Become a Patron!

Dual 18650 discharge!

Cheechmachine506

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello! just bought my first mod with dual 18650's! (cloudpor t8). Curious how the batterys discharge so i can always have an idea which battery to have charged. My question is, does one single 18650 discharge completely than move onto the next for discharge? Or do they both discharge at the same rate? Or does one drop down lets say to 3.5v than the next than down to completely dead and back on to the next? I checked voltage on both batteries, one was 3.6 and one was 3.9 but i hadnt let the 3.9 completely charge before putting it in and am too lazy to charge them up, use the mod and than check how this works. I assumed it would be much faster to come on here and ask the pro's! Also one more question! is the reason the t8 cant charge batteries in the mod because of the fact there is two of them housing the mod? is it a safety issue or not possible? Or did cloudpor just make it inconvenient? lol Thanks guys!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Were these singles now paired up? then you are doing it wrong setting yourself up for failure.
New set marry them together, get a sharpie and number them one and two, etc. etc.
If you do not then the failure and resulting laughter will be at you not with you.

Cheechmachine506

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Were these singles now paired up? then you are doing it wrong setting yourself up for failure.
New set marry them together, get a sharpie and number them one and two, etc. etc.
If you do not then the failure and resulting laughter will be at you not with you.
These are married and this is a regulated mod.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They discharge across both at the same time if there is no issues with the internals.
As for charging in the mod?
Would not trust cloupor to pull it off safely, better off using your regular battery charger.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
These are married and this is a regulated mod.
Dude, take those batteries out, charge them fully, and ideally use a DMM to make sure the voltage is the same. These mods need married batteries of the same type at the same charge level and will drain each one simultaneously at the same rate, assuming all is working properly.

Now, the technical stuff I'm not certain of, but, my understanding is that having unmatched batteries, wether model, charge or whatever, more load will be put on one battery, and that mod being regulated wont matter at all. No guarantee, but you might likely vent a battery. You're asking for trouble being too lazy to charge them. Just do it, even if its your only device, I'm sure you can go without vaping long enough to charge properly. With Cloupor's recent history I feel its even more the reason to do things by the book, though even with a $400 custom box with the best of everything id follow this advice/rule. Its done for a reason.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If one is 3.9v and the other 3.6v you are already heading for trouble. Use a charger that can charge both at the same time. Get a second pair so that you can use it while the first pair charge if you can't wait.

Last edited:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If one is 3.9v and the other 3.6v you are already heading for trouble. Use a charger that can charge both at the same time. Get a second pair so that you can use it while the first pair charge if you can't wait.
Exactly this. I really want to emphasize that regulated wont do shit to protect you from mismatched or insufficient batteries. I recommend alternating which sled you charge and use each battery in, left and right, each time you chnge them, as well. That way if there is a slight difference in drain or charge, it will be balancing out each time. Emphasis on slight.

This is precisely why i want a second box, that uses 1 18650. I have three pairs for my iPV3, which is plenty, but i want to use my other batteries more.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Definitely need equal batteries. Or one will be overworked and fail, the weaker one may try to supply more current then it's capable of and/or the stronger one may try to charge the weaker one.

Anyway, how long the two batteries last depends on your vaping habits and battery age.
Higher wattage = faster drain. Vaping a lot = faster drain. Older batteries = less usage

At 75 watts on a 0.2 ohm coil, a pair of efast purple 35 amp batts lasts me less then a day on work days. Put in my current pair before leaving work today (bit over 5 hours ago). Already down to 70% charge and they will be dead by lunch time tomorrow. And this is with only vaping at home or on breaks at work. Can't really say for my days off. Could be a day, could be a half a day. Drain in 1-2 hours if nearly non-stop vaping. My oldest set goes dead noticeably faster.

At 50 watts, they lasted a day and a half work days and when I used an Atlantis tank at 35 watts, nearly 2 days.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got 2 pairs, labeled 1,2,3,4. Because there may be a slightly stronger draw on one or another, I always rotate them out between charges, so looking at them in the box over 5 battery swaps I'll be looking at the numbers like 1/2, 3/4, 2/1, 4/3, 1/2...but when I say slightly stronger draw I mean when I plop them in the charger I'll sometimes get a 0.1v charge difference displaying, sometimes nothing - 0.3v sounds like too much.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've got 2 pairs, labeled 1,2,3,4. Because there may be a slightly stronger draw on one or another, I always rotate them out between charges, so looking at them in the box over 5 battery swaps I'll be looking at the numbers like 1/2, 3/4, 2/1, 4/3, 1/2...but when I say slightly stronger draw I mean when I plop them in the charger I'll sometimes get a 0.1v charge difference displaying, sometimes nothing - 0.3v sounds like too much.
That's basically my approach, I just have 3 pairs, labeled iPV3 1,2, and 3, each labeled with A and B. I'm anal, so I try to not even have a difference to the hundredth, but at most, they'll be .01 off. One of those things that really doesn't require any effort, so just do it, it's your safety we're talking about.

VU Sponsors