .3

Kris16

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is there any video or anything thatll teach me how to do that?

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Watch any youtube video on parallel coils. Rip tripper build videos are pretty good quality. Then just add a third wire its the same process.

I have the Clouper T8 and i would assume that is yours as well goes up to 150W but if you use a voltage tester it only goes up to 70 watts. I was watching a video last night and had heard about it went to my vape shop and we tested it on 4 different Cloupers we tried two brand new and 2 used and all of them showed the same thing with up to 0.3 volt difference.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is there any video or anything thatll teach me how to do that?
Do yourself a favor and start out with simple coils first untill you have that down pat..this will teach you some basics before trying to be some coil guru and making fancy coils..Simple always works out best in the long run anyways.

steven7010

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Clouper T8 and i would assume that is yours as well goes up to 150W but if you use a voltage tester it only goes up to 70 watts. I was watching a video last night and had heard about it went to my vape shop and we tested it on 4 different Cloupers we tried two brand new and 2 used and all of them showed the same thing with up to 0.3 volt difference.
Really im going to look in to that if its true ill jump right on a sigelei

VU Sponsors