Become a Patron!

Dual 18650 safety

jahines1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so I have an atlas with a single vtc5 that I trust when it comes to building low ohms. But I am considering buying a dual 18650 box mod and am curious if having two bats would make any diffrence on the stress a sub ohm build puts on them?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Just purchase two NEW identical batteries and use them as a dedicated pair in a dual 18650 mod.

Or two sets so you can swap them out.

jahines1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I wouldn't have to worry bout bout ohms if I'm running duals? I ask because I'm running pretty low right now. I know my vtc5 is good with it. But with them not being available and all the fake and re branded battery's out there I'm paranoid of getting something that is dangerous with my builds

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I run .15 ohm duals in my box mods that use mated/balanced Sony VTC5's with no issues ever.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
So I wouldn't have to worry bout bout ohms if I'm running duals? I ask because I'm running pretty low right now. I know my vtc5 is good with it. But with them not being available and all the fake and re branded battery's out there I'm paranoid of getting something that is dangerous with my builds
Just make sure they are IMR batteries........NEVER ICR.....then follow Uncle's advice.

jahines1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was thinking of some orbtronic sx30s

jahines1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
.15 is lower then I plan I was thinking more like .3 just don't wanna buy a set and have one be re branded and not know it

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Look for clear lines in the font on the battery....if they look like they were printed on a dot matrix printer...they are probably fake. Also buy from reputable shops (avoid ebay). I also do not recommend getting batteries from Fasttech.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Also keep in mind that a number of brands are rebranded, that does not necessarily make them shit. Some places market batteries but do not actually manufacture them.

jahines1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know I might still get good battery's but worried that they might be diffrent. Like the fake vtc5 out there from my understanding are various diffrent cells just re wrapped. What's a good source to ensure I don't get two diffrent cells wrapped the same

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're running to mated/balanced identical batteries in parallel (not series) in an unregulated box mod what it does is split the load of the atomizer equally between the two making the workload much easier for the batteries. If you run in parallel you still max out at 4.2 volts with freshly charged batteries but since each battery is only doing half the work you can (in theory) build lower than you could with only a single battery because only half of the amps for the load is coming from each battery doubling your amp limit (in theory). This is how you get double the mah life from using two batteries as well because you have to batteries sharing the load equally.

If you run unregulated in series (stacking the batteries as it's more commonly referred to as,) you have double the voltage (8.4 volts fully charged) but have the amp limit as if you were running a single battery as well as the same mah as if you were running a single battery because you have two batteries now working together to push out twice the power in the same amount of time as if you had just one.

hope that helps

KeyBee

Member For 5 Years
exactly
+ if you run stacked batteries (in series) I would recommend to switch the batteries position after every recharge. The first battery in series is under heavier load (actually it is the warmer one if you touch them). At least I ve heared so and "touched" so.

jahines1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok I think parallel would be how I would go. A seingeli 100w would be regulated wouldn't it? I'm debating between that or the beast

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Segeli is a regulated mod....it actually runs off of batteries in series because it's chipset is designed for higher voltage input. But, because it's a regulated mod the chipset handles the amp current and not the batteries directly themselfs....the chipset has to draw so many volts and amps to run and convert it to whatever wattage/amperage is needed to give you the desired power you've set on it for your current atty.

IMHO parallel is the way to go in Unregulated box mods....but in regulated mods like the segeli/IPV it is still important that you have a pair of married/matched batteries and that you only use those two batteries for that mod and you charge them at the same time and that they are drained as evenly as possible because of how those mods draw power from the batteries. Safety first and happy vaping!

VU Sponsors