Drilling OBS Crius

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I went and ordered the OBS Crius without realizing there was a V2 coming out. Apparently the post holes in the V1 aren't very large. I found out about this after I ordered it. I want to be able to put dual coils in this, but don't think a whole lot of parallel, fused and/or alien builds will fit with the post holes as they are. At least not dual coils.

So, I'm just curious if anyone else has drilled out the holes, or even drilled a whole new 2nd set of holes along with the original holes.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I drilled my holes out on my v1 crius, was easy to do, and put in claptons in after I drilled it out :)

eEOgl3L.jpg
Vl9Rrmi.jpg

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Cool, thanks!

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I drilled my holes out on my v1 crius, was easy to do, and put in claptons in after I drilled it out :)

eEOgl3L.jpg
Vl9Rrmi.jpg
Curious, how did you go about it? I just finally got the job done on my TFv4 single deck, but it killed 4 drill bits(1 cobalt, 3 titanium) before it was done. Any advice for future attempts?

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Curious, how did you go about it? I just finally got the job done on my TFv4 single deck, but it killed 4 drill bits(1 cobalt, 3 titanium) before it was done. Any advice for future attempts?

Just bought normal metal drill pieces from walmart, went slow and steady without much pressure, was easier than I thought it would be.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Guess I just didn't have the patience, but, got it done none the less, and now I have an excellent 3wire twist vertical coil in there, and my god is it excellent. Perfect heat up timing and size, just ahh... beats my dual 26g twisted on this tank, which is saying something. Only thing left to consider is hood modifications for more juice flow, we'll see if it's needed. Anyways thanks for the comment.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
From a machinists perspective... Did you use anything for coolant? I would recommend doing that. Also, you can use high speed steel, titanium (actually TiN coated) cobalt or carbide. Carbide is the hardest of the three but the most brittle. Cobalt would do good but in my industry at least, you're working with a 135 degree drill point which is going to want to walk. I don't know off the top of my head but I'm guessing the tfv4 is made from either 304 or 316L stainless steel. I work with these materials every day and from my experience this is the ideal formula. Coolant, feeding the drill asfastas you can get away with and spin the drill as slow as you can get away with. When a drill makes a chip that chip sheds heat. The more you can dissipate that heat the better. The faster you feed and slower you spin, the bigger the chip. Stainless is a funny metal in the sense that it's very susceptible to a condition known as "work hardening". Basically the material builds up enough heat that it's formed a surface layer who's properties have changed. This work hardened layer can be a real bitch to get through. This truly sucks. If you work harden a piece of stainless, short of carbide , you're pretty much effed. That's probably why you burnt out the bits. Believe me, before I knew about speeds and feeds I killed many a drill. It still happens, especially when working with superalloys like incolnel and hastelloy.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the info, will certainly put it to use in the future. I actually had some theories about what I was doing right/wrong and it's exactly in line with this, which is cool. I'm hardly a professional but I do have some experience with this kind of stuff but never such a thick piece of metal with such a small bit (1/16). I was trying different things, take the pressure off and let the drill do the work is the general rule of thumb for wood so I tried that. I was surely wrong on that and I think that just lead to some of that work hardened aspects you described. With one hole once I got it going I just went medium speed and it was easy. The other side was a pain in the behind, I thought either the fact that I wasn't using much pressure and trying to use speed was just heat treating the metal making it harder (seems to line up with what you were saying) or that the positive end of the deck was a different harder metal.

Thanks for the tips though, I'm sure it's not the last time I'll be having fun with this kind of stuff. It was only $5 in bits so not a huge loss and so so worth it (hitting this thing with up to 150w and it's singing).

I did use a coolant but I think my main issue was the pressure and maybe the bits dulling? I'd put pressure on it trying to catch something and...snap. Too much pressure probably. I didn't have any quality machinery just a household battery drill and some bits from Ace.

dwalters719

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Up to what gauge can you fit into the new version with the velocity deck.

VU Sponsors